Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

Trump is definitely the "elephant in the room" topic when chatting with people. My cousin on my moms side is a republican state representative in Kentucky, and I just got off the phone with him. After talking about my Mom for awhile I mentioned how I was a Sanders supporter. He was smooth getting off the topic of politics. Thats ok, my cousins a great guy, and is as decent a person Ive ever known.

Speaking with the funeral home director today he at first came off like a used car salesman, but ended up being a cool guy. He and I started chewing-it talking about politics, he is a Trump supporter, and he agreed with my reasons for supporting Sanders. It was a look on his face like "at least its not Hillary".

My stepmom last night is so rabid against Obama, and gets in an outright bullhorn pitched lather. She actually called Obama "Sambo", I havent even heard that expression in 20 years My Dad made a quick point to change the conversation topic. Theres gonna be some north vs south-like bad blood for a spell till this all hopefully blows over.

Its gonna be an interesting 4 years.

Its gonna be an interesting 4 years.
Well, it's nice to see you're developing a more positive outlook about it.

It was a look on his face like "at least its not Hillary".
The funny part is Trump actually does all the crap they accuse Hillary of doing--and a whole lot more! This article points out a few things, all of which have pretty much been pointed out here:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/nationa...4c6140574.html

As for the whole family and politics thing, I have two brothers, one on the left (although he did not support Bernie) and the other far right, who supports Trump. Facebook is fun, oh boy. Those two decided to unfriend each other, I guess to not get on each other's nerves. Meanwhile besides occasionally liking someone's anti-Trump link, I don't post politics on FB. I really don't get using it as your soundboard for every obnoxious political thought or tirade that comes to you.

This is a great idea. NASA doesn't do anything interesting anymore. Someone like Darth Vader will really help us progress in venturing out into outer space.

Afterf the years of demands and false accusations against President Obama, and then not even owing up to his own actions afterward, after Obama has tried to make this transition smooth anyway, The Donald whines to his Trumpets on Twitter. Would that make them then "Trump-Twits"?

Trump accuses Obama of ‘roadblocks’ during transition

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...nsition-233000

A couple problems...
1. Darth Vader is a fictional character.
2. Even as a fictional character, Darth Vader is dead - he died a long time ago, a long long time ago in a galaxy far away.
3. Just before he died he found redemption. so if he was somehow resurrected and displaced through time and space, he'd only bring the goodness he finally found to whatever endeavor he undertook.

I was inspired by the Trump/Darth Vader pic to look for a funny comparison pic of Trump/Mussolini. What I found was a bone chillingly serious news article from The Atlantic. Ironically I've been saying the same thing about Trump being a modern day Mussolini.

Mussolini was a populist, anti establishment non-politician who gained popularity for many the same reasons why Trump won the election. Mussolini had the three deadly personality traits: Ignorance, vanity and a lack of empathy. Those three qualities also define who Trump is.

The short but interesting news article:
An American Authoritarian

I was inspired by the Trump/Darth Vader pic to look for a funny comparison pic of Trump/Mussolini. What I found was a bone chillingly serious news article from The Atlantic. Ironically I've been saying the same thing about Trump being a modern day Mussolini.

Mussolini was a populist, anti establishment non-politician who gained popularity for many the same reasons why Trump won the election. Mussolini had the three deadly personality traits: Ignorance, vanity and a lack of empathy. Those three qualities also define who Trump is.

The short but interesting news article:
An American Authoritarian
Funny how many of us see this so clearly while so many others choose to be willfully blind. I grew up naively thinking the mistakes other countries have made could never happen here, but here we are one catastrophic event away from ruining the very foundations of what is supposed to make America great in the first place. Suppose a 9/11 type event were to happen now and what it would mean on a broader level given all the possible responses Trump could choose and the advice he would receive from the whackjobs he's currently surrounding himself with.

Trump is 70 years old and is not at all an ideologue. There's no way he's going to be the new Mussolini.
Dangerous dictators are always much younger when they start out and actually have very firm ideas about what they want to do with their power.

Trump is 70 years old and is not at all an ideologue. There's no way he's going to be the new Mussolini.
Dangerous dictators are always much younger when they start out and actually have very firm ideas about what they want to do with their power.
No one including me thinks Trump will become Mussolini the dictator, and the article CR posted is not predicting this will happen either. It is however a comparison of Trump the candidate with Mussolini the candidate, and given how Mussolini turned out, we cannot ignore what is blatantly obvious, that Trump has all the same characteristics. We should not be putting into office someone with those characteristics. By doing so we are flirting with disaster.

