The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A very bad person indeed!

Much worse

Beware The Probe!
Oh....woe is me....

It has finally happened. I made the mistake of playing a certain game at a buddies house while I was away, which I quickly infected my girlfriend with when I returned:

Yes - The evil World of Warcraft has invaded our lives.... See you guys next year.
I feel for you.
Especially if this is your first MMORPG.
I haven't played WOW myself but got hooked on a different one 5 years ago.
It takes a while to work out the initial addiction of such games for most people.
I was on it every day for a few years but now down to once or twice a week.

Expect many sleepless nights.

In the Beginning...
Ah, yeah. I played City of Heroes for a bit. Not bad. It was designed a little more with casual gamers in mind, thankfully, since I wasn't interested in spending hours on end playing the game. If I recall, the monthly fee wasn't as bad as other MMO games either. In the end, though, I got bored with the surface dazzle, and the constant attention to level-building and item-getting. That just doesn't have a lasting appeal for me.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I need a new PC case now. And why am I posting this in the games thread? It's the bloody graphics card's fault, that's why!

As you can see, it's got massive copper heat pipes on the side which, I dunno, you could use to fry tiny eggs on or something... They're hot.

The existing case has a massive intake fan on the side but it doesn't adequately get rid of the heat, even with 120mm intake and exhausts on the front and back. It also doesn't have a dust filter on the side so basically has to get shaved every couple of days.

Other than that the card is fantastic - Fallout 3 on Ultra with all the high def texture packs and it's running as smooth as butter. Very hot butter.

A system of cells interlinked
Bad ass, Taccy...for sure.

Bad ass, Taccy...for sure.
That card was my idea of saving money - it was just £30 more than a 4850 and should be a lot ... errr ... futureproofer.

Just assembled the case so officially have a broken back for the next 48 hours (all that bending ). I got a Cooler Master 335 which met my requirements of being:

a) Cheap
b) Great ventilation - 120mm exhaust at the rear and 120mm intake at the front
c) Cheap
d) Quality that belies the price (it was cheap)
e) It comes with a dust filter that covers practically the entire front of the case
f) Cheap
g) An important one - It doesn't have a bloody swinging door covering the drives/power button like my last one had. What a stupid idea those things are...

For the first time ever I managed to wire up the power switch, reset button and HDD light without taking 3 or 4 goes and thinking I'd killed the PC. This is because I did a really girly thing and followed the instructions in the mobo's manual. For shame.

Two of the earlier Elder Scrolls games, Daggerfall and Arena, are now available as free downloads from Bethesda's website.

Most PCs will need to run them through DOSbox because they're too old for modern PCs but there's a link for that and full instructions on the website. I played Daggerfall years ago and liked it a lot, better than Arena actually.

They may be old but, hey, they're legit and free.

Link

...and also extremely slow to download if you're me. Everyone must have been alerted at the same time as me.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Two of the earlier Elder Scrolls games, Daggerfall and Arena, are now available as free downloads from Bethesda's website.
Snap! I'm gonna have to download those.

...as soon as I get my XBOX back...

I did visit a friend yesterday, and had a chance to play the Battlefield 1943 DLC. For a mere fifteen bucks (I don't know how much that is in Irish duckets ), you get three multiplayer maps and a complete conversion to combat scenarios in the South Pacific. I was a little hesitant to play another WWII shooter, especially since I thought the Battlefield franchise had buried that hatchet for good. But this one is surprisingly fun, with the ability to fly fighter jets, set dynamite, control airstrike aircraft, and play chicken with beach-landing boats to your heart's content. Playing on the Jap side is particularly fun (Zeros!). I had a blast sneaking up on enemy personnel with my Scout, and gutting them with my Wakizashi.

My best moment: flying a P-51 onto an enemy aircraft carrier, landing it, destroying it so the enemy couldn't use it, stealing an enemy Zero, and flying it off to bomb unsuspecting Japanese with their own aircraft.

I got the demo yesterday and deleted it pretty soon after, to be honest. It reminded me of Warhawk only with stickier controls and not as good. It is good value though, works out at around £10 I think (Warhawk was 4 times that when I got it).

It's not Battlefield without 64 player support ... I heard the xbl/psn one's max at 22.

I've been getting into BlazBlue , at first I hated it because it does take awhile to get into - took me about 2 or 3 days and watching the tutorial dvd that comes with to get hang of it. There's only 12 characters but they all play very differently and have distinct advantages.

The fighting system is pretty deep with combo-cancels , barrier blocking , and countering - though some of the combos can get ridiculous : I don't know if it takes the crown from SF4 , but I think I'll be playing it more because of it's great online play and basic but important features (like six player lobbies ....)

But wait ... don't be rushing out to get this one if you still haven't picked up Fight Night 4 , which is imo the absolute best fighting game because of it's accessibility and simplification of complex fighting games. It's very pure strategy and reflexes.

In the Beginning...
I got the demo yesterday and deleted it pretty soon after, to be honest. It reminded me of Warhawk only with stickier controls and not as good. It is good value though, works out at around £10 I think (Warhawk was 4 times that when I got it).
Yeah, the learning curve was a good hour for me, but I got the hang of it. Actually, once you do, the feeling is pretty solid (and the Zero handles FAR better than the P-51). It seems Battlefield series as a whole has settled pretty definitively on difficult-to-maneuver aircraft, so you get used to it. Hell, I think it took me longer to learn how to fly the helicopters in GTAIV.

I got my hands on an old 1st gen PSP yesterday and spent a few hours fiddling around with it (couple of scratches on the screen and a dead pixel in the corner but nothing that actually shows up when it's playing) before coming to the conclusion that I'm not a handheld person.

I've got an NDS which has been sitting in its box for 12 months...

Maybe it's because I've got fingers like a lb of sausages?