Shutter Island

→ in
Tools    

I agree the entire film is a treat.. But I don't think I can ever accept the ending..
I think I will give it a second try... But I am sure I will still feel the same way about the ending..

Like I have said earlier, the ending is too common.

Common or "inside-the-lines" is basically what postmodern Scorsese is. I think he's picking hard and tried genres and taking 'em out for a spin. He does a damn find job even if it doesn't blow your mind.

Interesting. I can see his take on the superhero genre. It'll be the most spic and span, tightest edited, beautiful shot superhero film ever, but still not as exciting as some more messy ones.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
After watching Shutter Island, I couldn't help remember Arkham Asylum!!!!...

Maybe he could adapt Arkham Asylum.
Very interesting concept Genesis!

I've never heard of that but it looks too outside of usual genre lines.

He's adapting something that looks kind of "visual". I think it's a novel though.

The nice thing about Scorsese is that you KNOW he won't fail.

Bluray Collector!
Really enjoyed this movie, but short of a catastrophe, that was never in question. Absolutely loved the book and found the movie to be a good enough adaptation. Even though I knew what would happen, I was never bored.

The soundtrack however was very jarring.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Couldn't agree more. I predicted the ending before the trailer was over. I'm not exaggerating. Then again, I'll bet plenty of other MoFos did, too. 15 years ago it would've been a nice little mind-bender, but audiences today are too paranoid about films trying to put one over on them, methinks.

Anyway, very well made, with a nice wrinkle or two, but it just wasn't enough for me.
hm. so am i the only person who didn't care that the "twist" wasn't a "twist"? i mean, it wasn't original, and everyone guessed the ending before they saw the movie. but for me, this didn't detract from my enjoyment at all.

i kinda thought that was the point.

Scorsese is not a dumbass.

Twist was not twist.

Twist was not meant to be twist.

Expecting pleasure from a mere twist is an insult to the rest of the film and a fetishization of the twist.

Do the twist.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I absolutely loved Leo's acting in Shutter Island, he did an amazing job.

What a surprise.

Suspect's Reviews

I thought the twist was an anti-twist because some of the ideas "planted" could have been implied with the ending making both worlds possible. It's a confusing notion that I don't want to elaborate on though

Either way, Shutter Island seemed to be more of an exposition of a character in the dark, but in more ways than one. It explored this well I thought, and btw there are movies with twists, and then there are twist movies. Everything M. Night does is a twist movie, whereas this and Oldboy would be movies with twists

Yoda's an M. Night-head, so I can see how he'd have high expectations for a twist.

What matters is how consistent the film's twist is with the subject matter and what it says in relation to that subject matter. It's not just a film about Teddy but the state of mental health practices at the time. If you go back and watch the film again, the "role play" aspect really becomes clear. You get to see not only how Teddy reacts but how the entire island is trying to help him realize something. It really is just one huge therapy session, and the whole detective film with WWII flashback shtick is merely a projection of his pathological paranoia. In this way, I think one can argue how much film shapes our perception of reality. It is not just that Teddy was reliving his life, but rather, it was how he relived it in a way consistent with certain genre tropes, as if emulating the reality of film in order to make up for the deficit in his own life, having erased a good portion of that life.

*spoilers included*

The movie stands fairly well as a thriller, and the presentation is top-notch, but the ending is quite tried. I must admit that, as much as I liked it, I was expecting a little more from this Scorsese departure. On another note, I found myself thinking back on this film when watching "Inception" in theaters for the first time. In a way, Nolan's film is a follow up for DiCaprio in that both ultimately focus on his struggle to let go of a wife who died by his hand.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have known it was a twist it if nobody said anything? ...

--The Oracle--