The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

MICHAEL COLLINS 1996 Neil Jordan
Watched @Diehl40 's #25 Michael Collins last night, it was a very good watch! The thing I've noticed about the Irish is that even during extremely tough times they never lose their sense of humor. Excellent historical/biographical war film, added to my top hundred at 98.
+

Actor Stats

Burt Lancaster = 3
Donald Sutherland = 3
Vyacheslav Tikhonov = 3
Ludmila Savelyeva = 3
Sergey Bondarchuk = 3
Yūsuke Kawazu = 3

Henry Fonda = 2
Sean Connery = 2
Robert Ryan = 2
Deborah Kerr = 2
Ernest Borgnine = 2
Lee Marvin = 2
Montgomery Clift = 2
Tatsuya Nakadai = 2
Michiyo Aratama = 2
Roger Livesey = 2
James D'Arcy = 2
Ben Stiller = 2
John Malkovich = 2
David Niven = 2
Tom Hardy = 2
Gregory Peck = 2
Jason Robards = 2
Shōji Yasui = 2
Nick Nolte = 2
Orlando Bloom = 2

The Deer Hunter was my #20.
It's a movie I'm very mixed on. All the scenes in the US work, and you get a strong before and after effects of PTSD and the war. Everything in Vietnam doesn't make a lick of sense - i.e. the war scenes were bad enough in this movie, I nearly left it off of the ballot (also once you learn the original script wasn't a Vietnam movie, but rather a couple of guys going to Vegas and getting involved with an underground Russian Roulette gambling tournament, it's something you can't unsee). Though I was also strongly considering The Best Years of Our Lives for me ballot, and that's purely "life after the war" type of war movie, and well, those coming home scenes for De Niro are powerful, to the point, for that subgenre (how war affects the lives of the soldiers), I decided to go with this one but low. (So I'm saying I like the first hour a lot more than second hour. Kind of surprised to see that people thought it was slow and the weak part of the film)

Ya, same boat here, even though I also love the second half of the film, even if it's like a completely different film.

I sometimes wonder if the promise of Deer Hunter being a war movie is what puts people off the beginning so hard. Like you, the first hour is CLEARLY the strongest part of the whole film. I could have easily taken another hour or drinks and weddings and hunting and arguments over boots. I might rank all of it as the single greatest depictions of friendship in any American film. These men love eachother, but it's also a very complicated mix of emotions they have. It's raw and poetic and full of drama and the notion that it is somehow boring is baffling to me, since their are loads of beloved American domestic dramas that are just as measured in their pacing.

As for how oddly the war elements fit the rest of the film, I think this is true, but that makes it work for me by creating that longing to return to the beginning. But you know this isn't going to happen as soon as we get that hard cut from the streets of America to DeNiro screaming with a flamethrower in the jungle. It's immediately telegraphed that we are in a different world now, and the pacing here is so frenetic that, no, nothing makes any sense. And that trauma that we even feel as audience members, lingers long after DeNiro returns home and just wants to hide from everyone he once felt so close to.

The Deer Hunter is my #23. Love it. It kind of plays out like The Godfather with a wedding and all the surrounding goings-on being the first third, then the next two thirds revealing the violence faced by the protagonists and the change in certain characters because of it. I thought Cimino sort of aped the format of Coppola's classic but then turned it into a classic of his own. Everyone was great in this and I consider it a classic.

I love Braveheart also and consider it one of Mel Gibson's finest films. I don't care how fast and loose it plays with the facts of William Wallace's life. Some films mess with me when they change history, but as I went into this one not knowing anything about Wallace or his effect on Scottish/British history, this worked for me on a purely entertaining level. Great movie.

#4 1917 Forward! #31
#7 The Longest Day Hit the beach! #36
#8 Hacksaw Ridge On point #67
#10 The Hurt Locker Bombs away! #58
#12 Dunkirk Retreat! #47
#15 Patton "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"
#18 The Dirty Dozen #32
#21 Tora! Tora! Tora! In the vanguard #63
#23 The Deer Hunter "Stanley, see this? This is this. This ain't something else. This is this. From now on, you're on your own." #25

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
The Deer Hunter has some great stuff in it, absolutely, but much of it was mundane and just dragged on. I get what the picture was going for, but it just didn't work much for me. Not a bad film by any means, just one I've never had a need to revisit after the three or four times I've seen it.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

#24 #24
193 points, 13 lists
The Battle of Algiers
Director

Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966

Starring

Brahim Hadjadj, Jean Martin, Yacef Saadi, Samia Kerbash

#23 #23
197 points, 13 lists
The Pianist
Director

Roman Polanski, 2002

Starring

Adrien Brody, Thomas Kretschmann, Frank Finlay, Maureen Lipman

HINTS BREAKDOWN

24: The movie was about a revolution.

