Movies you think are dated

Tools    

Mig
I just saw Seven Samurai, for the most part I found it somewhat boring.

I guess that it is hailed as such a masterpiece largely on the basis of its influence.

I've heard that it's quite a treat visually, but I didn't really find it to be such.

I'm not saying that my opinion is definitive or anything, but it seems to me that probably, this was a great film, that's allowed for a number of great films to come along since.

You can use this thread to share wether you agree with me or not, or simply to bring up a movie you think is dated.

Whilst I still enjoy the film, damn near every scene screams 80's, and not on a particularly positive note. As far back as I can remember, I've never laid my eyes on a flick that has fit into a decade to such a degree as Manhuter. So much that, from a technical standpoint, the film is abundantly downgraded.

Seven Samurai dated? Derp!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

In the Beginning...
The Dark Crystal and The Last Starfighter are both quite dated, despite being childhood favorites. I have a hard time watching either.

Willow is also showing considerable age, but I think its charm is still as timeless as ever.

The Terminator, from the neon-lit club, down to the Casio keyboard score all wreaks of the eighties.

...uh the post is up there...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It depends whether dated is the same as 'of its time'. Films like Terminator and Scarface are so obviously 80s it's almost funny. But then they are set in the eighties so that's ok. Period authenticity. Visions of the future in older films date more badly than films set in their own time. Versions of the past often impose contemporary fashions and ideals onto the source material and as such can date badly as well, but not necessarily.

In the Beginning...
The Terminator, from the neon-lit club, down to the Casio keyboard score all wreaks of the eighties.
When I watched it last month for the first time in over a decade, I was concerned that it wouldn't hold up, but it's still surprisingly watchable. Some of the FX and the police station shootout is pretty dated, but everything else gives it a distinct flavor that is kinda fun (especially since its sequel looks definitively 1990s).

Much of the action, though, is still amazing. I'm sorry, but it's gotta be said. The car chases and explosions in the film are incredible, given the budget, and the finale with the stripped T-800 is incredibly well-framed stop-motion animation.

I just tried to watch this one - Death Rides a Horse , the dvd transfer is the worst I've ever seen - I'd say it's on the tip of being unwatchable. Also , Seven Samurai didn't look good ?

You don't mean this one do you ?

Any movie that I don't want to watch again i consider dated

I know I will basically die for saying this...but

I agree with this, The Exorcist has not aged well.

But, The Seven Samurai? No way! It's still one of the most beautifully shot, engaging, best directed movies ever made.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Woman of the Year (1942)

"A woman's place is in the kitchen"...

...until a war breaks out.

This film was out-dated before it hit the theaters.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm a little confused about Woman of the Year since it's about a famous woman reporter who's also a pioneer feminist. After she marries a sports reporter, she proves that she's just not a very good cook or housewife when she makes the attempt. Sure, to "save her marriage", she offers to give up her job to tend to the man she's married to, but it never actually happens in the movie.

Mig
Meatwadspiret, what a weird name....
Yea, that's the one I'm talking about.

Those pics look a lot more crisp than the version I saw, but still I wasn't really blown away by the cinematography.

The movie has a huge rep, I was expecting something along the lines of Citizen Kane visually, maybe I'm just dumb, but I was expecting something which stood out as fresh to me even today. It didn't.

The plot is decent and I know it's been ripped off a bunch of times since (then again, we're discussing wether it's dated, not the originality).

This is a 3 hour film, it may well be a contemporary masterpiece, but today I don't think it holds up, what can I say, it bored me.

I know this is an arbitrary comparison, but I think a movie like 12 Monkeys is the better of the two... in terms of its plot, directorial style, acting, as well as its themes.

As for some of the movies brought up, I think The Exorcist is still pretty special. Of course it no longer has the impact it must have had when it first came out, Hell, I no longer think it had in the 90's when I first saw it.
I still think the effects seem real and the performances by the actors are something that won't date.

I dig Manhunter, you're right, it's so 80's you can practically taste it, but I don't mind, in fact I think that special flavour is part of why it's memorable.
Plus it's situated in the 80's I'm pretty sure, so like someone pointed out, the sense that it is from a prior decade only helps establish its authenticity.

As far as science fiction is concerned, I think a lot of the stuff comes across as badly dated, 2001: A Space Odessy however remains relatively fresh, and I think that's quite the accomplishment.