Do you support your local video store?

Tools    

Do you regularly support your local video store?
43.48%
10 votes
Yes
56.52%
13 votes
No
23 votes. You may not vote on this poll

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Just curious as to how many people regularly support their local chain/store (no, independently owned Blockbusters don't count)?

I was going to make the switch to Netflix, but I've decided against it in favor of Video 21, a local juggernaut of a store here in Tallahassee. The cost may be higher, especially given the volume of films I've been renting lately, but I'd hate to see that wonderful place go out of business.

I do, however, have a soft spot for helping out the little guys against the big business. I'm sure it comes from working three years as a cook/kitchen manager at a local seafood house in VA, but I think it's much more satisfying knowing my money is going to a good cause. Plus, if you keep with local business the taxes actually go towards local improvements, whereas if you rent from a chain the taxes return to whatever state the company's head-quarters are in.

I know not every city/town has a place as fantastic as Video 21, but I'd like to hope that those that do have 'em don't let 'em die out.

I am having a nervous breakdance
As you probably know by now I live in Sweden and we don't have Blockbusters or Netflix here or anything equivalent to them. But anyway, yes, I support my local video store. It's less than 100 steps away from my home so it's pretty natural. But it's actually decent as well, and there's this girl who works there that is just CARAMBA!!!

Yikes, OG-! That avatar is something else!!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Neutral Milk Hotel
I just rented Incredibles last night and I go to Blockbuster almost every weekend plus I am signed up for Netflix. I only rent at Blockbuster because to buy a silent film that no ones ever heard of from there would probably cost 20.00
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Arresting your development
I don't rent movies anymore. Video stores have this problem with my return rate.

Yes but more out of habit than a moral decision. I've also shifted to using my public library a lot more in the last year or two. However, I do try to support my local comic store and buy books/rent movies (it has a massive rental section for both anime and Hong Kong cinema) from there whenever possible, even if I could get them more conveniently/cheaply elsewhere. It's a damn good little store and I hope it sticks around forever, screw Borders/Barnes and Noble.

When i was younger there was place called video galaxy. the owner and his family were good friends with my family. his prices were pretty high and had pretty bad movies but i stilll went because the owner was such a nice guy. then i started going to blockbuster and a few months later he went out of buisness and i since then i always think its my fault somehow.

May The Forks be With Us
I always go to Half-Price Books for my videos. It's in my local area and it sells video's therefor it must be, atleast in part, a video store. Even if you don't want to call it a video store, I still support it.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

I go to Movie Trading Company (which owns Blockbuster) and Anime Pop. I support both of them 110%.

With MTC, they have every title available and more, plus buy and trade DVDs as well. I must say they're very good when it comes to buying from customers.

Anime Pop is an excellent source for all things anime and foreign movies (Battle Royale, Volcano High, Phone, 2002, etc). I could hang out there for hours. .

Originally Posted by jrs
they have every title available and more, .
You mean there is more out there than everything available? My God I think I am in a paradoxial conundrum inside a vaccuum or something............????????

Originally Posted by 7thson
You mean there is more out there than everything available? My God I think I am in a paradoxial conundrum inside a vaccuum or something............????????

And more = Other than movies. Use your head.

Randomly visiting for now
I had to chose 'No' because the jerks from blockbuster bought out my local store and also 3 other stores within 1000m of my house, so I can't really go anywhere else. Ok that's not true I can but it would take me 40 minutes instead of 5 to get there, what can I do?

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'll have to say no, for two reasons:

1. My local 'non-chain' store seems to have a 50% hit rate as to whether you rent a pirate copy or not.

2. The manager of my local 'chain' store (Xtravision in Ireland) is an old friend....

Good god YES I support my local video stores. I haven't even set foot in a Blockbuster in years, much less rented something from the evil fu*ks.

Here in Portland there is an awesome place, probably the best rental outfit I've ever seen. It's called MovieMadness. Here's a look at their floorplan. The place is a huge maze, with the cheese around every corner being a damned impressive collection of movies.

The only store that comes close to rivaling Movie Madness that I've ever rented from is Le Video in San Francisco. The almost two years I lived in Frisco, I'm not sure I even learned where a Blockbuster was. Le Video had a great Laser Disc collection at the time, though I'm sure that's long gone by now and replaced with thousands upon thousands of DVDs.

Anyone who has a choice of renting at a locally owned store who goes to Blockbuster, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Of course I feel the same way about buying your books at Barnes & Noble or eating dinner at The Olive Garden, and shopping at WAL-MART for anything is pretty well a sin.

But as you were.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

As far as I know, there aren't any around here that aren't chain stores. I've only been here a little over a year, though, so there might be one tucked away somewhere that I've not yet noticed.

We supported our local store until it was bought out by Movie Gallery... Now I just go to the Blockbuster by work b/c of the movie pass... I save almost $100 per month by skipping Movie Gallery. Can't really argue with that.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

And this is my BOOMstick!
I only rent movies from MoviesPlus, a local video store. Don't know how small or big they are but they're connected to the Movie Experts chain.

EDIT* I guess they are independent.

Movie Experts is a national network of over 300 independent video stores from coast to coast across Canada. Since 2001, the Movie Experts network has grown at an exponential rate and by 2005 Movie Experts will have more storefronts than any other video specialty retailer in Canada.

Oh you better beleive i support my local video store...
there in only one in my city
Newark Video...
they have all the new movies... at the cheapest prices
2 bucks for 5 days.. can't beat the prices
new DVD's only 3 bucks for 5 days...

AND they have a nice selection of Playboy videos
and nude films... as well as a back room where you can rent hot
x rated films!

I'll never forget the first time i rented my first playboy home video from them.. i was only 15... and i took my mom's membership card....

The funny thing is many filsm with nude girls and playboy videos
are in the kids and Drama sections! they're out in the open and not closed off like the adult section...

Anyway that day i was going in there to rent a video game...
but what i say when i walked in... on the self was beyond my belief....
I saw a hot girl on the cover of a box....
at first i was like it's just some bikini moive or fitness vidoe...
then i saw the playboy rabbit.. and flipped the box over to find out.. there were going to be many sexy playmates in this film...
my heart started racing... i had the tape the card.. and money in my hand.. now i just had to get it past the cashier...
since i was still only 15....

Well i took the tape up to the girl at the counter and she just stared at the movie box then at me.. i was like ohh damm mim caught... she's not gonna let me rent this... i was so nervous...
The movie was Playboy's Wet N Wild 6 Bottoms up.. released in 1996....
great movie by the way!!!
anyways she said something in her laungue to the other girls working there.. probably asking weather to let me rent the tape or not....
well she finally say give me your card... and 2 dollars please...
and then i signed the paper.. and i rode my bike home....
so happy that i got the movie.. my mom was out working late...
it was around 7 pm.. she would get home at 11 PM....
i just poped in the tape.. and enjoyed.. the show..!!!
those were some hot girls taking all there clothes off...
and it was such fun!
My mom never knew what i did that night...
and till this day i rent playboy's and x rated DVD's
from the local video store for cheap prices....

Also they have a lot of new good movies also...
plus video games....

So yes i support.. my local video store...
where else am i gonna rent hot playboy's and
nasty movies at for so cheap???

You ready? You look ready.
I'm going to be blunt. My local video store can burn in hell.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza