Latitudes

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I know I seen a lot more movies than 3, in the last couple weeks since I updated this thread, but damn if I can remember them
Some of them were probably HoF movies, so you've probably already written about them in the HoF threads.

I know I seen a lot more movies than 3, in the last couple weeks since I updated this thread, but damn if I can remember them
Seems like the time to plug Letterboxd. Get on it, you'll love it.

I know Letterboxd is a movie website, but what does it do that would have helped in this case?
I use it for the diary and ratings. https://letterboxd.com/seanc/films/diary/

Check out the link you can see the layout of my profile and diary and what not. I always call it the perfect companion to Mofo. There for rating, here for discussion.

I use it for the diary and ratings. https://letterboxd.com/seanc/films/diary/

Check out the link you can see the layout of my profile and diary and what not. I always call it the perfect companion to Mofo. There for rating, here for discussion.

It looks like a pretty good site. It's a free site, right?

It looks like a pretty good site. It's a free site, right?
Yeah, totally free. They have a pro level they advertise but all it does different is aggregate your yearly info. Everything I have ever needed is in the free version. No limits on lists or diary entries. Let us know if you sign up. There are a few Mofos on there, we will follow you.

Yeah, totally free. They have a pro level they advertise but all it does different is aggregate your yearly info. Everything I have ever needed is in the free version. No limits on lists or diary entries. Let us know if you sign up. There are a few Mofos on there, we will follow you.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know if I decide to sign up. (But it won't be tonight because It's been a long day, and I'm exhausted.)

Song One (2014)
Director & Writer: Kate Barker-Froyland
Stars: Anne Hathaway, Johnny Flynn, Mary Steenburgen
Genre: Drama, Music
Length: 86 minutes

Not a musical...but a movie about music and the power that it contains.

Franny (Anne Hathaway) returns home to her estranged family when a traffic accident leaves her brother comatose and in the hospital. She's not seen her brother in years and does not know the person that he has become. So she begins uncovering the life of the brother she doesn't know by reading his journals and talking to his friends. She then finds he's been an aspiring musician. Franny also discovers his love for music in the process. After she attends a concert that he had tickets to, she becomes romantically involved with her brothers favorite musician, James Forrester (Johnny Flynn.) Together by playing music for her brother they try to wake him from his comatose state. Mary Steenburgen plays her mother in a smaller supporting role.

Through the exploration of music we learn of the lives of musicians and those who aspire to be.

Anne Hathaway is very convincing as a grieving sister who's trying to make amends with her estranged family while she cares for her brother. She's really a talented actresses and is a big part of why this film works.

Song One, is a very simple, low key, indie film shot in semi documentary style. It looks good as it's shot on the streets of New York City which lends to the indie look.
This might look like a romance movie but it's about the exploration of music. There's lots of original music in the film. I think anybody with artistic or musical endeavors might find some truth in this film and would enjoy it.

This film sounds interesting, adding it to my watchlist.

You should watch it, at least the first episode. I'm still waiting to get MASH season 2. After those shows I think I want to watch The Love Boat.
Why do you want to watch The Love Boat Citizen? It's just so much fluff, and if you want to catch up on classic television, there's much better stuff to spend your time on, JMO.

Welcome to Me (2014)

Director: Shira Piven
Stars: Kristen Wiig, James Marsden, Linda Cardellini
Genre: Comedy, Drama

Alice Klieg is a likable but neurotic young woman who suffers from borderline personality disorder. She lives her life in a TV fantasy and hasn't shut off her TV in 11 years. Nothing goes her way, until she wins 86 million dollars in a lottery. She then quits taking her 'happy pills' and decides to spend her millions buying her own TV talk show 'Welcome to Me', where she proceeds to spill her guts on live TV.

I mostly liked this one. I don't know why it had to be an R rating, the story itself is suited to PG13. Do we really need all this potty mouth in what could have been a fresh and fun movie. With a little better decisions by the director, this could have been a exceptional film.

