The Woman In Black

→ in
Tools    

Surprised there isn't anything started for this yet, has no one went out and saw it?

CAUTION! POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Initially I was a little disappointed with the acting of our former mr. potter, but he picked up as the movies went on. This is an old fashion haunted house story, with a lot of scare points. There are a few startling moments, but mostly the goal was to scare you to the bone. What makes this movie creepy is the way the woman in black goes about taking her victims. I went with a friend who is a HUGE fan of Harry Potter, but not at all of horror movies. We didn't read any reviews on the movie, and simply did not expect this level of horror movie from Daniel Radcliffe, she watched most of the movie through her fingers. I personally love horror movies, so I found it to be a good watch. If you're in the mood for a horror film this is one of the best I've seen in a while, lately they're just trying to startle you, but that don't last. It's easy to do the "Drag Me to Hell" style and say "boo" and get a startle, but very few movies come out like "The Woman in Black", that actually want to scare you. I don't want to ruin the movie for some, so I won't go into it, but the ending is a little surprising. :P

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I have been wanting to see this since I saw the trailer, I was just wanting to see how Radcliffe would be outside of Hogwarts.
I need to see it for myself to judge it on my own terms but you have definitely made me really want to see it now, if it can scare me then it definitely gets a .

It's certainly better than the american horror the theaters have held for years, and that's enough reason to check it out in my opinion. Radcliffe can't really show off his skills outside three scenes I recall because it's mostly him being foreboding, but he's quite good at that.

Thanks MSHax, I will watch it this weekend.

I liked it. I'm surprised it's a 12A here in the UK (which means you can take under 12s provided they're accompanied by an adult) as I don't think people should take young kids to it specially as all the horror is directed towards children. Apparently the censor has shortened/removed some of the sequences in order for it to be classified as a 12A simply because Daniel Radcliffe will want to be seen by Harry Potter fans.

The film is suitably creepy and has several pleasing jump out of the seat scenes. The sets are wonderful, specially the horribly grotesque toys. I do have an issue with Daniel Radcliffe tho, he really isn't old enough for the part in spite of them trying their hardest to stubble him up. I swear there's some weird cgi going on when there's a closeup of his face. I've never seen any of the Harry Potter films but the guy in this film has an almost expressionless face, very strange.

Anyway we enjoyed it but I can't help feeling it would've been more of a film if someone else played the lead.

Awful, just awful. Three thumbs down, even though I only have two.

Ashdoc's review---

In the 19th century came the novel ''The woman in white '' and in the twenty first century comes the movie '' The woman in black '' , and predictibly its a horror movie---horror movies being the favoured flavour of the 21st century as much as suspense novels were of the 19th......

But as if in tribute to '' The woman in white '' , there is a considerable amount of suspense mixed with the horror too......

And to lift the lid off the suspense comes the hero---Daniel Radcliffe---from London to a small English village , as a representative of a law firm sent to handle the sale of a remote house situated in a marsh .

His sheer presence in the village is unwelcome to the villagers , as he discovers.....and his trip to the remote house is even more unwelcome.....

.......For the house has been struck by tragedy , as he learns , and anyone who goes into the house is liable to encounter a mysterious woman in black there , who brings revenge-laced tragedy in the village anytime anyone sees her.......

Dismissing this stuff as superstition , he goes to the house alone---only to be confronted by the sight of that very woman , and also a series of mysterious happenings......

Now I myself dont believe in ghosts , but I wouldn't dare go to such a remote house alone , and certainly woudn't dare to stay a full night alone there---especially after encountering such dreadful happenings......

But nothing's gonna stop our intrepid hero---after he hears every mysterious sound , he actually follows it ; after he sees a terrifying sight or sees a shadow , he lights a candle and goes after it.......
What would have left us breaking out in cold sweat actually rouses the curiosity of this young man as he searches the whole house going deeper and deeper into the mystery......

.......And as strange happenings and piercing sounds emanate in the ghost ridden house , we are left squirming in our seats cursing the hero for having the chutzpah to wander in such a terror inspiring place and increasing our blood pressure , when if confronted with such a situation we would have taken to our heels at the first opportunity.......

But our hero's daring does pay off---though at terrifying cost as his sighting of the woman in black sets off more tragedies in the village . But he thinks he discovers a way of ending these tragedies as he gets what the woman in black wants for herself......

So does the hero succeed in his self-appointed mission to save the village ?? Go and watch the movie for that---it does give you some real jitters along the way......

But the ending is a tragic and a disappointing one---one is left wondering why the woman in black was not less rentless in her pursuit or revenge than she was , and why she was so cruel.....
Why didnt she have some more womanly qualities ??---That of mercy , that of forgiveness......
Or maybe that was the mistake of the film's director.....

Verdict---inspite of the flaws , its still a good one.....

Finished here. It's been fun.
This film was very creepy honestly. I give it a 7/10. I think it's certainly an above average horror flick with solid production values and decent script.