Politics UK

Tools    

King's I have a dream speech. The reason people still remember that is because he repeats it at the start of each stanza in the middle section. Doesn't he? Damn. Now I'm doubting myself.
Ahh. He does, though it's more of a call and response, which factors heavily into African culture. And it's a speech, after all, as opposed to an interview.

Anyway, it's not a specific political statement. More just an observation about how silly "staying on message" has gotten if a politician can give the same answer to four different (consecutive) questions.

I know a few on 0 hours.

It's basically the same as Agency work. 2 days work, nothing for 6 weeks, one day work, nothing for a week, half a day work, nothing for two months, 3 days work, nothing ever again...

It's pathetic and the Cons are not just supporting it, they're encouraging employers to do it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
We're referencing the Daily Mail comments section now?

Uh-huh.

He's got an evil brother who left politics in a huff (and in a reckless and provocative manner, according to Ed) and is now in charge of International Rescue. Or something.

I'm pretty stoked to find out that the guy who toppled Willie McRea in South Antrim is Chris de Burgh's cousin! From this:

To this:

Blimey! that's awful! both of them

This was posted on the Daily Mail website last night. Pretty much sums it up.
I for one am over the moon that the kind of changes Farage wanted aren't going to come about and that our electorial system has actually only given them one MP despite them getting so many votes. I can't abide them.

I for one am over the moon that the kind of changes Farage wanted aren't going to come about and that our electorial system has actually only given them one MP despite them getting so many votes. I can't abide them.
Well I can see that, much like a right wing Question Time panelist, I'm fighting a losing battle here. So I surrender.

Conservatives in power for the past 4 years with Lib Dems following their every move and keeping them, sort of in check.

Conservatives in power for the next 4 years with nobody to track them?

The Conservatives in Britain stand for:
Rich people stepping on the poor so they can make more money
Rich people getting tax cuts so they can make more money
Already millionaire politicians getting expense claims, for instance £250,000 for a moat on their mansion
Poor people getting stepped on by the rich
Small businesses held back from succeeding if success means a bigger company will lose money
0 hour contracts for people who work so they technically get paid less than Minimum Wage
Poor people getting hit with heavy tax rates to balance out the rich getting tax cuts
Low income workers getting heavier tax rates than high earners and millionaires
Poor people getting less from the benefit system
Low income families getting no help from the system

We are totally f*cked. Unless you're a millionaire, billionaire, or can claim expenses, you may as well just get out of your home now before the Conservatives bankrupt you and take it anyway.
Zero hour contracts are an abomination. The fact that they're handy for students and the like as presented by some politicians is just an excuse. A job should be a job with an employer giving an employee the statutory pay and conditions.
I'm much more worried now that the Tories have a majority. At least with the Lib Dems there they applied a bit of conscience, but now it's open house for them to do as much damage to the welfare system/NHS/education system they want to.

At least after this election, now both Labour and Conservative can use that joke about the number of pandas and the other parties MP's in Scotland.

I'm also pleased to see Ukip get only one seat, but I think it'll be interesting to see how Ukip develops from here on in. There'll be a new leader and, if Farage is right about the numbers of younger voters looking to Ukip now, it'll be interesting to see how the other parties react to that. Obviously there's the EU Referendum now to throw into the mix, too.

Despite that, nearly 4m votes and, IIRC, 120 second places is a huge advancement for the party, IMO. They only got one seat (and I was particularly pleased to see Mark Reckless get kicked out) but there's a lot to build on here for them. Don't dance on the Ukip grave just yet.

Well I can see that, much like a right wing Question Time panelist, I'm fighting a losing battle here. So I surrender.
sorry luv, nothing personal but I've been an adult under three Thatcher governments that did so much damage to my hometown and my own family. I can't bear to see working people on low wages suffer while businesses are allowed to defraud the government out of tax.
I'm uncomfortable with UKIP because despite the mollifying noises Farage comes up with, at their base they do attract elements of the BNP. Besides which I can't see that coming out of the EU is going to be the heaven sent solution to all our problems.

Anyone watching Question Time tonight?
yes. I usually listen to Any Questions with Johnathan Dimbleby on R4 on a Friday night but can listen to the repeat tomorrow afternoon.

Well, it was quite good actually. Strangely I don't think I've agreed with Alistair Campbell as much in my life as I have in the last 12 hours. It's a very odd feeling.

New Mp for me. An SNP former councillor Alison Thewlis. She's practically destroyed a family business . As my old MP was Ana's Sarwar who held the seat (Glasgow Central) since 2010 and his dad Mohammad had held it for 5 years before him as well as a different seat (Glasgow Govan) for the 8 previous years.

New MP for me too, Big Tom Elliot. He's inoffensive enough, I suppose, but with devolution Westminster politics is increasingly irrelevant.

NI MPs, of course, will tell you different.

Agreed that he's right and it's something that needed saying ..... but your own brother whose corpse is hardly cold?

I suppose having your little brother wreck your political career stings long term but Dave's looking like a silly Miliband. I've waited all day to work that one in.