Choose a Favorite Film and List 10 Reasons Why You Like It So Much

Tools    

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
ummm i'm going to bump this up because there's no way my beautiful Lord of the Rings appreciation post is going to die with this thread...

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

4. Sam and Frodo – Call them gay I don’t care that just means you’re ignorant and I probably wouldn’t like you anyway.
That's soooo funny and adorable of you lol

Great little novel on the trilogy. I love how your love for TLOTR is infectious, whenever I hear you talk about it and reading this right now makes me like them more, and you can definitely feel your lovin for it in this post

Film Fan
I don't know about Sam and Frodo not being gay.... Randall provided quite the convincing theory in Clerks II....

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
lmao Elias is one of the most loveable characters ever, Randall...not so much but at least he's funny

I love how your love for TLOTR is infectious
yesss yesss watch them!

Reservoir Dogs

1. Character names : Nice Guy Eddie , Mr. White , Mr. Orange , Mr. Pink , Mr. Blonde

2. Majority of the movie takes place in one location

3. Ear scene set to "Stuck in the Middle with You"

4. Intro scene set to "Little Green Bag"

5. Best usage of a non-linear storyline in any film

6. Violence is used sparingly , but incredibly cinematic when it is used

7. Who isn't likable in this movie ?

8. Harvey Kietel in the performance of a life-time

9. Each story told by the characters are amazing in their own right

10. The perfect balancing act - an important emphasis on style , but never mistreats it's characters : they are the top priority.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I appreciate your post, but I have a couple of comments. Have you seen Keitel in Taxi Driver, The Duellists, Blue Collar, Fingers, Bad Timing, Bugsy, Bad Lieutenant, The Piano, and many others I won't mention because I know that you either saw those movies or that Keitel wasn't as great in them, at least to me. Now, I'll be the first to say that I don't like some of the films above, but they're worth watching for Keitel's performances.

Non-linear films include The Godfather Part II, Pulp Fiction, 8 1/2, The Killing, Amores perros and many others of which I'm pretty sure you haven't completely watched. Just mentioning...

I appreciate your post, but I have a couple of comments. Have you seen Keitel in Taxi Driver, The Duellists, Blue Collar, Fingers, Bad Timing, Bugsy, Bad Lieutenant, The Piano, and many others I won't mention because I know that you either saw those movies or that Keitel wasn't as great in them, at least to me. Now, I'll be the first to say that I don't like some of the films above, but they're worth watching for Keitel's performances.

Non-linear films incluse The Godfather Part II, Pulp Fiction, 8 1/2, The Killing, Amores perros and many others of which I'm pretty sure you haven't completely watched. Just mentioning...
I might have to check out a couple you mentioned

As for non-linear films , I think it's a great technique and have seen tons of films use it (including Godfather 2 , Pulp Fiction , 8 1/2 , Rashomon , Mulholland Drive) and none of them have ever been able to take advantage of it as well as Reservoir Dogs does.

Don't forget Mean Streets for Keitel.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Hard Candy

1) Pedophilia, a topic in and of itself so uncomfortable and disturbing that you feel guilty for watching and being so fascinated.
2) Never knowing- truly not sure- about a character's guilt/innocence until the end.
3) An unforgettable castration scene.
4) An unforgettable fake-out.
5) Feeling truly sorry for a rapist, even after the movie is over.
6) A morally ambiguous main character, just creepy enough to get under your skin.
7) Ellen Page dancing provocatively in a sports bra . . . it rivets you with discomfort.
8) Great cinematography.
9) Tight, fantastic dialogue.
10) Great cover art.

THE PIANO

1. The score. I'm listening to it right now. Music has a very strong effect on me and the stuff Michael Nyman conjured for this film was absolutely phenomenal. Every time I hear it I get images of the rainy beach scene in my head.

2. The weird love story. Can't say that exploiting a woman's love for her piano to get sexual favors ever struck me as romantic but somehow that's how it turned out in this movie. Huh.

3. The Keitel. This might be my favorite performance from him. He doesn't look the part, that much is for sure, but he makes up for that with his enthusiasm and I found his willingness to go balls out (LITERALLY!!!) with his performance very admirable.

4. Visuals. Muy magnifico. I thought this movie looked great. Jane Campion who I probably wouldn't even have heard of if it weren't for this movie, really goes to town with the exterior scenes. Stuart Dryburgh, the cinematographer, also gets a boatload of credit as well for this feat.

5. Sam Neill. 'Nuff said.

6. Holly Hunter/Ada McGrath. Holly Hunter's performance as the lead, Ada, was managed to be both sublime and incredibly frustrating at the same time. I'm sure that effect was intentional though. That character must've been the most astronomical pain in the butt and watching her during some of the scenes is like a piece of glass doing jumping jack inside of my head. Holly Hunter did a most excellent job of playing this pain in the butt.

7. The shadowplay scene. It was a funny bit to a very not funny movie.

8. Slow motion dismemberment. Almost pooped myself during that part.

9. Little Anna Paquin. Not only did I find her character to be lots of fun but Paquin also did an incredible job bringing it to life considering she was like what? Seven? I can't do math.

10. Sex. Though the scenes weren't especially passionate I thought they were very good compared to most of the tripe we see in romantic dramas. Thumbs high for the effort.

