The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

If it hasn’t been mentioned yet, The Last of the Mohicans is a war film, as it depicts The French-Indian War, and should be merit consideration for your ballots.
In addition to the 1992 version, there is also a 1920 version of The Last of the Mohicans, which is also eligible. Anyone who liked the 1992 film should also check out the 1920 version, which I personally think is actually a better film. Perhaps both versions of The Last of the Mohicans will make the countdown.

In addition to the 1992 version, there is also a 1920 version of The Last of the Mohicans, which is also eligible. Anyone who liked the 1992 film should also check out the 1920 version, which I personally think is actually a better film. Perhaps both versions of The Last of the Mohicans will make the countdown.

The 1936 one is also eligible.

I'm generally curious what shows up outside the normal genre this time.

July 26th. Allowing a few days for Oppenheimer, and repeating my intention of ensuring enough people have enough time for the longer movies
So......29 days? Final answer?

I'm sure many would. However, there are many who wouldn't. And I need to think of the effect that this will have on new users when it appears on the top 100 countdown, aside from logistically being different by the historical merit of separate release dates, as well as being counted as a series as much as a singular release on various websites, even sometimes both at once (ridiculous).

Now Shoah is eligible due to Imdb, as well as Napoleon, and both were originally released in one part. It's one thing for a single overlong movie to appear on the list on top of a five-hour one. But if I also include War and Peace, some will want The Human Condition listed because "the experience isn't the same unless you do it all at once." But time wise, it's impractical. Many won't be able to watch the whole series. If I love the series, I'd rather someone watches at least one part if possible than none of it. If there are three eight-to-ten hour movies on that list, new users will be drawn away from completing that list. I'm not looking forward to the first list I curate having that effect, especially since I personally love this genre that much.

I understand that this may upset some. But I need to go over the logical points rather than a purely emotional experience which is subjective despite its commonness among moviegoers. I've thought about this for months in the event that my volunteering from so long ago is granted, and I've considered both options. But my result is final, and I'm humbly asking the community to see the good in this:

A. Multiple parts calls for a lot of discussion, which I want to emphasize considering that I personally loved the novel back when I read it.

B. If new users see more than one War and Peace or more than one Human Condition, they'll be more drawn to watch a whole series of good movies. Let's be honest: sequelitis is a problem in the movie industry, and for two series not to have it will send good signals.

I feel more people will be drawn to watch those movies if they are treated as a series. So I do apologize if this is uncomfortable to some, but I am personally looking forward to the discussions of the movie series itself, especially since I may not have time to finish the series before the countdown begins but I've experienced the story anyway and loved it.
So if someone wants to vote for the entire masterpiece of War and Peace because no part should be excluded (A masterpiece with a piece missing, ceases to be a masterpiece) it would cost them four spots on the ballot??

So if someone wants to vote for the entire masterpiece of War and Peace because no part should be excluded (A masterpiece with a piece missing, ceases to be a masterpiece) it would cost them four spots on the ballot??

I've already been over this. The idea of "no part SHOULD be excluded" is completely subjective and not everyone will see eye to eye on that. I just listed every reason why it should not happen. It's not "costing" anything. And I repeat: not everyone will have time for all four parts. To dictate that you have to watch all six hours is unfair to everyone.

To narrow the list down, don't think I'll include "Cold War" films. Along with:
- Futuristic War ( Star Wars, Starship Troopers, etc.)
- Gang Wars ( The Warriors, City of God, etc.)
- Nuclear War ( Testament, Threads, etc.)
- Fictional War (The Andromeda Strain, Lord of the Rings, etc)

But will consider "Conflict Wars" like Korean, Vietnam, Middle East, etc.
Since we are so close, I'm adhering to what I posted last March.

Is anybody besides me watching war films in prep for submitting a voting ballot? I am, and if you want me to watch a war movie tell me the title and I might just watch it.

Who knows I might even end up loving it! It doesn't have to be obscure as there are a whole lot of well known war films I've never seen or haven't seen in years.

I would like to get a few more watches in. Looks like I have watched about 23, which is quite a bit less than I wanted. Only one new watch has made it onto my list so far.

Submitted my list

I took a pretty lose detinition. Would've included some looser picks (Avatar) but I decided to just stick with IMDB categories, rather than stretching it looking at other data bases.

Some may not love some of my picks, and I'll probably help some of the more arthouse choices get on. Initial prediction I'd say 14 of mine make it

Submitted my list

I took a pretty lose detinition. Would've included some looser picks (Avatar) but I decided to just stick with IMDB categories, rather than stretching it looking at other data bases.
Good thing you didn't include Avatar I just checked Imdb, Letterboxd and Rotten Tomatoes and it's not genre marked war...so wouldn't have been allowed anyway.

How many war movies have you seen now?
Oh, I don't know I don't log them. But I started watching 1 war movie a day in the beginning of March. I missed some days as I've been watching WWII documentary series as well. But my guess is by the time the countdown starts that would be 125 war movies watched in prep for my ballot. Of course I've seen many before too.

Just finished making a rough draft of my ballot. I'll double check to make sure I didn't forget anything and try to submit it over the next couple days.