What do Americans think of Russell Brand's MTV Awards Rant?

Tools    

Hello friends,

I have to confess to being a fan of Mr. Brand's comic musings, and have just seen his hilarious MTV awards monologue (admittedly I'm a little behind here). To me he had the balls to say what many Europeans are thinking (and very concerned about) regarding Obama winning the presidential election. His wording 'on behalf of the rest of the world' was immaculate, and his comments on Bush and the Palin debacle hilariously accurate. On reading the Youtube posts (probably all from 14 year old rednecks) below the clip however, it seems middle America was deeply offended by Mr. Brand's scathing satire.

So What did you really make of it America?

I can't speak for America, but my thoughts are 1) he's a funny guy, and 2) he was talking out of a**.

Nobody who pretends that they want to raise the level of debate and discourse can defend this sort of talk with a straight face, though such comments still tend to get a pass from people who agree with them, even if they have sense enough not to phrase their thoughts in such a crude way. If you dislike Rush Limbaugh calling liberal women "feminazis" (and everyone ought to), you should dislike this, too.

Basically, if you find yourself describing someone you disagree with with a phrase like "retard cowboy," it tells me that you're unable or unwilling to put genuine thought into what you disagree with, and why. I think it's indicative of a kneejerk, surface-level disagreement that seems all too common among celebrities, whose opinions are almost always much bigger than their insight.

It was also an insult to retarded cowboys everywhere, many of whom are quite high-functioning and competent. Some even manage to eat pretzels without almost dying, and few of whom have doctored and cherry-picked evidence to start a war.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
I didn't see it, because I abhor MTV. Trying to dig up a transcript of his speech...

A system of cells interlinked
It was also an insult to retarded cowboys everywhere, many of whom are quite high-functioning and competent. Some even manage to eat pretzels without almost dying, and few of whom have doctored and cherry-picked evidence to start a war.
Reading some of the speech now. Say, shouldn't liberals (who abhor hate speech of ANY kind, especially aimed at handicapped people) be decrying his use of hate speech?

And hey, why are Repubs watching MTV in the first place?

Personally, I think the guy should be able to say whatever he wants, you know, free speech and all. Guy seems pretty funny.

Anyone else have a serious response?
I've just seen it, and the only response to your post would be, lighten up, it's comedy, not a serious discourse on the competency of your president. But then again, I'm not a Republican so my feelings weren't hurt...

Incidentally, I haven't seen much of Brand's work, but from a few youtube clips I'd say he's not a particularly funny comedian. I did like him in Forgetting Sarah Marshall though...

I do not mind the message, he is entitled to that, just wrong place to do it IMO, a bit weak.

Not as funny as this:

&feature=pyv

I've just seen it, and the only response to your post would be, lighten up, it's comedy, not a serious discourse on the competency of your president.
If I believed for a second that it wasn't indicative of how he (and some other people) actually feel(s), I'd probably agree with you. I think passing it off as comedy is a huge stretch; in fact, this is the first I've heard anyone suggest that this was meant to be a joke; it doesn't even read like one. All accounts I've read say he basically went off on a rant.

Incidentally, I haven't seen much of Brand's work, but from a few youtube clips I'd say he's not a particularly funny comedian. I did like him in Forgetting Sarah Marshall though...
He was on Conan O'Brien's show awhile back, too. Easily one of the five funniest interviews I've ever seen on that show.

If I believed for a second that it wasn't indicative of how he (and some other people) actually feel(s), I'd probably agree with you. I think passing it off as comedy is a huge stretch; in fact, this is the first I've heard anyone suggest that this was meant to be a joke; it doesn't even read like one. All accounts I've read say he basically went off on a rant.
Ok, he's a comedian who was hired to host the VMAs. Of course he was going to come out with a slew of provocative jokes meant to rouse people. I believe he's built a career on being provocative...the guy probably never gave any serious thought to Bush's policies, it's just very easy to heckle people in power. Not something people should get worked up about...

He was on Conan O'Brien's show awhile back, too. Easily one of the five funniest interviews I've ever seen on that show.
Oh yeah? I'll have to check it out. I saw some CBS clip...I don't like comedians who think they can make anything sound funny if they shout it loud enough...

I miss his stand up he was really funny.

You're a Genius all the time
I don't find Brand particularly funny, but I will say I've been thinking the exact same thing about the poor guy who impregnated Sarah Palin's daughter. So, at least from where I'm standing, he hit the nail on the head with that part of his monologue.

I've been thinking the exact same thing about the poor guy who impregnated Sarah Palin's daughter.

That is a quite sad statement, unless of course you know him and have asked him about it. If you were in his shoes would you want anyone to tell you how you should feel? I mean when I was young (19) and found out I was going to be a father I could care less what anyone else thought except my wife and myself, maybe he is happy?

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's a much higher profile way to launch your career in America than a bit part in a Rom Com, that's for sure. Oh.

Cue references to "my dinkle" ad infinitum...

The swine!!!

The key words in Brand's rant to me were 'on behalf of the world'. Naturally no-one is saying to America 'you must do this', but the rest of the world want to see the American people vote out a government that has led half the world on a less than merry dance (based on lies) into war. A war that has made the world a much more dangerous and frightening place.

They want rid of an administration that seemingly doesn't give two hoots about the environment, and just steamrolls in all guns blazing whenever their precious oil (of which they are the biggest consumer worldwide) is threatened.

They want rid of a government that has no problem with bullsh*t like 'Intelligent Design' and 'Creationism', theories that are just as crazy and terrifying as Islamic extremism.

We want you to see this madness for what it is and say 'enough' to the rest of the world by saying 'no more' with your vote. We hope that you see through the Palin 'PR Stunt' and collectively say 'I'm not buying this crap' before voting for change with a landslide.

Most of all we want our faith in the US restored, because regardless of what Americans may think right now, we like your country. We're just terrified of your government.

I'm not trying to incite an argument with these comments, I'm just very concerned right now that the media circus surrounding Palin is pulling the wool over America's eyes again. No matter who gets in I know that our weasel of a prime minister will just follow them like a rat after the pied piper. This election has huge consequences for the rest of the world, and we are watching.

You're a Genius all the time
That is a quite sad statement, unless of course you know him and have asked him about it. If you were in his shoes would you want anyone to tell you how you should feel? I mean when I was young (19) and found out I was going to be a father I could care less what anyone else thought except my wife and myself, maybe he is happy?
Sure, maybe he does love Ms. Palin and is very happy to be the father of her child. Sure. But if you had seen that young man's face at the Republican National Convention, you'd feel a little sorry for him, too.