Best Director To Emerge From The 90's

Tools    

Bryan Singer. Usual Supects, X-Men. I think he'll be someone we'll be hearing a lot more from in the future. He's not my favorite, but I just thought I'd mention him.

Kevin Smith, Guy Richie, David Fincher... the Wachowskis, definitely... Fight Club was a masterpiece, simply brilliant existentialism at its best. But, of course, we have Chuck Palahniuk (the original author) to thank for the plot. Chucky P is an awesome author... www.ChuckPalahniuk.net

-- Lars Von Trier.

To me it's him and Darren Aronofsky. Although some of the others mentioned are stylish directors, I care more about the legacy of their resulting films than how well ALIENS 3 was directed.

Dedicated Ewan freak forever.
These aren't in any particular order
1. Baz Luhrmann
2. Sam Mendes
3. Quentin Tarantino
4. Christopher Nolan
5. James Mangold
6. Bryan Singer
7. I guess, Guy Ritchie

Tarantino has the biggest database of movies out of all these directors. Baz Luhrmann puts all his time in to each movie he makes. The rest are just pretty cool and I hope they make lots more movies....

Takeshi Kitano

Although his debut film Violent Cop was released in 1989, He assumed complete cotrol over his following output. Films such as Sonatine, Kids Return and Hana-Bi have a freshness and originality that make his work stand out from the crowd. Recommended For the more patient, contemplative viewer.

crazed out movie freak
#1 Tarentino all the way. killer director
#2 Ron Howard made some awesome movies.
#3 Kevin Smith underrated genius

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
I feel that Paul Thomas Anderson and Quentin Tarantino are the two best directors to come out of the nineties (I don't prefer one over the other) and will be included in the choice few capable of filling the void that will be left by the great directors that emerged from the sixties and seventies once they've moved on... to other things.

Tarantino by far

So many good movies, so little time.
Ang Lee who went on to make Brokeback Mountain (2005)
and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) made some very good movies in the 90's.

Ride with the Devil (1999)
The Ice Storm (1997)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)
The Wedding Banquet (1993)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Wong Kar-Wai, granted, his first movie was released in 1989, but the heart of his career fell in the 90s. In any event, he directed four of the five best films of the decade, in my opinion, (Days of Being Wild, Chungking Express, Fallen Angels and In the Mood For Love), and both Ashes of Time and Happy Together were excellent as well.

Im going to have to go with Aronofsky, Tarantino, and Nolan.

Eh, why not?

Ron Howard.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Mousey350
Eh, why not?

Ron Howard.
Why not? I'll answer that

Ron Howard directed his first film in 1969, and was well into his body of work by the 90s. He had some major success with stuff like Splash and Cocoon in the 80s, and continues to hone his skills today.

"I can't help it..."
I've read Lars von Trier and Wong Kar Wai mentioned a few times.. but, both have released stuff prior to the 90's. While not many of their films from the 80s or earlier were commercial successes, they some still have a lot of artistic merit.

Anyway, My choices:
Larry Clark
Harmony Korine
Lukas Moodysson
Robert Rodriguez
Wes Anderson
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

The People's Republic of Clogher

Takeshi Kitano

Shane Meadows

Originally Posted by Tacitus

Takeshi Kitano

Shane Meadows
Good choices.

To be honest I haven't seen a lot of great directors emerge from the '90s. My choices are Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Danny Boyle and Christopher Nolan.

Originally Posted by Johnners
To be honest I haven't seen a lot of great directors emerge from the '90s. My choices are Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Danny Boyle and Christopher Nolan.
Depending on what it means to "emerge from the 90s," I'd exclude Nolan, as his breakthrough hit, Memento, came out in 2000.

I'd add Fincher to the list, as well, who gave us Se7en (1995), The Game (1997) and Fight Club (1999) during the second-half of the decade alone.