21 Jump Street

→ in
Tools    

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....

21 JUMP STREET
(2012)

What do you get when you put one of the funniest people in Hollywood with one that seems to be a heartthrob for the ladies? Apparently comedy gold! 21 Jump Street is ultimately a film set several years after the television series from '87 - '91. This is a film that seemingly many either had high expectations for because Jonah Hill was being put in a role we hadn't so much seen him in before, or, many worried significantly about as it was taking the idea of a much loved and respected TV series and turning it into a film adaption; something which hasn't been done well on several occasions (one of the more notable, The A-Team).

This sequel if you will is taken on by Chris Miller and Phil Lord and is written by star of the film, Jonah Hill & Michael Bacall. The story is unique, interesting and thoroughly entertaining from start to end. Schmidt (Hill) and popular high school jock Jenko (Channing Tatum) are polar opposites. In school they hated each other, but when they found themselves training at the same police academy to get themselves ready for the force they become the best of friends. However, their police work and methods are unbelievably unorthodox and as a joint team, they make for a dangerous (yet brilliant) combination. After a big screw-up in regards to a drug bust, the two officers are given their chance to redeem themselves by being sent to 21 Jump Street to an undercover police precinct (which is actually a Church). Here, they're introduced to their new boss, Captain Dickson (Ice Cube) and given their assignment; going back to a local high school to blend in and bring down a synthetic drug ring.

With a story as open as this and set in a school, there's bound to be a lot to go on. Stereotypes are addressed willingly, and a lot of fun is poked at the entire social structure that makes up high school life. The story pushes itself constantly and it never seems to let up, keeping your eyes drawn to the screen the whole way through. With a nicely written plot and more than enough witty, cheeky and politically incorrect lines and scenes to go round, there's no denying that 21 Jump Street is one of the funniest, action packed comedies to hit our screens for the last year or so.

This isn't a film that takes its time to get into things. From the get-go you're introduced to the main characters and witness their polar opposite traits. Not only are we shown the essential details of what these characters are like as adults going undercover as police officers, but we're also shown what they were like in high school and why they're going to make some of the decisions they make at their second chance behind youthful lines. And then, ka-pow! We're right back into the action of police life. Training, cussing, celebrating and not knowing the Miranda rights!

Directors Miller and Lord do an excellent job with pacing this film. We always know there is a down point of all comedies; a part where there's a falling out or just a simple drop in mood for whatever reason. While 21 Jump Street isn't absent of this cliche, it has a way of dealing with the drop in mood that doesn't take a way from the film and seem as if it's just come right out of the blue. Comedic timing and scenes are exceptional and the locations used for the film, brilliant in every aspect of setting the desired feeling in every scene. This is a film that has the perfect balance of comedy, romance and action - and really - how often do audiences get that perfect balance?

Leading the cast is obviously Jonah Hill who as always, delivers a hilarious performance. With his witty dialogue and his hilarious development from the start of the film to the end, you can more than tell that having a key part in writing this story allowed Hill to have Schmidt fit perfectly to his acting strengths. Channing Tatum who plays Jenko is unexpectedly funny. Going into the film, I expected Tatum to fall off the screen somewhat and seemingly fade into the background behind the comedy gold of Hill, but in turn, he more than holds his own; even at times being even more hilarious in his own way. While there isn't an immense strain on any of the casts acting talents and nothing pushing them to perform emotional, heartfelt scenes which connect with the audience - thats not what this films about. It's not a film that is trying to display exceptional acting talent but simply; it's trying to entertain. And it does just that because of those who've been assigned the roles within the film itself. Ice Cube's scenes are exceptionally funny and the stereotype of his angry police captain is just a little too good to be true. The other members of the cast also bring a lot to the table including that of the youngest Franco, Dave Franco who let us know he's an up and coming star - but perhaps not to reach the caliber his brother has.

This is a film to watch if you need a laugh. It's the kind of film that a group of guys can go and see with one another for a casual night out. I laughed myself silly and was more than happy to have seen the film; in fact, I went for a second serving and laughed myself out of the theater perhaps more than I did in the first place. A joyful ride with a great cast, great story and great directing!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm surprised by all the positive reviews this film is getting.

Suspect's Reviews

Movie Forums Insomniac
I'm surprised by all the positive reviews this film is getting.
Why?

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I saw it today and really liked it. Consistently funny and it exceeded my expectations.

This was definitely funny, but the third act drags and kills the moment. Oh, also, the dick jokes are growing old. Adam Sandler makes the same jokes. Take that as you will.

This was the funniest movie i've seen in a long time. Laughed throughout the entire thing. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill were HILARIOUS. They start off with Channing being the hot jock in high school and Jonah being the geek (not so slim shady) trying to get the girl to notice him. They become cops and end up being partners. I loved the part where they both take the drug and go through the stages. GO SEE IT!

Never seen it but my little cousin did. She said it was god awful. Not surprised really, Channing is awful in everything and Jonah Hill really isn't as funny as he thinks. I have no desire to see this crap.

I've heard this movie is really good, I need to go see it.

I absolutely loved it! There hasn't been a funny movie out in quite a while, so it was really pleasant to watch. It seemed like there was a clever joke every few minutes! I wish there were more movies coming out like this.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I wrote my thoughts in my reviews thread. I got a couple laughs out of it, but on the whole it was very bland. Also did anyone else find it odd that the film doesn't address the fact that two 26 year old cops are fraternizing with teenagers in a manner that's extracurricular to their undercover responsibilities?

Also what's the implication of Jonah Hill's character falling for a 17 year old? The fact that it plays this off not as a comedic "dude you get to bang the hot jail bait" type of situation or at the other end of the spectrum, a "robbing the craddle/disgusting/advantage taking pedophile" seems all a bit odd to me. It plays this plot point off like it doesn't exist. Very peculiar and slightly disturbing, and it's not the content either as I love Leon, Manhattan, Great Balls of Fire, American Beauty, and a dozen other films where a grown man falls for an underage lady - but the point is, the films address the issue. Did anyone else think about this while watching the film?

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny myself. Lately I've been really weird about movies though. Overall great jokes and funny scenes.

I Love Movies! That's all
Also what's the implication of Jonah Hill's character falling for a 17 year old? The fact that it plays this off not as a comedic "dude you get to bang the hot jail bait" type of situation or at the other end of the spectrum, a "robbing the craddle/disgusting/advantage taking pedophile" seems all a bit odd to me. It plays this plot point off like it doesn't exist. Very peculiar and slightly disturbing, and it's not the content either as I love Leon, Manhattan, Great Balls of Fire, American Beauty, and a dozen other films where a grown man falls for an underage lady - but the point is, the films address the issue. Did anyone else think about this while watching the film?
I thought the same thing while watching it. The movie was pretty hilarious all the way through. But the parts where no one seemed to mind Hill's character (who is like what? late 20s?) having a romance with an underage girl kind of grossed me out.

This was definitely funny, but the third act drags and kills the moment. Oh, also, the dick jokes are growing old. Adam Sandler makes the same jokes. Take that as you will.

Saw this last night and these were my thoughts exactly. I enjoyed it but my wife enjoyed it more, which is a bit unusual for a movie like this.

It was pretty funny and I am not the biggest fan of these films.
I would recommend it.
For a comedy I would give it 3.5 stars.
As an all out movie maybe 2 stars (not a fan of this genre)

Seems to be a bit of love for this film. I wasn't so sure so haven't seen it. The old TV show was great though - maybe I should check it out.

Yeah it is definately worth watching, I went to the cinema not expecting to much but was pleasently surprised with how much I enjoyed it!