I'll take a beer.

Tools    

I hate this so much. Character walks into bar asks for "a beer". Can you imagine how ridiculous it would sound if someone did this in real life?

To be fair, they would have to ask permission and/or get paid for using an actual been name in a film. I don't think anyone wants to do any free advertising in their films.

The Kevin Smith movie 'Clerks' has a prime example.

A member of public walks into the store and says "2 Packs Of Cigarettes".

He immediately hands over two packs of undescript smokes and gets on with the scene.
Awesome film? I think not.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
True. But they could say "I'll have whatever's on tap."
I agree this would make much more sense and sound more realistic at least for american movies, I don't know what you say in a bar anywhere else.

In Britain, whatever is on tap could be...

Guinness, or many different lagers, or many different bitters, or many different milds or many different ciders.

Bit of a choice for the barstaff. And yes, I've been a barman, so I know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Basically, you should say one of two things: "I'll have the special" or "I'll have your best".

If you were a regular ala Homer Simpson at Moe's who always drinks Duff, I think you could probably safely order this way. On a related note when I was in a resort in Jamaica, this would be the normal way to order beer (They only ever had Red Stripe) There are probably bars in the Midwest U.S. that only serve Budweiser.

For the record, I agree with you for the most part. You would never walk into a strange bar like that.

You could just make up a beer. "Gimme a pint of Blasterton's."

"Bligendoofs."

"Prarf"

"Pottsmansons."

"Barley Bartletters."

For example.

In Britain, whatever is on tap could be...

Guinness, or many different lagers, or many different bitters, or many different milds or many different ciders.

Bit of a choice for the barstaff. And yes, I've been a barman, so I know.
I did barwork when I was a student, too. And there are faaarr too many choices for anybody to come in and just ask for 'a beer'.

I always ask for their cheapest beer though, makes life easier for everyone