How much celeb bad behavior are you willing to forgive?

Tools    

Semper Fooey
I don't boycott anybody, but some celebrities I am less interested in and that might be related to their behavior. I was never a big Gibson fan to begin with, and I think at this point his career is pretty much dead. I certainly had no inclination to watch that movie where he has a puppet on his hand.

Polanski is pretty sleazy, but I am not boycotting a great movie like Chinatown, but practically nothing he made since then remotely interests me to watch. Maybe I 've been boycotting him post Chinatown and didn't know it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You're missing out on The Pianist. Also I doubt he sees anything from the sales of his films.

Suspect's Reviews

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I think im extremely tolerant of everyone who isnt an athlete. I find myself genuinely despising certain players due to their personal antics.

You're missing out on The Pianist. Also I doubt he sees anything from the sales of his films.
Actors who get their roles completely cut from films get royalty checks for them years after their release, do you honestly think he's not still getting checks from The Pianist?

It all depends on the contract. Not everyone gets royalty checks.
Ok, we'll just assume that Polanski is an absolute idiot and doesn't want money from his films...

It doesn't change how I feel about him. I'm not about to give the man any of my money. That's just me.

Huh? He gets a fee for directing. All directors do. It's usually the ACTORS who get a piece of the backend and royalties of DVD sales. Not the director. You're not giving him any money.

If you're argument is simply you don't want to support him by buying whatever, then don't buy. I don't get boycotting seeing a movie because of something in the past that even the victim no longer cares about.

Huh? He gets a fee for directing. All directors do. It's usually the ACTORS who get a piece of the backend and royalties of DVD sales. Not the director. You're not giving him any money.

If you're argument is simply you don't want to support him by buying whatever, then don't buy. I don't get boycotting seeing a movie because of something in the past that even the victim no longer cares about.
Hmmm...then explain to me how Cameron made somewhere around 350 million dollars from Avatar. Or explain to me how Spielberg made no up-front money on Schindler's List. Rian Johnson was on the /Film podcast within the last year talking about royalty checks from Brick...and that's his first film! He wasn't even an established director, yet, and he gets royalty checks from the film.

Trust me, any director who knows his worth is getting a back end of each film he/she makes. That's why film companies can report "losses" on profitable films, because the money is split between so many sources.

Besides not wanting to give the man money, I can't imagine watching a Polanski film without what I know about him coloring my opinion of the film. That's the point of why I started this thread.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Maybe you should try to watch (for free) Polanski's version of Macbeth because it's a very personal, very violent reaction to what happened to his wife Sharon Tate and unborn child. It can be very difficult to watch for a parent but it's masterful cinema. Also, if you watched The Pianist then you would have a clearer understanding of what Polanski went through during WWII in Poland. This isn't meant as some form of apology for what he allegedly did with that girl, but Polanski's life and those of just about everyone else cannot be reduced to one discreet incident.

Hmmm...then explain to me how Cameron made somewhere around 350 million dollars from Avatar. Or explain to me how Spielberg made no up-front money on Schindler's List. Rian Johnson was on the /Film podcast within the last year talking about royalty checks from Brick...and that's his first film! He wasn't even an established director, yet, and he gets royalty checks from the film.
Again, all in the contract. If a director is Cameron or Spielberg, obviously they will negotiate a deal for the backend. Why? Cause their films make money. Other directors would rather have an upfront cash settlement. If a director has acclaim, but his films never make money, then why bother getting a back end deal? Polanksi's most successful film made 32 million in theatres, it cost more than that. He is not a box office success, so he would rather get an upfront deal.

Question....would you watch films of people who support him? People who still continue to work with him despite this knowledge? I know they didn't do the act, I'm just wondering.

Again, all in the contract. If a director is Cameron or Spielberg, obviously they will negotiate a deal for the backend. Why? Cause their films make money. Other directors would rather have an upfront cash settlement. If a director has acclaim, but his films never make money, then why bother getting a back end deal? Polanksi's most successful film made 32 million in theatres, it cost more than that. He is not a box office success, so he would rather get an upfront deal.

Question....would you watch films of people who support him? People who still continue to work with him despite this knowledge? I know they didn't do the act, I'm just wondering.
Way to ignore Rian Johnson...

No, I won't boycott people who like him. He's the one that did it. Other's opinions of the man don't affect me, just the same as my opinion doesn't affect how you view his films.

