Best/Worst Fantasy Films

Tools    

This seems to be quite a sporadic genre. This year though it seems fairly prolific with Rings, Potters and Dragons. Here are my best/worst lists. What are yours?

A Kings reward to-

LOTR
Clash of the Titans
Jabberwocky
Conan the B
The Sword in the Stone
Princess Bride

A plague upon-

Harry Potter
Dragonheart
Legend
Willow
Beastmaster

Originally posted by gnasher

A plague upon-

Harry Potter
Dragonheart
Legend
Willow
Beastmaster
I could understand Beastmaster... but the others are great fantasy films! I mean why not put the D&D movie there instead?
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

death to final fantasy (well its sorta fantasy)

Now With Moveable Parts
A plague upon-

Legend
Ooooh...bad call.

My favs:
LOTR:FOTR
The Princess Bride
The Dark Crystal
Neverending Story
The Hobbit (cartoon one)
The Dragon Slayer
Clash of the Titans

Best fantasy movie is definatly Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Legend: Bad call? As in its bad or I'm wrong? Either way I haven't met anyone who has been able to stay awake through this piss poor excuse for a film. Shame on you Ridley Scott and Tom Cruise we haven't forgotten!

How 'bout this dragon movie coming out: Reign of Fire, anyone reckon it'll do the business? Looks pretty down and dirty and no talkin' drags either!

darn it, my posts here were deleted as well! ok basically if any one can recall LOTRs is the best fantasy film and Harry Potter wants me to burn down the cinema

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
How 'bout this dragon movie coming out: Reign of Fire, anyone reckon it'll do the business? Looks pretty down and dirty and no talkin' drags either!
Why is it that when the word 'dragon' is mentioned, people automatically think fantasy? Yeah, dragons are pretty hard to come by, but why aren't dinosaur movies considered fantasy?

Sadie, I'm surprised you didn't mention The Labrynth.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, she digs that flick. I saw it when I was a little kid and thought it was pretty cool at the time. Especially that surreal part at the end with all the funky stairs.

"Who? The babe! The babe with the power."

Originally posted by Yoda
Yeah, she digs that flick. I saw it when I was a little kid and thought it was pretty cool at the time. Especially that surreal part at the end with all the funky stairs.

"Who? The babe! The babe with the power."
...What power?

"The power of voodoo. who do. you do. "
Do what? Remind me of the babe!

Quiet! A goblin babe...

My mom loved the music in that movie so much that she taped the songs onto an audiotape while the movie was playing on our TV. It sounded so crappy, but she'd listen to it for hours.

She was a big Bowie fan. I am, too, but not that big.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The old "stick a mic up to the speaker on the set and record the music" thing huh.

Anyone that tries doing that always gets a hilarious record. For instance, a family member yelling at them in the background.

Yep. It was awful!

I wonder if Mom still has that tape... The woman's a pack rat, so it's possible--and it would be so funny to hear now.

Ah, well. The sunny slopes of yesterday.

Why is it that when the word 'dragon' is mentioned, people automatically think fantasy? Yeah, dragons are pretty hard to come by, but why aren't dinosaur movies considered fantasy?
Because flying, firebreathing dragons have never existed on Earth? Just a guess.

Which neither fly nor breathe fire. But komodos are creepy as hell, and mean, too--didya see the Croc Hunter episode where he spent all that time with them? He nearly got eaten a bunch of times.

I will say, though, that genre-wise, Reign of Fire looks much more actiony than fantasy. It also looks d*mn cool--I'm looking forward to that one.

I gotcha.

You know, I'm re-reading all the movies posted, and I like them all, to some extent, (the good and the bad) excepting The Dragon Slayer, which I haven't seen (Sades, is that the one with the guy from Ally McBeal?).

My fantasy film standards are pretty low, I guess. If it's fun and/or looks cool, then I'm for it.

Oh--found one I didn't like: Dungeons and Dragons. That movie...

Now With Moveable Parts
Legend: Bad call? As in its bad or I'm wrong? Either way I haven't met anyone who has been able to stay awake through this piss poor excuse for a film. Shame on you Ridley Scott and Tom Cruise we haven't forgotten!

Sorry, I freakin' loved it. One of the best fantasy films out there...
Mary Lo~ One and the same baby! Did you see it?