23: Spongebob literally says the title in that clip.

No points.

Yeah, The Battle of Algiers was one of mine, #4 on my list. Here's what I wrote about it many, many years ago:
Pontecorvo’s documentary-style re-creation of the Algerian struggle for independence from France is most remarkable for its own independence from dogma or righteousness. Neither the guerillas nor the French military are let off the hook for their actions or condemned without regard to context, nor is the audience let off from an honest confrontation with the moral conundrums inherent to violent conflict.
The Pianist was fine, but no vote from me.

Another batch where I've seen both, surprise, surprise! None made my list, though.

The Battle of Algiers is pretty good, but it's not a film that I ever thought of putting on my list. Here's my full review and an excerpt of what I wrote when I saw it a couple of years ago where I talk about its "disconnected" approach:

"This approach limits the emotional connection we can have with any character. Not that it was the goal of the film or that it *needed* it, but I felt it could've been good to have someone more tangible to hold onto. La Pointe is an enigmatic and probably interesting character, but we never get to really explore his way of thinking, or of any character actually. He's more of a blank slate than an open book."
As for The Pianist, I'm a fan but for some reason, I decided not to include films that weren't conflict-driven (like Schindler's List). That said, this would've been high, if I included it. It's also one of my wife's favorites.

Seen: 32/78

My ballot:  

Why not? Here are my updated odds...

1. 100%
2. 100%
3. 100%
4. 100%
5. 100%
6. The Train (#82)
7. Three Kings (#77)
8. 100%
9. 100%
10. 100%
11. Empire of the Sun (#40)
12. 95%
13. 90%
14. 90%
15. 90%
16. Braveheart (#26)
17. Shame (#89)
18. 50%
19. 100%
20. Letters from Iwo Jima (#60)
21. 55%
22. 0%
23. The Dirty Dozen (#32)
24. Black Hawk Down (#55)
25. Wings (#79)

I’ve seen Battle of Algiers but forgot about it completely for this countdown.

I liked The Pianist but I’m surprised to see it so high. I thought people were lukewarm on it.

The Pianist is a movie I forget about existing. I don't know why. It's in that weird space of dramas that were of the type that I liked when I was at the age of when it came out (early 20s) that I often find myself not liking now, but there are some that I do. And in my mind, I have no idea where this one would land.

The Battle of Algiers is one that is loved a lot more than me mostly by people whose tastes in movies I respect enough that I really owe it a rewatch. Why I didn't rewatch it for this countdown, I don't know. I think some of it comes down to how sympathetic (and the degree of a critical eye its showing its protagonists) in such a way there might have been a gap between how I perceived and how it was supposed to be perceived. (Watched it some time on the farther side of the past 13 years).

I had The Pianist @ #12, it possibly contains the most heartbreaking scene I have seen about WW2.

Algiers was also good when I seen it years ago but I didn't think of it for this countdown.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Braveheart is rubbish. It's not just that it has barely a passing acquaintance with historical accuracy, it's that it doesn't even attempt plausibility in any way, from accents to face paint to Mel Gibson shagging the queen of England. Just nonsense from start to finish.

?si=M9wtO5Nh8R1oL3xB

The Deer Hunter was the film I realised I should have voted for but forgot.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#23. The Pianist (2002) is my #3.

Saw it in theater when it came out and one more time on the telly several years later. In addition, I've read the updated Polanski's autobiography when it was released in the 2010's. That added a lot to the whole picture about the historical events. It is a very good and informative book. I recommend it. It is called "Roman by Polanski".
As for the movie, Polanski is a great storyteller. He masterly steps into the otherwise cliche-topic, creating a memorable cinematic work and very watchable.

+
94/100

-----

My Ballot

1. Empire of the Sun (1987) [#40]
3. The Pianist (2002) [#23]
5. Underground (1995) [#43]
6. The Deer Hunter (1978) [#25]
8. Ivan's Childhood (1962) [#56]
14. Enemy at the Gates (2001) [#88]
15. The Hill (1965) [#94]
18. The Hurt Locker (2008) [#58]