Mojo Filter's Top 50 Bands

Tools    

Before I begin posting my Top 20, I'd like to note that you might find some surprises as to bands, that are considered some of the greatest by so many people and critics, that did not make the list. Their exclusion doesn't necessarily mean I dislike them, it just means I liked 50 other bands more

If I were to compile a Top 100, those bands, that you are likely going to wonder, or probably be shocked, why they are not mentioned anywhere in my list, will definitely be included.

Anyways, the last stretch of my Top 50 countdown, beginning at number 20, will start shortly...stay tuned!

I hope you enjoy them and approve to their greatness

20. RADIOHEAD

Ever since they emerged onto the mainstream music scene in the mid 90's, British band Radiohead has managed to do what other bands of their generation and country have not, and that is successfully cross over from the Grunge-inspired rock sound to a more experimental, electronic, and psychedelic sound, and all the while maintaining their haunting elusiveness.

My favorite songs:
Creep
High And Dry
Just
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
Karma Police
Everything In It's Right Place
Optimistic
In Limbo
You And Whose Army

Fake Plastic Trees

My favorite album:
The Bends

19. SIMON AND GARFUNKEL
I credit my late father for my love of legendary folk rock duo Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel's beautifully poetic music. These guys led the social revolution of the 60's alongside The Beatles and Bob Dylan.

My favorite songs:
America
Homeward Bound
El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
I Am A Rock
A Hazy Shade Of Winter
Mrs. Robinson
Scarborough Fair
The Boxer

The Sound Of Silence

My favorite album:
The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I own a few Radiohead cds and a lot of Simon & Garfunkel records, but I've never been really into either. Both have songs that I really like, though.

I'm pretty lost when it comes to the last 20 years, so I only know Creep from Radiohead, which is great. Thumbs up for Tears for Fears and Simon and Garfunkel, although I'm not huge on either.

18. GREEN DAY
In the mid 90's, punk rock witnessed a resurgence thanks to vocalist and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt, and drummer Tre Cool as the California trio Green Day. The band managed to keep making popular hit singles well into the late 90's before reviving the rock opera concept album, reminiscent of The Who's Tommy and Pink Floyd's The Wall, in the mid to late 2000's and cementing themselves as legends.

My favorite songs:
Basket Case
When I Come Around
She
Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)
Hitchin' A Ride
Warning
Blood, Sex and Booze
Macy's Day Parade
Jesus Of Suburbia
Are We The Waiting
Holiday
Viva La Gloria
Restless Heart Syndrome

American Idiot

My favorite album:
American Idiot

Great list so far.

Zeppelin,Metallica,The Who,Creedance and QUEEN should be much higher IMHO.
Thanks!

The way I compiled my list was by how often I listen to the band, how many albums of theirs I own, among other things. Mind you, I listen to lots of music by many many artists. If any band makes my Top 50, that is quite a big deal.

17. THE EAGLES
American rock band The Eagles were by far the most accomplished band in the 70's. To many people, they are the greatest band in history, citing their first Greatest Hits album in 1976 for being the best-selling album of all time in the US, going toe to toe with Michael Jackson's Thriller, as proof to the statement. There's also no denying that what Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Randy Meisner, and Timothy Schmidt achieved together resulted in some of the most powerful songs ever.

My favorite songs:
Hotel California
Take It Easy
Lyin' Eyes
One Of These Nights
Desperado
Get Over It
Love Will Keep Us Alive

Take It To The Limit

My favorite album:
Hell Freezes Over

I had Hell Freezes Over on repeat for about a year. Good band, great album.

Some of the songs sounded so much better on Hell Freezes Over than the original recordings, like Hotel California for example.

16. TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS
Tom Petty, who in my opinion is one of the greatest American rock musicians that ever lived, and his Heartbreakers did everything but break hearts since the 70’s with their hard rocking tunes and swagger. There are just too many great songs by Tom and his crew to choose favorites from, and that's not counting the stuff Tom did on his own.

My favorite songs:
You Got Lucky
I Need To Know
The Waiting
Don't Come Around Here No More
I Won't Back Down
Learning To Fly
Into The Great Wide Open
Mary Jane's Last Dance

Refugee

My favorite album:
Greatest Hits

15. FLEETWOOD MAC
Fleetwood Mac is another great American band that I credit my parents for growing up listening to and, eventually, loving. Together Mick Fleetwood, Lindsay Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, John McVie, and Christine McVie created some of the most amazing songs in music history.

My favorite songs:
The Chain
Love Shines
Landslide
Rhiannon
Gypsy
Dreams
Love In Store
Oh Diane
Everywhere

Go Your Own Way

My favorite album:
25 Years - The Chain

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Fleetwood Mac would be in my top ten. Rumours and Tusk are two of my favourite albums of all time, and like The Eagles, they're mainstays of my driving playlist.

Fleetwood Mac would be in my top ten. Rumours and Tusk are two of my favourite albums of all time, and like The Eagles, they're mainstays of my driving playlist.
We used to own Mirage on vinyl as a young boy. Of course, it belonged to my parents, and it was my first exposure to Fleetwood Mac.

14. THE POLICE
From the late 70's to the mid 80's, The Police took the world by storm with one classic hit after another, disbanding at the height of their success in 1986. Since then, the band's lead singer and bassist Sting has become an international superstar solo artist, while drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers have become movie score composers. Even though the band only lasted about 7 years, the English trio left behind a legacy that many other bands could only envy.

My favorite songs:
Roxanne
Can't Stand Losing You
Message In A Bottle
Walking On The Moon
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Every Breath You Take
King Of Pain
Don't Stand So Close To Me '86

Wrapped Around Your Finger

My favorite album:
Synchronicity