@ mark f I'm going to say to you one of the only things I've ever heard Bill O'Reilly say that I agree with; pointing out someone's wrong doings doesn't justify someone else's wrong doings. Having endured hardships probably should have made Polanski more sympathetic to others and not make him take advantage of a girl who was far too young to make a grown up decision. Even if that's not how it affected him, it's not an excuse for his behavior. There is no excuse for that sort of thing.

Now, if everyone could please stop trying to change my mind about Polanski, because it's not going to happen, can we get back to the questions I asked?

Namely this post:

Wow! I am completely stumped...

When I started a thread about watching films objectively vs. subjectively most of you said they couldn't be watched without subjectivity. When I say that I try to be objective when being critical of a film I get people looking at me like I'm crazy.

And yet, I stand (near) alone on a subject that is very much separating ones emotional response form their critical one! How does this happen? You're all able to separate the artist from the art but not yourselves from the art? Wow!

I guess I'm as weird as people have been telling me all these years. I usually just shrugged it off, now I have to actually question its validity...
And it really does make me curious why you can't all remove yourselves from the art but you can remove the artist from the art. That truly fascinates me!

Also, as I already asked, is there a line that a filmmaker could cross that would make you double think watching their films? Take my example of Leonard Little or something worse (though how you get worse than manslaughter without jumping straight into murder is beyond me) and tell me where you would draw the line. To me, manslaughter/rape is pretty much it.

And remember, I haven't completely boycotted Polanski's work. I just won't give the man money and I can't watch his films with a completely open mind...though some of you are acting as if I've gone to the mans house to kick his puppies or something...yeesh!

Way to ignore Rian Johnson...
I didn't. It's all in the contract.

If I want to see a movie, then I'll see a movie. I saw Jeepers Creepers, Jeepers Creepers 2 and Powder even thought Victor Salva was convicted of molestation of a young boy. Do I like the guy? No. Does he make good movies? Not really. I saw them, so what.

I didn't. It's all in the contract.

If I want to see a movie, then I'll see a movie. I saw Jeepers Creepers, Jeepers Creepers 2 and Powder even thought Victor Salva was convicted of molestation of a young boy. Do I like the guy? No. Does he make good movies? Not really. I saw them, so what.
Hmmm...the really weird thing is you are not me.

Also, as I already asked, is there a line that a filmmaker could cross that would make you double think watching their films
Unless they did something to me or someone I loved, no, I can't think of anything. Even then, I'm not saying that I wouldn't watch a film they directed. Just that I can see that being the only reason. That doesn't mean it won't happen sometime though.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I was thinking about this. I have no problem watching films made by morally suspect people. Doesn't mean I agree with their behaviour. A lot of folks who made a lot of my favorite bits of entertainment were horrible human beings. Peter Sellers, Roman Polanski, Mel Gibson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Woody Allen, James Cameron...all awful people who's films I've enjoyed for years. If I could only watch films by decent, upright citizens...what would I be allowed to watch? Not bloody much. LOL.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

@ mark f I'm going to say to you one of the only things I've ever heard Bill O'Reilly say that I agree with; pointing out someone's wrong doings doesn't justify someone else's wrong doings. Having endured hardships probably should have made Polanski more sympathetic to others and not make him take advantage of a girl who was far too young to make a grown up decision. Even if that's not how it affected him, it's not an excuse for his behavior. There is no excuse for that sort of thing.
Now, if everyone could please stop trying to change my mind about Polanski, because it's not going to happen, can we get back to the questions I asked?[quote]Mark wasn't really saying that film makes him excused at all. In fact he directly said so. Plus it's free and according to you, you just don't want to give him money so what's the problem? I'm not sure why you started the thread if you weren't open to change your mind or felt affected by anyone else's opinions.

Mark wasn't really saying that film makes him excused at all. In fact he directly said so. Plus it's free and according to you, you just don't want to give him money so what's the problem? I'm not sure why you started the thread if you weren't open to change your mind or felt affected by anyone else's opinions.
I started the thread to confirm whether or not I'm the huge freak that I think I am.

Mission accomplished.

Plus rep, but I hope you're being serious.
Actually, wintertriangles admitted that Mel Gibson's behavior alters the way he views his films so I'm only as crazy as he is!