The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
See my above response to ScarletLion.
Can confirm!

With the caveat that I *also* said I didn't see much noir in All the King's Men, here are some excerpts from critics and cinephiles about its noir leanings:

B Noir Detour said:

"The underside of politics, including lying, cheating, and crime — plus a bleak ending in which no one comes out whole: there are certainly claims to noirishness in this story based on the rise and fall of Louisiana politician Huey Long." (full review here)
Paul Batters of Silver Screen Classics said:

"Production-wise, Rossen crafts a film with a starkness, obviously inspired by the Italian Realists. The documentary-style shooting, however, is also crossed with elements of noir, as much in rich tones as cinematic technique." (full review here)
Andreas Babiolakis of Films Fatale said:

"[Robert Rossen] channeled the noir genre by turning the lead character Willie Stark into a different kind of an archetypal “detective”: a community man trying to do what’s best for his people, only to get more monstrous the deeper he gets into politics." (full review here)

It seems to me that this is one of those cases that's more to one of the ends of the noir spectrum rather than the center; a borderline case, so to speak.

0/12 so far!!! Yikes!

I have some noir watching to do!
Forget it, Seds. It's noir.

One of mine has shown up as I had Brighton Rock at #11. Pinky is just evil. A plain nasty, sick sociopath with feelings which never go beyond his needs. It's a hard film to like (and I can't say that I do really) but that ending is just...everything.

1 for 2 on the latest ones. I also would never have thought All the King's Men was noir. But I certainly enjoyed it. I even tried watching the 2006 remake but just couldn't get into it. Haven't seen Born to Kill. It's weird because the ones I haven't seen sound like something I could have watched. Should have watched.

5 for 18.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I had All the King's Men at #3. I see how it's not a typical noir, and that did make me hesitate when placing it, but there are noirish elements there and it's just a really good film.

I am familiar with Born to Kill because of Laurence Tierney. But I can't remember whether I saw the whole thing or just a couple scenes.

Now All the King's Men is a great movie about how power corrupts. This is definitely a must see. But I never thought of it as noir.

All the KIng's Men is noir eh. The more you know! It's a decent film. Haven't seen Born to Kill though. Looks good.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Born to Kill is as nasty a noir as there is!.. The lovely Claire Trevor gets her hands chock full with sociopathic Lawrence Tierney as her boyfriend in this murderous double-dealing tale. Tierney plays such a good psycho because he wasn't all that far from it in real life-- a genuine hotheaded badass. Interesting trivia: Tierney and Elisha Cook, Jr. were close friends in real life.

I don't see All the King's Men as a noir at all, but so be it. It's a good picture with good acting by Broderick Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge. But since the story is based upon Louisiana's Huey P. Long ("The Kingfish"), it's always bugged me that they used an actor like Crawford, who's accent was right off the Philadelphia streets. The Kingfish was from central Louisiana which has a distinct type of southern drawl. Long was assassinated in the Louisiana State Capitol Building in Baton Rouge in 1935. The movie is good political drama though.

@Citizen Rules, Slightly Scarlet it shall be! Love both those ladies and John Payne might be somewhere on my ballot.

Born to Kill I have not seen, but it's been on my Watch List for quite a while. I've not seen All the King's Men and like a lot of people here, I didn't know it was considered Film Noir even in the slightest. But that just makes me want to watch it more. Some day.

#15 He Walked By Night List Proper #88

I forgot the opening line.
I've seen one of these!

#83 All The King's Men - I've got this on DVD and really like it. All the King's Men gives great insight into the political process as much as it corrupts even the most steadfast of incorruptible men, and features Broderick Crawford in a terrifically powerful performance as politician Willie Stark - perhaps the role of his lifetime. The role of the press in the political process makes for something really interesting as well - so much power the press really holds in it's hands when it comes to influencing a nation. At least in the way it wants to present the information it gleans. It's a complex film that treats it's viewers with respect and aims high at what it wants to say - doing so in a way that worked so well it was one of those big films of it's era. I have it on DVD and it is very much overdue another watch.

I have not seen (nor heard of) Born to Kill.

Seen : 3/18
Heard of but not seen : 1/18
Never heard of : 14/18

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. seen born to kill and remember nothing about it except how wild it is to see young laurence tierney. been meaning to watch all the king's men because it's the only best picture winner i haven't seen yet, think this should give me the push i need to actually do that.

#82 The Amazing Mr. X (1948)

Director: Bernard Vorhaus
Production: Samba Productions
Cast: Turhan Bey, Lynn Bari, Cathy O'Donnell
37 Points, 2 Lists

'On the beach one night, Christine Faber, two years a widow, thinks she hears her late husband Paul calling out of the surf; then meets a tall dark man Alexis, who seems to know all about such things.'

#81 Too Late For Tears (1949)

Director: Byron Haskin
Production: Hunt Stromberg Productions
Cast: Lizabeth Scott, Don DeFore, Dan Duryea
37 Points, 3 Lists

'Through a fluke circumstance, a ruthless woman stumbles across a suitcase filled with $60,000, and is determined to hold onto it even if it means murder.'