I don't agree that dictators are necessarily ideologues or that they have firm ideas of what they want to do with their power, other than possess it. But whatever.

To be honest, I think the similarities between Trump the candidate and Mussolini "the candidate" (if you could call it that) are pretty mild, if not practically non-existent, when it comes to the really important stuff. You should read up on who Mussolini truly was and how he truly came to power, because I'd even go as far as calling it a ridiculous comparison. Trump most certainly does not have "all the same characteristics".

I think Berlusconi is a much more appropriate comparison. He's an extremely rich corrupt egomaniac who's a little crazy and who's able to connect with people because he has a charismatic personality and a populist style, but ultimately all he wants is the power itself for a little while and perhaps to use it to his own (financial) advantage and possibly that of some of his "friends" too.

Trump doesn't show any sign of wanting to use power to destroy democracy, though. Implying nonsense like that only helps him, in my opinion.

To be honest, I think the similarities between Trump the candidate and Mussolini "the candidate" (if you could call it that) are pretty mild, if not practically non-existent, when it comes to the really important stuff. You should read up on who Mussolini truly was and how he truly came to power, because I'd even go as far as calling it a ridiculous comparison. Trump most certainly does not have "all the same characteristics".
I was referencing the article CR posted. Maybe you find the writer's portrayal of Mussolini incorrect, but I do know his portrayal of Trump is spot on.

I think Berlusconi is a much more appropriate comparison. He's an extremely rich corrupt egomaniac who's a little crazy and who's able to connect with people because he has a charismatic personality and a populist style, but ultimately all he wants is the power itself for a little while and perhaps to use it to his own (financial) advantage and possibly that of some of his "friends" too.
Yes, that sounds like Trump. If this article is correct, then the similarities are uncanny.

Trump doesn't show any sign of wanting to use power to destroy democracy, though. Implying nonsense like that only helps him, in my opinion.
Most of us reasonable people don't think Trump is out to destroy democracy. However, now that he's entered the realm of politics there are a lot of small indications he only cares about democracy insomuch as it benefits him or is irrelevant to him. I find it disconcerting how sensitive he is about the election results, whether it was losing the popular vote or the Obama's recent comment. He has said he wants to toughen the libel laws on the media. I know he can't do that, but that's why my original post wondered what he might do given if we found ourselves in extreme circumstances.

You can accuse me implying nonsense, but I was only trying to say we can't all be like, "Oh, that's too outrageous, he wouldn't do that," because he's already shown us he can be pretty outrageous. He's not like any other U.S. president I know of. He needs to be monitored. We need to keep our eyes open. And I can no longer pretend this country wouldn't be fooled by the tricks of a demagogue.

how much will trump be able to undo the damage done to israel by obama by making the US abstain from UN's anti israel resolution ? can anybody tell ?

IMO, Obama did the right thing and showed real courage by abstaining to vote on the UN Israel settlement measure.

... the United States on Friday abstained on a controversial United Nations Security Council resolution demanding an end to Israeli settlements on Palestinian territory, allowing it to pass easily.
By abstaining — instead of vetoing the resolution, as the United States has reliably done to similar measures for decades — the Obama administration allowed the highly symbolic measure to make it through the chamber.

It was the first time in nearly 40 years that the Security Council has passed a resolution critical of Israeli settlements. It was also a firm rebuke of both Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who had strongly argued against it, and President-elect Donald Trump, who had taken the highly unprecedented move of weighing in Thursday and pressing for the measure to be vetoed.

The measure demands that Israel “immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem,” and declares that the establishment of settlements by Israel has “no legal validity and constitutes a flagrant violation under international law.”

This is far stronger language than the United States has ever officially used to describe Israeli settlement activity before.

Although the standard US position has for three decades been that such settlements, which are built on land intended to be part of a future Palestinian state, are “obstacles to peace,” the United States has always stopped short of describing them as “illegal” under international law.
Israel's refusal to give up the occupied territories has been the catalyst for middle eastern instability and violence. Hate begets hate.

I don't know but i found that very unnerving personally, don't want to get into Israel/Palestine stuff but it was the timing of that which made it feel very dark and petty. Obama has had 8 years to make a big stand on Israel and making it now in the transition to a new administration (regardless of how awful they are) wasn't right in my opinion; i might be completely misunderstanding what happened though if it had nothing to do with Obama or his Administration please correct me.

Citizen, i agree with you but why now at the end of his 8 years and do you think he would've done the same if he was transitioning over to a Democrat?
That is a good question! I wish I knew?

@the thread in general: I do fully support Israel's right to exist and I do want the U.S. to have a close relationship with them. I think the occupied territories stir up too many problems for Israel and the west.