Fifty Shades of Grey

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
If I were in your position I'd wish for a social life outside this forum first - if "rep" on a fairly small forum is that significant to you that's the type of mental image it conveys about your real life relevance. The last thing I thought about when earning my belts in Tae Kwon Do was my "reps on a site called movieforums.com", but that's just me. Some people have different 'priorities' apparently.

That and a juvenile tendency of attacking the messenger rather than the argument also indicates what I was referencing.
You keep pulling this "we haven't got any friends" crap. Weren't you the one who made the thread asking for help in that department?

Oh no, son, no. We can still read all those posts
Because I care about - why?

The above post stands - even before I saw the movie I was aware of studies showing no credible link between violence in cinema and violence in real life; that's why I used films I had seen (like Saw) which I knew by default had more violence and graphic content as the reference point.

And unlike my opponents here I did watch the movie - but the idea that I'd have to watch 'every movie every made' just to debate a claim about movies causing violence is false. I did anyway.

so if that's your position you better go delete them reall quick like.
Yeah right.

But ya can't delete mine.
That's a terrible red herring attempt.

You keep pulling this "we haven't got any friends" crap.
Who's "we"?

I was speaking for posters who think that "rep" on an internet forum is such an important facet. If you don't fit the bill it doesn't apply to you. Some dude made a post above asking Yoda to restore "negative rep" because he didn't like my position here - apparently he was under the presumption that the average joe cares about "rep" as much as he does, lol

Weren't you the one who made the thread asking for help in that department?
No I was asking for advice on making new friends when moving to a new city, outside of a bar or martial arts school setting - but that's another red herring.

You don't know what red herring means. You really don't.
It'd an attempt to derail the discussion, such as derailing it from the movie to other tangents.

Which you've been doing here - you never addressed my posts about actual statistics not backing up that violent films cause real life violence, or my actual critique of the film's content (while admitting you didn't watch it) - no you want to talk about how I "originally" didn't watch the movie, another thread I made about making friends in a new city, "neg reps", etc etc

You're way more transparent on that that you realize.

So where's your proof that violence or violent characters in movies leads to real-life violence on any scale?

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've read the book. No, you're using red herring wrong. I'm not attempting to divert. It had already been diverted, silly. I was responding to what you said.

I didn't respond to your post because it has nothing to do with my position, which I've stated.

Right now we are just putting on a show. I'll play like this for awhile.

90sAce, you are so not '90s!

Nice selfie

The people who feel so strongly about the film that they refuse to watch it (yet sill seem to "know" so much about it) are definitely a minority I'd say, going by the box office. The movie's outgrossed films like Lego Movie, American Sniper, etc in just 1 week.

I didn't even think the film was very good critically - but the individuals outright refusing to watch it out of 'principle' (while at the same time generating free publicity for it with their soapboxes online) are a minority as far as cinemagoers go. A large one.
Did you ever think that people refusing to watch it out of principle are actually not watching it because it's a pile of shite? You really don't need to be a genius to suss out a terrible film or a bad book. You say yourself that the film's not good then you moan that other people refused to watch it? Why would people waste their time and money? It's a badly written book that's become a literary phenomenon because there are a lot of people who read rubbish - simple as that. I've read a few chapters and it's bloody awful. Why are you defending something you don't even like yourself?

Did you ever think that people refusing to watch it out of principle are actually not watching it because it's a pile of shite?
I already reviewed the movie in the "Rate the Last Movie You Saw Thread" - I thought it wasn't a great movie - most of the outspoken critics on MovieForums.com aren't critiquing the movie itself (in fact I'm the only one I've seen who actually reviewed the movie)- they're objecting to it's politically incorrect/religiously incorrect content.

You really don't need to be a genius to suss out a terrible film or a bad book. You say yourself that the film's not good then you moan that other people refused to watch it? Why would people waste their time and money? It's a badly written book that's become a literary phenomenon because there are a lot of people who read rubbish - simple as that. I've read a few chapters and it's bloody awful. Why are you defending something you don't even like yourself?
Not sure - maybe the same reason some people objected to theaters pulling "The Interview" despite not liking Seth Rogan or James Franco? Or the reason people who aren't fans of South Park still objected to Viacom pulling the "Muhammed episodes" (while allowing the "Jesus, Joseph Smith, Scientology, etc" episodes to remain on the air)?

So every time I see a piece of poop I should put it in my mouth just to make sure it tastes like poop. Noted. I can't imagine what your breath is like in the morning
You weren't critically dismissing the movie - you were dismissing simply for not meeting the politically correct litmus test. Similar to how some religious extremists dismissed V for Vendetta as a "bad movie" simply for having "left-wing" content (while likely using the same excuse as you are that you "don't have to watch it to know it").

You're probably one of those people who believed the "controversy" about the Mass Effect video game, and thought that watching a 5 minute Fox News skit was all you needed to know about it too, aren't you?

Given the media's tendency to manufacture outrage and controversy for ratings - you'd be less naive to hand your bank account number over to a "Nigerian Prince" through email than believe something you read on some PC tabloid

.3. What is disprupting is someone who continuously goes in whatever thread he thinks he can make the most fuss in and disruptes everything so it's just all about him and how horribly he argues. I can't for the life of me understand why one would want that.
That's what the purpose of internet forums like iMDB is - to argue and rant about things that interest people which wouldn't make good conversation if they were brought up with a group of buddies at the bar in real life - if someone just wants to hold hands and sing kumbayah then they should stick to Facebook; if you think that a forum should frown upon arguing - well that's another example of you being in the minority but thinking you represent the majority - arguing and debating's an accepted part of forums, and the reason that the majority of people go to forums about subjects like movies, politics, etc (instead of chit chating and posting pictures of cats on Facebook). Basically you want to post a controversial opinion about a movie, and "not have" anyone argue it beyond just a 'chit chat' level - well then FB is calling you.