THE GODFATHER PART II

1. The Brothers Corleone. I don't have any siblings but if it's anything like how the Godfather movies portray it... f*** that. In all seriousness though, I thought the relationship between Michael and Fredo existed on the absolute highest level of cinematic drama possible. The whole dynamic there is very complex (or maybe even off-kilter) as Fredo points out a couple times in the movie and the evolution of that relationship as the story unfolds is-- WOAH. Yeah. Lovez et.

2. Michael. Watching Michael's transformation from a Mafia head honcho into an all-around monster is always an interesting experience. He starts off the movie in a good place (or as good a place we'd expect a mobster to be) but as the story progresses we see the clay of his being that had been fashioned after his father being stripped away, revealing him as he is. Not as who he wants to be, clearly he is not happy at the end of the film, but as who he is compelled to be. The most tragic thing about Michael is that he is a good person but he had dug himself in so deep that there was no escape that would be quick enough to salvage the relationships that he held dearest.

3. The Pacino. People do not give Pacino the credit he deserves for these films. Do. Not. When people talk about the performances in the films it's all about Brando in the first and De Niro in the second but I say "nay" to that. Pacino's subdued and naturalistic acting has pulls the audience (or at least me) in, making us believe that he is the cold calculated master mind criminal that everyone else in the story believes him to be. And oh man, don't get him angry. His yelling has become a bit of a joke but they were anything but that in Part II.

4. Vito Corleone. The side story with Vito used to bother me but I've come to embrace it. Aside from the fact that it itself is an amazing piece of entertainment, it also magnifies the terrible transformation of Michael not only by showing how Vito gets by without becoming a monster but also in the scenes where it is clear that Michael is the "golden child" in his eyes. Oh, and the assasination scene is the stuff dreams are made of.

5. Keaton/Kay. It takes a lot of balls to stand up to Michael Corleone and it takes a lot of talent to hold your own against a raging Al Pacino but Diane Keaton accomplishes the latter and makes us believe that character is strong enough to accomplish the former. In accomplishing this she sets up the grand puba of the criminal underworld for one of the bigger nose dives of his life and she doesn't get away clean either. The scene in the hotel room between the two (you know what I'm talking about if you've seen it) is one of the most intense matches of personalities in the movies.

6. Cuba. This is a really frickin' long movie and I love it all but the segment in Cuba plays such an integral part in it, not only setting the stage for things to come but also adding poignancy to certain events that preceded it. Roth spilling his guts to Michael, the New Year's party, the brothers having a heart to heart at the cafe, the failed assassination, and of course "Superman". That was one crazy vacation.

7. The visuals. The look of this movie is perfect. So many scenes in this movie overwhelm me with their sublime images even after having seen them many times before. The look of almost every scene sets the tone for that scene serving only to further enthrall the viewer in the action. Thank God for Blu Ray because those old DVD transfers were a bit disappointing.

8. "Hail Mary". The final string of deaths that close (or almost close) the film are done in a very similar way to the assassinations near the end of the first movie yet they are so vastly different. In the first movie people might be doing mini fist pumps when they see all the people that have been messing with the Corleone family go down-- but here? Dang. In terms of materialistic gain, yes the killings are a triumph for Michael, but they serve only as a bloody monument to the abomination he becomes.

9. John Cazale. About thirty years after his death and he's finally getting the universal acclaim he always deserved. A documentary is going to be released soon (I think it's making the rounds at the indie festivals) in his honor and the fact that he has only been in Best Picture nominated films has become a well known bit of cinema trivia. He does nothing but tug at the heart strings in this movie because he so perfectly emobodies the throroughly inadequate Fredo and though we may root for things to turn out okay for him in the end we know his adversary is too smart and too strong for him.

10. The pwnage of Senator Pat Geary. He makes his first appearance near the beginning of the movie talking to Michael Corleone like he's just another greaser mobster and there's just a little bit of satisfaction, at that point, in knowing that he's gonna get it at some point in the movie. It's just that when it happens... we kinda wish it didn't happen. So yeah, I guess I got pwn'd by that set-up too.

Guess I went a little overboard with this one but whatever. I love this movie and it's late. I ramble when it's late.

You want to post like me?
4. Sam and Frodo – Call them gay I don’t care that just means you’re ignorant and I probably wouldn’t like you anyway.
Speaking of LOTR:

Nah I really like LOTR. But that doesn't stop me from thinking this is hilarious

A system of cells interlinked
Hard Candy
3) An unforgettable castration scene.
WARNING: "Hard Candy" spoilers below
It was a crazy scene. I just hope you are one of the people that picked up on the fact that she didn't actually perform the surgery. It was an elaborate set-up to trick the guy, lowering his defenses to finally confess to the murder. He plan was to kill him from the start. When he sat up after getting free, he reached down and said "I'm....I'm all there! I'm all intact!"

Some people argue this point. They would be wrong. It is quite clear in the film, from that line I quoted above, and from the fact that he wouldn't have been running around fighting 2 minutes after surgery.

5) Feeling truly sorry for a rapist, even after the movie is over.
I remember feeling bad for the rapist guy in Little Children , the directors of these films are probably rapist thats why.