Meryl Streep and Donald Trump

Tools    

I don't follow this on a daily basis, but if Trump talks about getting along with other leaders and was against the Iran nuclear deal, why is nuclear war more likely with him president?
He talks alot about expanding our nuclear program, and using nukes if necessary. He has a very relaxed attitude when discussing nuclear war.

I'm not a doomsday person. I think things will probably be more of the same. I wish he would tone it down though. I literally have not seen anyone this in love with his own persona. No wonder he loves professional wrestling.

He talks alot about expanding our nuclear program, and using nukes if necessary. He has a very relaxed attitude when discussing nuclear war.

I'm not a doomsday person. I think things will probably be more of the same. I wish he would tone it down though. I literally have not seen anyone this in love with his own persona. No wonder he loves professional wrestling.
I think they're all in love with themselves, but he doesn't hide it.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Meryl Streep will still be making movies four years from now, but Trump will leave the White House in disgrace before then.
I hope so, but at the moment...

You said it earlier and got it right, Trump is a narcissistic individual. He's intelligent but has the emotional need for attention of a 4 year old. Think about how small children demand attention and throw tantrums when they don't get it...now think about Trump.

I think they're all in love with themselves, but he doesn't hide it.
Yeah, there is that. I think there is a fine line between being a phony or just letting your true feelings be known all the time. Just a smidge of decorum would be nice from the president though. It's as if Hulk Hogan is running the country. Makes me feel icky.

Yeah, there is that. I think there is a fine line between being a phony or just letting your true feelings be known all the time. Just a smidge of decorum would be nice from the president though. It's as if Hulk Hogan is running the country. Makes me feel icky.
We had 8 years of nauseating fake niceness with the Obamas. This change right here with Trump... was coming.

We had 8 years of nauseating fake niceness with the Obamas. This change right here with Trump... was coming.
I will be the first to say Obama was a pretty sensitive president who didn't like to be called into question too much. He is downright made of lead compared to Trump.

Welcome to the human race...
Whether it's the big screen, DVD or TV, I pay and support actors to pretend they are Walter White, Miranda Priestly, Governor Mike Morris, etc. I don't care what their personal opinions and agendas are. The only thing they can accomplish with their hissy fits, is to turn me off of their acting, as they become real life political prima donnas. I'm sure there are also those who will like them more for their antics. It's simple, if they have the right to drag politics into entertainment, Trump has the right to drag entertainment into politics.
It's not simple. That last sentence is a false equivalence (and also a bit rich coming from someone with a Pump Up the Volume avatar). Politics and entertainment aren't mutually exclusive concepts that have to be forced to rub up against one another - a piece of entertainment already has its politics embedded within it to one extent or another. Per one of your examples, the entire premise of Breaking Bad hinges on the absence of universal health care in America as the main reason Walt turns to drug-dealing is to pay his medical bills. This was kind of what Streep was getting at with her line about how "without Hollywood, all you get to watch are sports and MMA". This is admittedly a severe and elitist oversimplification, but she does have a point - the people responsible for making great art are expressing worldviews that resonate with audiences and politics tend to be significant parts of people's worldviews. It only becomes disagreeable when the politics are too overt (e.g. the Star Wars boycotts), but art is supposed to challenge one's worldview instead of encourage one to withdraw into one's comfort zone.

Even if you are just going to write off Streep and co. as ineffectual Hollywood types who ultimately preach to the choir and don't have that great an effect on the world at large, that's still fundamentally preferable to the idea of a celebrity with no political experience successfully running for President against multiple experienced politicians (and that's without even taking Trump's particularly extreme politics into account). Being President isn't supposed to be a popularity contest, it's supposed to be about finding the person who can do the best job for the country. This is a problem that admittedly goes beyond Trump, but that doesn't mean it excuses his particular success.

....Even if you are just going to write off Streep and co. as ineffectual Hollywood types who ultimately preach to the choir...that's still fundamentally preferable to the idea of a celebrity with no political experience successfully running for President...Being President isn't supposed to be a popularity contest, it's supposed to be about finding the person who can do the best job for the country.
I find myself agreeing with you....and oddly enough, Trump winning makes me start to agree with Guap's idea that 'muricans are ignorant or at least 46.1% of us are

I hate to use an affirmative action argument, but sometimes when the pendulum has been in one position for so long, when it swings back it goes WAY over in the other direction.

Political Correctness has brought this country to the brink. So, although I have many misgivings about Trump, it may take someone swinging the pendulum WAY over the line to help things equalize again.

I'm kind of hopeful for the future even if some people get their easily sensitized feelings hurt because I'd like to see:
  • respect restored to those millions of police who are honest and putting their lives on the line to protect the innocent;
  • a restoration of respect & support for our military (and a mutual respect restored from them toward their Commander in Chief);
  • the benefits due veterans restored to them;
  • an end to capitulating to terrorists;
  • no more negotiating with terrorists, setting them free or trading 5 of theirs for 1 of ours;
  • no more negotiating with terrorist nations;
  • no more appeasement to those who'd like us all dead;
  • the rule of law respected;
  • rewards granted to those wishing to become citizens and going through the proper legal channels to do so;
  • borders made secure for a country that has already been attacked and is long overdue for an adequate level of security and appropriate countermeasures;
  • and an end to a President who bases all the conclusions he jumps to (while he warns others against doing the same) on whether someone's skin is the same color as his or if they "look like" children he might have had!

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Being President isn't supposed to be a popularity contest, it's supposed to be about finding the person who can do the best job for the country.

A pessimist and an idealist, good for you.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Going after how my avatar looks or what it represents, hmm, that's a bit à la Trump, isn't it? I'm starting to feel the way Hillary and Streep assumed the reporter felt.

Welcome to the human race...
But do you WALK hard?
Hell, no. That movie was not good.

Going after how my avatar looks or what it represents, hmm, that's a bit à la Trump, isn't it? I'm starting to feel the way Hillary and Streep assumed the reporter felt.
It just seems incongruous with your complaints about celebrities "throwing hissy fits" against corrupt authority figures.

I dont understand though,why hes allowed to stay or there not being done anything,if they think the russians were responsible for getting him elected?

I dont understand though,why hes allowed to stay or there not being done anything,if they think the russians were responsible for getting him elected?
I've never actually heard anyone official say the Russians were responsible for getting him elected. Thing is it's debatable how much of a role that played in it, all that has came up is that US Security believes they intervened on his behalf and there's no concrete proof that he had anything to do with it himself whether you believe he did or not. They didn't commit voter fraud, they didn't suppress voters or anything (at least from what's been confirmed or close to confirmed) what they did was leak real DNC emails. Plus it seems like Ukraine were doing the opposite of Russia trying to sabotage Trump to get Hilary elected.

Anyone feel free to correct me if any of that is wrong, been trying to avoid this stuff but it's difficult to and i may have picked up some tidbits and missed others.