First, enough with the "you sound like one of those people who..." or "I'll bet you're one of those people who..." nonsense. That wouldn't be a valid argument for anything even if you were usually right, and so far you've nearly always been wrong. If you're actually here to debate, then argue with what people say, and not with whatever free associative phantom your brain spits out.

Second, stop pretending that the alternative to your incendiary, obtuse method of argumentation is some kumbayah wussfest. Trying to pretend you're being told to stop arguing--as opposed to just learning how grown-ups talk to each other when they disagree--is a transparent defensive mechanism.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Interestingly, Film 2015 completely ignored this movie and instead reviewed another BDSM themed movie, The Duke of Burgundy. Which looks a lot more interesting.

First, enough with the "you sound like one of those people who..." or "I'll bet you're one of those people who..." nonsense. That wouldn't be a valid argument for anything even if you were usually right, and so far you've nearly always been wrong. If you're actually here to debate, then argue with what people say, and not with whatever free associative phantom your brain spits out.
Saying "I'm wrong" doesn't have a lot of validity - you didn't contribute to the discussion; of the people arguing here they were the ones making the 'positive assertion' about the movie 'being bad', 'leading to violence', etc - so the burden's on them to prove themselves right - I was offering challenges.

Second, stop pretending that the alternative to your incendiary, obtuse method of argumentation is some kumbayah wussfest. Trying to pretend you're being told to stop arguing--as opposed to just learning how grown-ups talk to each other when they disagree--is a transparent defensive mechanism.
Nothing about my arguing style remotely outlandish as far as internet forum's go - on IMDB most of the debates are a lot rowdier than anything I've come close to (which is why I don't post there anymore - I'm not interested in debates that boil down to "you're an idiot!" "go suck suck c-k!", etc) which is what site like that end up as a lot of the time.

You can find flaws in my arguments it if you like, but the trend on this site is heavily 'against arguing as a whole' whether you realize it or not (contrary to most internet forums about critical subject matter, like IMDB) - before I started arguing in this thread most of the people posting were agreeing with each other- not to mention a few guys who weren't even invovled in the discussion showed up in this thread only to leave snarky comments, just because they "didn't like that I was arguing/disagreeing... period" - you didn't address that at all. Just look at how many more posts there are on this site in "games" threads like "Speak to me with a GIF" - than their are actual debates about movies - that's pretty telling.

Saying "I'm wrong" doesn't have a lot of validity - you didn't contribute to the discussion; of the people arguing here they were the ones making the 'positive assertion' about the movie 'being bad', 'leading to violence', etc - so the burden's on them to prove themselves right - I was offering challenges.
No you weren't. You were offering challenges and irrelevant speculation at people's personal lives.

Nothing about my arguing style remotely outlandish as far as internet forum's go
Exactly. The problem, then, is that you think this is a good standard to judge your behavior against.

I'm not interested in debates that boil down to "you're an idiot!" "go suck suck c-k!", etc).
You say this, yet there are dozens of examples of you doing exactly this sort of thing. Shall I list them, or do you want to rationalize this away by saying "they started it"?

You can find flaws in my arguments it if you like, but the trend on this site is heavily 'against arguing as a whole' whether you realize it or not
No it isn't. It's against the have-an-opinion-about-everything, never-admit-fault crap that passes for "arguing" on certain parts of the Internet.

Stop using 4chan as your baseline for what constitutes an open exchange of ideas, and the things people are saying to you here will start to make a lot more sense.

No you weren't. You were offering challenges and irrelevant speculation at people's personal lives.
Which people? The ones actually discussing the film, or the ones showing up with no interest in the film at all just to leave snarky comments (because they "don't like arguing" to occur on this site) and being met with it in return?

Exactly. The problem, then, is that you think this is a good standard to judge your behavior against.

You say this, yet there are dozens of examples of you doing exactly this sort of thing. Shall I list them, or do you want to rationalize this away by saying "they started it"?

No it isn't. It's against the have-an-opinion-about-everything, never-admit-fault crap that passes for "arguing" on certain parts of the Internet.
Your standard of 'good debate' of is higher than mine then, and most debate oriented forums on the internet; nevertheless is the fact that you're more concerned about parts of my argument which were "bad" than you are the posters here who had no interest in the film or thread topic, and showed up just to vent their disdain for the 'arguing' in a snarky manor.

Stop using 4chan as your baseline for what constitutes an open exchange of ideas, and the things people are saying to you here will start to make a lot more sense.
4chan's a strawman. This website is too much on the opposite end on the spectrum; to the point that it's more like Facebook than an actual forum. My comments toward the actual debaters here were completely civil. The others not so much, and I don't care - no one's forcing them to view a thread about a movie they're uninterested in if they "don't like arguing".

BTW, HK was right, the film has plummeted over 70% from it's original weekend. People are no longer curious about the flick.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4029&p=.htm
It already out-grossed films like "Lego Movie" and "American Sniper" in just 1 week - in part strongly due to the manufactured and cries for censorship. A 70% loss on a $400,000,000 gross in just a week isn't much to worry about.

Even the attempt by trolls on IMDB to downvote it to a "1 star" rating en masse failed.

I was pointing out the fact that HK called it. Has nothing to do with your argument with everyone else.
You're right that there was little else to be curious about other than about 5 minutes worth of 'controversial' scenes - if it had aired with that tiny segment cut, this movie wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

On one hand I do think it's dumb that morbid curiosity is such a prime motivator for film-goers, but at the same time I'm glad it was a blockbuster just for the sake of dealing a blow to the censorship and PC side of the spectrum.