could there be a good live action dragon ball z movie?

Tools    

i don't see why not. the latest man of steel had battles truer to dbz than its own source material. and goku is so much more interesting than a guy like superman. it has the following, it has the villains, it has the characters. vegeta's quite complex, actually. why couldn't this be a great action movie?

They tried a live action film once already. It was bad.
right. which is why this thread is talking about whether there could be a good one or if this is just a property that wouldn't translate to live action film.

Ok, I'll elaborate.

It's hard to make decent films from something that has so many spin-offs and universe crossovers, and has little continuity between storylines.
Dragon Ball Z has little in common with Dragon Ball, in turn they have little in common with Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Kai.
There's no real coherent line of storytelling apart from including the same characters and their motives.

It'd be hard to take something that is such a broad spectrum of random plots and turn it into a solid film. Which is exactly why the 2009 film was a complete waste of time.

I just think you have to focus it. If you're doing a DBZ film, you focus on a particular few things. The first might deal just with Raditz, the one after could introduce Vegeta, and after that bring in Cell. Just like how comic book movies often do there own thing, you create new stories (that fit into 2 hours) around the classic characters.

"could there be a good live action dragon ball z movie?"

No.

Dragonball Z has no good foundation to build on. Its pure drivel. Like Barney The Dinosaur but for teenagers.

I was made to watch an episode, this episode two DBallZ fighter whatevers were gonna fight, they face off, they traded words, they posed, they glared, and they did it again and again FOR THE ENTIRE EPISODE! This wasnt a cutaway where you see different characters stories then they come back to those two, this was an entire episode of mindless horribly written jibber jabber.

I would watch a movie about Snuggles the fabric softener bear before I'd watch a Dragonball Z movie.

"could there be a good live action dragon ball z movie?"

No.

Dragonball Z has no good foundation to build on. Its pure drivel. Like Barney The Dinosaur but for teenagers.

I was made to watch an episode, this episode two DBallZ fighter whatevers were gonna fight, they face off, they traded words, they posed, they glared, and they did it again and again FOR THE ENTIRE EPISODE! This wasnt a cutaway where you see different characters stories then they come back to those two, this was an entire episode of mindless horribly written jibber jabber.

I would watch a movie about Snuggles the fabric softener bear before I'd watch a Dragonball Z movie.
****, i was trying to downvote this. your opinion sucks man. even if it was for kids, the characters involved have the chance to be more interesting than that in a lot of superhero movies. vegeta in particular could be quite complex if done right.

I get it now.

The point of the question is for everyone to have "yes" as their answer.
he compared dbz to barney obviously i'm just trying to prompt discussion, but i'd much better understand if someone thought the plot might be too convoluted or (what the answer really is) that they'd just never get a large enough budget to do it justice. anything else really, but i just disagree with the points he made.

I love DBZ, but a GOOD movie is next to impossible.

As an adaptation it requires compressing an entire TV shows worth of story into a 2 hour movie. Doing this will cut out a lot of what is going on or cramming way too much into the film. Dragonball Evolution tried to do that by trying to fit multiple plot elements from multiple seasons into one movie and it sucked. To try and do so would require several 100 million dollar + 2 and a half hour movies just to get through the first season with Radditz and Vegeta and that will not happen since Dragonball Evolution was such a bomb.

Also why even try? Dragonball and DBZ are perfectly good on their own. No need to go live action for something that really only works with animation.

but now you have my attention
I don't see how in the live action movie they'd be able to turn their hair glowing blonde without it looking cheap. Love Dragonball z btw. Wet my pants when Super Saiyan 3 was introduced.

I love DBZ, but a GOOD movie is next to impossible.

As an adaptation it requires compressing an entire TV shows worth of story into a 2 hour movie. Doing this will cut out a lot of what is going on or cramming way too much into the film. Dragonball Evolution tried to do that by trying to fit multiple plot elements from multiple seasons into one movie and it sucked. To try and do so would require several 100 million dollar + 2 and a half hour movies just to get through the first season with Radditz and Vegeta and that will not happen since Dragonball Evolution was such a bomb.

Also why even try? Dragonball and DBZ are perfectly good on their own. No need to go live action for something that really only works with animation.
It absolutely would require a huge budget that it just wouldn't realistically have to make this solid. I don't think cramming too much in a problem intrinsic to the material since you can just go less descriptive. just like batman had new stories built for him in the nolan series, you could build new stories for these villains/switch them around. that might draw the irk of fanboys, but i think that's the only way it could be done. but i do think either raditz or vegeta would work best as your first guy (not both though).

As for the yellow hair, I've thought about this too. There'd have to be some other effect, because it would look ridiculous if there hair was changing length. Thought maybe they could be surrounded with a gold aura while they're in ss, and then change the color if they decided to talk about ss2 and 3.

Ok, I'll elaborate.

It's hard to make decent films from something that has so many spin-offs and universe crossovers, and has little continuity between storylines.
Dragon Ball Z has little in common with Dragon Ball, in turn they have little in common with Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Kai.
There's no real coherent line of storytelling apart from including the same characters and their motives.

It'd be hard to take something that is such a broad spectrum of random plots and turn it into a solid film. Which is exactly why the 2009 film was a complete waste of time.
How does Dragonball Kai have little to do with DBZ? It's a version more like the Manga is all, which means nothing more than less filler in the battles for the most part. That's like saying the uncensored DBZ isn't like the original because of the swearing and more blood. Also, GT isn't considered cannon but realistically, all it did was continue the story the same way that DBZ continued Dragonball. I think the connect quite easily. If you're talking movies, then yeah, it can get a bit more confusing, but those are only cannon within themselves so they don't have to be tapped into unless someone wants to tap into them.

What DBZ needs to be a good movie is a proper budget, less CGI unless we are talking energy based attacks, less dark backgrounds and random explosions for no reason, and a change to the mixing of different parts of the universe and the creator's own twists. Actors that aren't affiliated with action flicks, so we have a better chance at believing they are the characters they portray would help as well. Or, maybe they could get actors from famous over the top Karate flicks like Jackie Chan and anyone else who'd be willing to do it.

In the end, it might seem like I'm asking for a lot, and truth be told, I actually might be, but I still think it's possible. It might take more work than a regular film, but with at least two generations of fans to sell it to, it'd probably be worth it if they got it right.