The Two Towers

→ in
Tools    

I have to watch this again...with everyday that passes since I saw it, the better it seems to get...The only thing I would've liked to see them do is develop Faromir's(sp) character more...Everything else was awesome.

guess i'm gonna be the exception here then, i thought this film (and its predecessor) were mediocre at best. they were at time annoyingly sentimental, i found the charcaters almost impossible to relate to, certainly to like, and it was far too long (yeh i know the book was huge but i still thought it was overlong to the point of being boring). oh, and boromir died? i must have missed that, guess i was asleep.

Lets put a smile on that block
I actually think my bum rotted away while i watching this film. It seemed to go on forever. Normallly long films i can deal with but this one did seem a lot longer than FOTR.
I think that maybe it was just the enviroment i was watching it in. A massive hot, stuffy cinema with posture destroying chairs and everyone so packed together there are knife attacks going on over who should have the arm rest. Films as long and as in depth as The two Towers should have an interval of at least 5 minutes i think. What do u think?
When i watch this at home i should imagine i will enjoy it a lot more. The first half was brilliant, with the superb opening scene and some truly scary bits with Gollum and Frodo walking across that swamp. but the middle of the film just seemed to drag on. It focused a lot more on Arragon and the battle and i just found my self becoming bored. however, the last hour did make up for it mostly and those Tree dudes (cant remember their names) were awsome. But i would have to say Gollum made the film for me...
My precioussssss....

I heard that the Scouring Of The Shire wasn't in the film at all Vyse, something about it being extra to the story and that the 'flashback' in the first film being all that will be shown of it. To be honest, to me it seemed tacked on at the end in the book as well. I know what it was saying but it just seemed "extra." If it means I get half an hour extra of the battle scenes at the end then i'm all for it. I know some of the hardcore Tolkien enthusiasts will baulk at the idea of this but they are film adaptations not exact retellings. I do hope that Sam gets to be a ringbearer though as I thought that it was quite important to the story.

The reason that the film ended when it did is that in the last two books Sam and Frodo don't actually have a lot to do. What they do get up to could be told in rather a small amount of screen time. Most of the fifth and sixth book is concentrated on Aragorn side of the story and the differing adventures of Merry and Pippin. As Frodo, and the ring, is the main emphasis of the story they needed to be in it more. Hence Shelob and the encounter with the Orcs has been put back into the third film. The thing is its one story told in three parts so its not as if its not going to be in there at all.

Gollum was fantastic and I believe that PJ (and his team!) should get some recognition from the Academy for this great achievement. Not with a best supporting actor gong as i have heard some people call for but with some sort of Special Recognition award as the combination of CG and actor driven performance was fantastic and streets ahead of anything we've seen previously. Gollum also looked scarily like Andy Serkis too!

I know some people have taken exception the Aragon going missing but the people who I went with, having not read the books, thought that he was dead and his reappearance worked very well for them. PJ has to appeal to people who havent read the book as well.

I havent heard any annoyance at the portrayal of the March Of The Ents, something that isnt really covered in a lot of detail in the books, only in flashback. This was something that PJ put in extra to the book. This was done extremely well and was dealt with a lot better on screen than in the original text. So before people start moaning about this scene and that being in the film or a certain chapter not being in the film be grateful for this scene!

I though TTT was excellent, although it did drag a bit during the first half although having read the books I did understand why. There was a lot of story that needed to be told to get the characters where they needed to be. Didnt stop me going back for more the next day though. Roll on next xmas!

i actually thought that this one was much better than the fotr, despite the liberties pj took with this movie....gollum was excellent as was the battle of helm's deep...

oh and in answer to linespalsy's question about the ralph bakshi's version, i enjoyed it as well...

Gollum/Smeagol was just incredible... ... and I totally agree film freak, PJ and his team should get some kind of special recognition award for him…

FOTR started developing the characters but TTT let us see inside… I loved the Ents and all the one-liners....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
This movie was long, i mean we had an intermission.
It was all worth it though. It was better than the first movie
PRECIOUS!

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Lets put a smile on that block
At my uni cinema we have an intermission. I asked what everyone else though about havin an interval in this film but i was ignored When i went to see it i didnt have one and i nearley died.
I think Its a wicked idea coz you can pee (or poo) and top up on the snacks, plus battle that deep vein thrombosis by strecthin ya legs a little.

Originally posted by blibblobblib
I think Its a wicked idea coz you can pee (or poo) and top up on the snacks, plus battle that deep vein thrombosis by strecthin ya legs a little.
ROFL er, I mean...YECH!!!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally posted by blibblobblib
At my uni cinema we have an intermission. I asked what everyone else though about havin an interval in this film but i was ignored When i went to see it i didnt have one and i nearley died.
Well, I guess if you don't get a break inbetween...

I for one, enjoyed TTT more than FOTR and didn't feel the length of time as much. Gollum/Smeagal was awesome. I have read the book (WAY back in high school) and don't care about the liberties that were taken. The only scene I would've left out in TTT would've been the dream. Overall, great.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I love the LOTR and will guard it's radiance to the day I die.

Those who do not appreciate any part of it should be locked inside a mechanical donkey and forced to live on carrots presented by small children at community fairs.

Originally posted by Vyse
Right, lets get this straight before I begin. I LOVE film. Film is my life. Film, art, and film as art. I loved FoTR.

It seems that in most cases, the audience going to see TTT had made up their minds before actually going to see the film. People wanted to love TTT, and understandably, my own opinion is that people are looking to re-create the experience surrounding certain "classic" movies when they were younger (not forgetting how high the original film raised the bar). So I'll begin *takes deep breath*

The fake Aragorn death sequence/Warg attack felt totally out of place to me, tacked on, interrupting the flow of the film. Jackson's continual portrayal of characters supposedly falling to their doom is growing a little tired already, and it is as if he were influenced by huge musical number in the middle of Big Idea’s Jonah, and decided the God of second chances rules over Middle-Earth also.

