The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Haven't seen Cool Hand Luke, but Persona being only #11 is ridiculous.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I saw Cool Hand Luke about two weeks ago and I thought it was a

Speaking of Bergman, I think my crappy review of Seventh Seal is out of date. I'm going to watch it again along with some of Hitchcock's stuff when the 50's list's deadline is close.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Cool Hand Luke is apparently Paul Newman's most-popular film here although I never would have realized that before. It's a terrific movie with several iconic moments and a humongous cast, but I wonder why it means so much to so many while other significant movies of the period have been ignored. Well, maybe I don't wonder that much - I strongly relate to the loner, the man who stands against the system and, at least in movies, can rally others to his side. But the film does show the realistic side of doing such things, at least if one isn't independently wealthy and then he'd probably be for the system. Anyway, politics aside, it's a very entertaining movie.

I started a thread on Persona which should definitely have more traffic if it's this high on the list. I won't copy any of it here, but I will give you a link if you want to add any of your thoughts. I'd love to read some of your feelings and interpretations on this influential and audacious film.

Since I didn't vote for these two, that means I did vote for seven that made the top ten.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Persona was number 22 for me. It is a film I have a lot of appreciation for. Perhaps I will come to enjoy it even more as time passes.

The top 10 will consist of 3 movies I hate, 1 movie I should like more than I do, and the other six were on my list.

Let the night air cool you off
I am the one who gave Persona an 8th place vote, in hindsight I probably should have been a few spots more generous.

My list so far

2. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer [#95]
4. Yojimbo [#17]
7. Breathless [#59]
8. Persona [#11]
9. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg [#36]
10. Le Samouraï [#24]
11. Peeping Tom [#33]
18. Bonnie and Clyde [#45]
19. Night of the Living Dead [#20]
22. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? [#29]
24. The Innocents [#32]
25. The Outrageous Baron Munchausen [1 point]

Top Ten Prediction

1. Psycho
2. 2001
3. Lawrence Of Arabia
4. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
5. Once Upon A Time In The West
6. The Apartment
7. The Graduate
8. Rosemary's Baby
9. Dr. Strangelove
10. Midnigt Cowboy

Let the night air cool you off
Top Ten Prediction

1. Psycho
2. 2001
3. Lawrence Of Arabia
4. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
5. Once Upon A Time In The West
6. The Apartment
7. The Graduate
8. Rosemary's Baby
9. Dr. Strangelove
10. Midnigt Cowboy
Swap 1 & 2 and 6 & 3. That's not really a prediction, just preference.

I am starting to really regret not voting for a couple of those films. There's a director on that list with two films, and I didn't vote for either of them. Both fantastic though.

My prediction for the top ten

1. Psycho
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
4. 2001
5. The Apartment
6. Once Upon a Time in the West
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Midnight Cowboy
9. The Graduate
10. Rosemary's Baby

in this top ten, there are six really great films, one good film, two lame films and one film I have only watched the first half of.

1. 2001
2. Psycho
3. Once upon a time in the west
4. Dr. Strangelove
5. The good, the bad, and the ugly
6. The Graduate
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Rosemary's Baby
9. The Apartment
10. Midnigt Cowboy

Seen: 8/10
List: 6/10

I had both Cool Hand Luke (at #14) and Persona (at #4) on my list, with seven of mine making up the top 10. I think I had five in the top 10 for the 70s list, so I'm becoming ever more mainstream.

My List:

3. A Hard Day’s Night (#53)
4. Persona (#11)
5. Playtime (#31)
7. High and Low (#23)
9. Bonnie and Clyde (#45)
10. The Wild Bunch (#15)
14. Cool Hand Luke (#12)
16. The Hustler (#26)
18. Peeping Tom (#33)
19. Woman in the Dunes (#19)
20. Night of the Living Dead (#20)
21. Andrei Rublev (#55)

18. The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963) [320]

Really funny comedy. While it was intended as a horror movie to me it was just funny and I appreciate it on a mostly sarcastic level: birds attacking humanity. Lol. That's so lame and laughable. But they outnumber us 50 to one, don't they? Well now with population growth and environmental degradation I guess the odds are closer to 10 to one. I think I can beat 10 pigeons, well, at least if I fight'en separately. Also contains some of the worst child acting of all time. Could have been on my list.
Just for curiosity, did you find the Shining funny as well? I did but I didn't find The Birds funny,

I kind of see what you're saying, even though I don't agree in this case. If a surreal film or moment doesn't work for a person it ends up being ridiculously funny to them, if it works it's terrifying. There have been many surreal pieces I found myself cracking up during.
13. To Kill a Mockingbird (Robert Mulligan, 1962) [386]

A bit tad melodramatic. I remember I watched it because I read on a review of Miyazaki's Spirited Away that it was one of the reviewer's favorite movies of all time alongside films such as To Kill a Mockingbird. So I decided to watch it, it was a disappointment. What I learned from that experience is that western movie fans do not really understand Miyazaki. Because their reaction to Miyazaki's anime is completely inconsistent with the actual creator's intentions, an outcome of their environment being culturally unrelated with the cultural environment in which anime springs forth: the fact that some western movie fans are even comparing the symphony of images, music and plot that constitutes Spirited Away with this simplistic melodrama is, well, rather dumb to be perfectly honest.

Sorry guys from posting this huge chunk of text.
I'm interested to hear more detail on this, other than saying the cultures are different. (Probably has something to do with quotes like this)