Better luck next time....

This movie sounds like a lot of fun, adding it to my watchlist.

I have to say Julie Andrews topless wasn't a thing of beauty, though the scene was kind of funny. The best thing for me about S.O.B. was all of the stars in it. It's a plethora of who's who in Hollywood.
I liked S.O.B. a lot more than you did, Citizen, but I will agree that Andrews baring her breasts was sort of anti-climactic by the time it actually happens. I wish you would give the movie a re-watch, I hate that you didn't like a movie that I love as much as this one, but if you agree to one re-watch and still don't like it, I will leave you alone about it.

Wild in the Streets (1968)
Director: Barry Shear
Stars: Christopher Jones, Shelley Winters, Diane Varsi
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Music
Rating: R

Max Frost is America's most popular counterculture rock star, who has the ability to rally his fans to do his bidding. What he wants is voting rights for teenagers of 14 years of age. As his celebrity grows he runs for president with the campaign slogan, "All oldsters are required to live in "retirement homes" where they are forced to ingest LSD."....Those damn kids!

This must have been a pretty wild film in it's time. Note the R rating which is unusual for this type of film back in 1968. What's interesting is this is about the baby boomers/ hippie movement of the 1960s, and the movie is made in 1968, making it a time capsule of a changing America. I wonder how many 'squares' were scared silly by this film?

I like Shelly Winters and Hal Holbrook in it and the actually look at people and places in groovy 1968.

I don't know if you know this, Citizen, but Wild in the Streets is bookmarked in cinema history because it features the film debut of The Brady Bunch's Barry Williams.

Song One...This film sounds interesting, adding it to my watchlist.
Good, I'm glad to hear it. It's not a big film but it's interesting in it's own way.

Welcome to Me...This movie sounds like a lot of fun, adding it to my watchlist.
I really liked it! I thought it was unique. I look forward to your review.

Why do you want to watch The Love Boat Citizen? It's just so much fluff, and if you want to catch up on classic television, there's much better stuff to spend your time on, JMO.
Why Do I watch the Love Boat? It makes me smile Sure it's fluff...but it's charming, happy fluff that makes me happy to watch it. I grew up watching the Love Boat so there's also the nostalgia factor. And I love cruises and I've been on Princess ships too. I've been on many cruises and about to take my 15th cruise. So when I watch the show it's like taking a vacation for me

Grand Princess in Florida, I took that photo before getting on the ship, of course.

Sunset in the Caribbean. If you watch the Love Boat they often do dramatic scenes on the Promenade deck and their 'deck set by the railings' looks very much like this. Of course I took this photo.

Confession time: for some reason I really liked the made-for-TV Love Boat movies that preceded the TV show.

Oh... and same with the Fantasy Island pilot movies. I didn't like the TV show as much because in the movies Mr. Roarke was almost something of a villain (one with a lesson to teach). He was an ominous character, almost like a Bond villain, but instead of wanting to conquer the world, he wanted to show people the error of their ways. When the TV show came around they made him more into some kind of magical guru.

I've only see one of the prequel TV Love Boat Movies and that was the last one featuring the TV cast. It was cool as they shot it on the real Pacific Princess and not in the studio. The characters were just 'forming' so it was fun to see how they evolved over the years. I do want to watch the other TV movies, I hope I can find them.

OK, Citizen, I understand it's not just a matter of catching up with classic TV for you, there's a sentimental attachment for you to the show and I understand that, so go for it!

Gideon I have been watching classic TV series on DVD. Right now I'm watching MASH, Dobie Gillis and Love Boat. Do you have any classic TV recommendations from those time periods?

Off the top of my head, some series television from the 60's, 70's, 80's, & 90's that I would recommend if you haven't already seen them:

The Wild Wild West
Peyton Place
Batman
All in the Family
Maude
Taxi
That Girl
Who's the Boss?
Mannix
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Odd Couple (Randall & Klugman)
The Partridge Family