Best Stanley Kubrick Film

Tools    

the shining is tied with my scariest film of all time (blair witch project)

but i liked lolita a lot, creepy but compelling.

Definitely one of my favorite directors of all time.
Here are my top 5 faves of his works:

5. Dr. Strangelove
Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.
And lemme tell you guys something;
I loves me some bomb.

4. Full Metal Jacket
"How tall are you private?"
"Sir, five foot nine, sir!"
"Five foot nine? I didn't know they stacked sh#t that high! You tryin' to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere, huh?"
" Sir, no sir!"
"Bullsh#t! It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your momma's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress! I think you been cheated! Where in the hell are you from anyway, private?"
"Sir, Texas, sir!"
"Holy dog sh#t! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"Are you a peter puffer?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"I'll bet you're the kinda guy that would f#ck a person in the ass and not even have the godd@mn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you."

3. The Shining
Take a Kubrick film & ground it with a Stephen King story & a role taylor made for Jack Nicholson & what you have is one of my top favorite horror movies ever. And with very little slashing, gore, or shock that most films of this genre (especially today) tend to rely on in order to frighten their audiences. The horror stems more from Jack's delivery & facial expressions as his character gradually slips into the madness of the haunted hotel's dark intentions.
The line "Here's Johnny!" wouldn't be a very scary one at all if it weren't for Jack's maniacal mug peering thru the door's cracked orifice, freshly smashed thru by the axe-wielding author suffering from writer's block, a possesed spirit & with "redrum" on his mind.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
I remember watching this film as a kid, and for me, it was the very 1st. incredibly realistic portrayal of a sci-fi story I had seen up to that time. Great visuals back when this stuff was incredible difficult to create (without the help of computers) and a suspense thriller plotline that is masterfully & almost quietly delivered.
Plus, if you're not on drugs whilst viewing this film, by the time you get to the ending, you will you feel as though you are.

1. A Clockwork Orange
For me, this movie exemplifies everything that I like about all things Kubrick. IMO, he tends to make movies that are an inch away from being abstract beyond understanding, but yet keeps the flow of the film reeled in just enough to make it seem like it makes sense on some kind of creative level. And while I don't mind discussing what the underlying meaning(s) of ACO might be, I find that too much discussion on it tends to get in the way of the enjoyment that I get from noticing things like how colorfully crafted the art-direction is for a movie that doesn't bat a single lashed eye towards subjects like ultra-violence & the old in-&-out.
Visually, a beautifully crafted film with such a bite in it's theme that it acts as a well-balanced counterweight against the brightly set designs. Seldom do we see the contrast of light & darkness stitched on film in a manner that is instinctual, crazy & perfect all at the same time.

2001 will always be my favorite, with Dr.Strangelove at a close second....

Though, Full Metal Jacket and The Shining are not far off. Love those films, as well. Most likely my favorite director, so naturally all of his works are close to my heart.

The line "Here's Johnny!" wouldn't be a very scary one at all if it weren't for Jack's maniacal mug peering thru the door's cracked orifice, freshly smashed thru by the axe-wielding author suffering from writer's block, a possesed spirit & with "redrum" on his mind.
That wasn't even in the script was it? I'm sure I watched something where he just came out with that line at the time when filming.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The line "Here's Johnny!" isn't scary at all. It's funny. Sure, Jack ad-libbed it, with Ed McMahon's aid.

2001: A Space Odyssey is incredible especially when you consider when it was made, Dr. Strangelove is a superb satire also so I'd rate that as my second favourite as his although I am yet to see a few of them.

Haven't seen all of his films, but from the ones that I have seen, A Clockwork Orange is definitely at the top of my list. Had never heard of it until about 4 years ago, and watched it for the first time, and I remember watching it twice back to back. Still watch it pretty often these days too. Definitely one of my most-watched movies of my collection.

I really dont rate him ( above others like everyone does)
The shining is a good Stephen King Movie, but i think salems lot is better.
Eyes wide shut is probably my favourite STANLEY KUBRICK movie
I LIKE hOW I LEARNED TO LOVE NAZIS.
Terence Malek's recent film TREE OF LIFE is the kind of thing you would expect Stanley Kubrick to have made (but he didn't, WITH ALL THE FUSS ABOUT HIM.
I think the religious devotion is based upon celebrity fascination with him as a person, rather than the content of his movies.

The line "Here's Johnny!" isn't scary at all. It's funny. Sure, Jack ad-libbed it, with Ed McMahon's aid.
Yeh i agree about here's Johnny. The scariest scene is with the boy in the bedroom, where he is holding him.

Yeh i agree about here's Johnny. The scariest scene is with the boy in the bedroom, where he is holding him.

"I wish we could stay here... for ever... and ever... and ever..."

Agreed... top scene.

The only Stanley Kubrick film i've seen is The Shining, so i'll have to go with it. But I have heard plenty of good things about 2001: A Space Odyssey.
I never got through it , ever, too boring.
The Tree of Life's space parts look better, dont know about the whole movie though, i havent sat through that, but the photography looks good, far superior to 2001.
And planet of the apes has better monkeys.

Ranking Kubrick:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The Shining
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. Dr. Strangelove
6. Barry Lyndon

The first four are masterpieces, the last two I was underwhelmed by. I should be watching Eyes Wide Shut, Spartacus, and Lolita very soon.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Check out Paths Of Glory. That's probably top 5 Kubrick, for me.