THE MOFO CHILL CLUB

Tools    

Can you explain why?
I'm too cheap to get one. I hate texting. I hate talking on the phone. I have no real social life, so if someone needs to reach me, they can call me at home or at work. If I am actually out, chances are I'm with FF so if it's an emergency and someone needs to reach me, they can call her.

I had a cell phone at one point. I almost never used it and decided it wasn't worth keeping so I got rid of it.

I want the boombox to come back. I miss the big, heavy boombox with the handle and all my cassette tapes. That was my favorite music delivery system. It was also the easiest way to make your own mix tape. Which I used to obsessively do. I used to record myself speaking on these tapes and act like a DJ.

Hellraiser was actually inspired by Clive Barker's visits to gay leather/S&M clubs. That's what the cenobites basically are -- they're undead, supernatural sadomasochists from Hell. The original title of the movie was Sadomasochists from Beyond the Grave.

I see -- though many would disagree with this -- Hellraiser, in fact, as an allegory for a man getting AIDS. Many people think it's about exploring sexuality and being open to different sexual experience. I think it's about the dangers of sexual exploration. It's about a man (Frank) who goes too far and can't go back to what he was. He wastes away to bone, then attacks other men and kills them by drinking their blood, wasting away all of them to bone. It's an AIDS parable. Hellraiser is deeper than you think, I believe. I don't know if Clive Barker intended it to be so, but I think that's what's going on with it. Clive Barker was a man who pushed himself to the limits with sex. It's no surprise to me that he apparently has HIV now.
I totally got the inspiration for the cenobites, and as Barker is originally from Liverpool; there have been numerous British documentries made about him. The best retrospective (whilst quite old now) was an episode of The South Bank Show that originally aired on ITV in the UK about fifteen years ago. Fascinating look at his life and art when he was at the peak of his popularity.

Your take on Hellraiser is one I've not heard before and makes a lot of sense considering Barker's lifestyle, and when the film was made. I recently picked up the Anchor Bay blu ray for $4 and have the trilogy on dvd so may give them a rewatch before Bloodline. Your further description plus spoilers of that one sounds awful, but I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Master of My Domain
I'm too cheap to get one. I hate texting. I hate talking on the phone. I have no real social life, so if someone needs to reach me, they can call me at home or at work. If I am actually out, chances are I'm with FF so if it's an emergency and someone needs to reach me, they can call her.

I had a cell phone at one point. I almost never used it and decided it wasn't worth keeping so I got rid of it.
I understand. Sometimes I wish I could get rid of almost all of my social life too and just be in peace, but that's currently impossible for me.

Master of My Domain
I hate talking on the phone too. I don't know why.
Because the phone always rings when you're having fun?

This year is actually the 20th anniversary of when Hellraiser: Bloodline came out. It was released here on March 8, 1996. I went to see it on Saturday, March 9, 1996. I was obsessed with the movie for the rest of the year and onward. I mean, I had seen the others, of course, but I was obsessed with that one at the time. I had the movie poster and everything. I still have the soundtrack on CD.

I understand. Sometimes I wish I could get rid of almost all of my social life and just be in peace, but that's currently impossible for me.
I think a lot of people our generation do. There's a certain appeal to ridding yourself of technology and possessions and just feeling at peace.

I hate talking on the phone too. I don't know why.
I hate talking on the phone because it's my job to talk on the phone. I do it all damn day at work, I don't really want to do it on my time off.

Though talking on the phone to FF doesn't require much effort. You just hold the phone to your ear and throw in a word or two here and there. She does the rest.

Also, not having a cell phone makes it much easier to dodge calls from the office. "Oh you called me? Sorry, I wasn't home."

I talked to Rodent on my phone the other day. Well, Christmas Eve.

I talked to Rodent on my phone the other day. Well, Christmas Eve.
I picture that constantly shifting from awkward to awesome, and then sometimes both, at a very rapid pace.

I could barely understand what he was saying. I kept going, "What??? What????" Cause his accent can be hard to decipher.

Did he says "cheers" at the end?
No. He was surprised at how deep my voice was, but could still detect gayness in it (which I completely understood), and he thought I was quieter than normal. I did manage to ask him if he was watching Young Guns.

I gave my phone number to Yoda after that whole cinemaafficionado thing. He never called me though.
Well, Yoda actually wanted to three-way with me and Rodent, but I fled the scene.

Was he eating tea and crumpets?
No. Another thing he did was laugh at how I said "liquor." You know, we Americans say it like "licker." But not him. It's LIQ-UOURRRRR.

You sure he wasn't saying liquour which is different? Brits don't normally say liquor. We say booze, to which someone else quickly replies, yes please!