The Wicker Man

Tools    

The Wicker Man

Release Date: September 1, 2006
Director: Neil LaBute
Screenwriter: Neil LaBute
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Ellen Burstyn, LeeLee Sobieski, Molly Parker
Official Website: TheWickerManmovie.com
Plot Summary: In a remake of the 1973 British horror thriller of the same name, Nicolas Cage plays a reclusive sheriff who goes to search for his astranged daughter after she mysteriously disappears on a secluded island. When he arrives, he senses something more is amiss among the island's secretive residents as he starts to uncover a mystery involving strange sexual rituals, a harvest festival and possible human sacrifice.
Trailer:High Definition Super Hi-Res Hi-Res Med-Res Lo-Res

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
This has serious suck potential, and yet I'm perversely looking forward to it.
The original is so odd, and rather dated.. It could be marvellously strange. Is the new one a musical, too?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
This has serious suck potential......Is the new one a musical, too?
The film looks pretty suspenseful and mysterious. I don't why it looks so bad. Although, have you even checked out the trailer at all????? That might help.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by jrs
The film looks pretty suspenseful and mysterious. I don't why it looks so bad. Although, have you even checked out the trailer at all????? That might help.
The trailer looks like the usual jump-cutting, big bang nonsense that passes for mainstream horror thesedays. If the film's anything like it (and I'm not saying it is - things could be even worse) then I'm not overly excited.

That The Wicker Man is a remake of one of my favourite films doesn't enter the equation - the original is unique and director Robin Hardy and star Christopher Lee don't seem to have anything good to say about this version (Link). The differences in story can be found here. It all sounds rather underwhelming to me.

In fact, the scariest thing I found in the trailer were Nic Cage's ghostly white gnashers...

You're all raving mad!

A system of cells interlinked
*Sighs*

First off, thanks for the info J! Always good to have the early warning on stuff, and you sound them often. That said, I can't believe they remade this thing. Just because they already made another film in the 80s that totally, um, borrows the big twist, almost exactly. I wonder who they think they will fool this time..... Since Michelle eats horror for breakfast, I presume we will attend a showing, though...

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i just saw the trailer with the omen, and it looked promising. i like nicolas cage and feel he's good at "haunted" and "angst-ridden."

it seems to take from shyamalan's "the village" mentality (people doing mysterious things mysteriously away from the rest of the world) and looks a bit dated/period-like (1950s?).

got an open mind, hoping to enjoy it and be surprised.

Originally Posted by Jrs
I was specifically talking to SamsoniteDelilah. She thought that it was a musical.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by jrs
I was specifically talking to SamsoniteDelilah. She thought that it was a musical.
The original was. Hence her comment.

The trailer didn't look anything spesh to me either. But then again, knowing the end to a movie like this always spoils the build-up. Who knows, maybe it'll do a good job? Maybe it'll be utter pants? All i know is that it won't have a bawdy Britt Ekland in it . Or curious 'pagan' songs, by the looks of it.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by jrs
It's like this, jrs.
The reasons I said it has suck potential have been covered by Tacitus and Sedai - mainly that one of the things that made the original film work was that it was this insane musical, which added an element of creepy distraction from an otherwise fairly straightforward plot.

Personally, I think we need to see more musical horror.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by jrs
Thanks for clearing that up. As for the original version of this film, I haven't seen it (or care to)
Ah well, your loss. *shrug*

District B13
I really hope this movie doesn't suck.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I found the original quite overrated, so I don't care about the remake.

And I don't consider the original to be a musical - I mean, there was a point in the singing, it wasn't just random burst-into-song like Singin' in the Rain is. They were pagans doing rituals and stuff.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Nexus
And I don't consider the original to be a musical - I mean, there was a point in the singing, it wasn't just random burst-into-song like Singin' in the Rain is. They were pagans doing rituals and stuff.
I wouldn't call it a musical either, not in the traditional sense anyway. It's definately a film where the songs are integral, though, and I think that's what people are getting at.