I keep hearing talk of the film requiring an extra hour, this is non-sense, the film could easily have been 45mins shorter, in fact this may have been beneficial in its current state. The climax took way to look to reach, the characters continually moving around the key issues, seemingly forever was taken before any sort of decisive action was reached (there are other ways to portray arduous decision making on film, opposed to Peter Jackson's method, dragging out the story).

Actually, the amount of material left out of TTT suggests to me that several crucial parts of the book will not make it into RoTK. The scouring of the shire for one, this imo being one of the most important parts of the story, showing how evil can exist in even the smallest of entities.

Faramir was also heavily short changed in this film (Faramir was one of Tolkien's most respected characters; for his nobility and courage ... everything that saw in Boromoir and not him). In this adaptation he appears as some sub-Boromir, simply letting Frodo go as he has a bit of a scare with the Nazgul! He should've been presented as the anti-Boromir, a wise strong warrior with an understanding of the corruption of the ring.

Other things I didn't like; I loved the Ents, yes, however Treebeard felt too focused, taking Merrry and Pippin to see Gandalf. What!? Sam and Frodo's story was well done, although I still don't think Sam was given justice. He's such a strong and important character, and I don't believe such a light was cast on him (perhaps the only indicator being the "Samwise the Brave" moment). Although I believe Frodo's "change," corruption by the ring, has been shown perfectly. The Legolas shield-slide just felt wrong, as did the fact that during the Rohirrim encounter he rode a horse with a saddle! Gandalf's exorcism (?) of Theoden didn't sit right with me, the fact that there was a bar room style brawl taking place in the background felt, wrong (I've been saying that a lot, lol). I also wish Arwen would stay on her spot, as in the books, instead of getting a role boost just because she's Liv Tyler.

Yes, Helm's Deep is indeed one of the best battle I've seen on film, comparable even to such classic works as Akira Kurosawa's Ran. TTT's appeal is more in the sense of a visual epic than a narrative one I believe ...

I wait patiently for the SEV, as although this film is fundamentally flawed, it is still part of a landmark cinematic project, and I did want to LOVE it, lol. It left an empty feeling with me at the end. Visually it is stunning, and performances by the actors great, however for me it just felt ... disjointed. Alot of the sequences, as individual set peices were stunning I admit, but it just didn't *feel* like it worked for me, as a picture overall. I've only seen it once, so my opinion my sway on repeat viewings.
Thanks for saving me having to type all that out using different words that meant the same thing.

I agree. I liked it. I might have even loved it. It just doesn't sit right with me. My major problem was that so little time was spent with Sam/Frodo/Gollum and the Ring while so much time was spent with Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas. The story is about the Ring and its destruction, and yet Aragorn is becomming the star. I too have only seen it once, and need to see it again.

I really did enjoy it. Just not.

Make sense?

It totally makes sense to me Bullet. I also had the argument about Farimir, he was much more honorable in the book. It's funny, in the movie when Frodo & Co. are at Gondor, Sam says, "We're not even supposed to be here". In the book, they never are, I just thought that was cute.

Oh, Jackson is still definitely master of his craft....but he seems to be forced into making some very tough choices about the inclusion and arrangement of all the source material. Understandably, his final cut is not going to work well for everyone.

It was worth seeing. Just not the masterpiece FOTR was.

This movie was one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. It was very enjoyable. My girlfriend, who knows nothing about any of the Lord of the Rings books and/or movies, enjoyed this movie. She does not like any movies like this at all, but ended up enjoying it although there were parts where she did not understand. She knew I really wanted to go, so we went and I just had this feeling she would hate it. She ended up enjoying it and saying it was one of the best movies she had ever seen. That's even against the likes of her previous favorites such as The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood or A Walk to Remember. I was deeply suprised.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I agree. I liked it. I might have even loved it. It just doesn't sit right with me. My major problem was that so little time was spent with Sam/Frodo/Gollum and the Ring while so much time was spent with Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas. The story is about the Ring and its destruction, and yet Aragorn is becomming the star. I too have only seen it once, and need to see it again.
The reason for the emphasis on the Aragorn side of the story is that there is very little for Frodo/Sam to do in the last 2 books. Therefore PJ moved and condensed a lot of their storyline, such as Shelob, from books 3 and 4 into the last film. Also a significant part of their appearances in these books are just travelling which would make for a very boring film!

If he had filmed them as they appear in the books Frodo and Sam would have hardly appeared in the Return Of The King until the end. As I said earlier they are meant to be 3 parts of one story so judge them when you can sit down and watch them all together.

Unfortunately for you as the third film is called The Return Of The KING I guess we may be seeing quite a lot of Aragorn in that one too!

...so judge them when you can sit down and watch them all together.
No. I think I'll be judging them now, thanks all the same. I still said I loved it. But I own't judge until all three are made? What the Hell? I can't love the film for another year people. Or something.

And in regards to Frodo and Sam having little to do in the second and third books, that is simply rubbish. Much of the Faramir story was simply forgotten about so more time could be spent with Aragorn and the others. And in the third book there is a lot that takes place on the borders of Morder with Frodo/Sam/Gollum and a whole cave of orcs. It is when Sam really shines. If any less than an hour and a half is spent with Frodo and Sam in Return of the King I think it will be a major let down for Tolkien fans.

Not to say that the movies aren't brilliant pieces of cinema.