Films that start well and end terribly

Tools    

Have you watched the alternate ending? It is a lot more closer to the main point of the novel than what those stupid test audiences picked.
What a rip off from the book. Really annoying too when will smith went on a chat show and when asked if the film was based on a book or older film (the presenter wasnt sure himself) will smith without a seconds though said older film !!!

What a rip off from the book. Really annoying too when will smith went on a chat show and when asked if the film was based on a book or older film (the presenter wasnt sure himself) will smith without a seconds though said older film !!!
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying there, but let's go with it.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Will smith went on a chat show to promote I am legend.

The presenter asked will smith "is I am legend based on an old film OR an old book?"

Will smith replied without a seconds though "old film"

What doesnt make sense?

Will smith cannot even pay homage to an awesome book that gave him that part. Then they give it a happy hollywood ending as far removed from the origanal ending than you can get.

but now you have my attention
Alien Resurrection, grant it's not as good as the others but I hate films that end with the hint there's going to be another one and then they don't do it. Other examples

Dragonball z
Green Latern
The Last Air Bender

Just to add a film with Tim roth called Funny Games, that ending vexed me.

Will smith went on a chat show to promote I am legend.

The presenter asked will smith "is I am legend based on an old film OR an old book?"

Will smith replied without a seconds though "old film"

What doesnt make sense?

Will smith cannot even pay homage to an awesome book that gave him that part. Then they give it a happy hollywood ending as far removed from the origanal ending than you can get.
Once again, I blame test audiences and the fact that production companies have no backbone. I haven't seen that interview, but I wouldn't blame WIll for that mistake, it was probably a misunderstanding.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I thought of an opposite to this thread.

How about "Runaway Train"? A legendary ending deserving of a much better film.

but now you have my attention
The Happening and the Village got my attention at the start but I thought could have ended alot better.

Delgo, only grossed $700,000 against a $40 million budget

The Happening and the Village got my attention at the start but I thought could have ended alot better.
The Happening, yeah, the concept was cooler than the movie itself.
The Village is awesome as it is.

But I'm swiming against the tide with Shyamalan here, I know.

Utter drek.

The Bourne Legacy...strong start with the opening credits...then it was all down hill from there...

No but really one that comes to mind I've watched recently:

The Place Beyond the Pines - I thought the first half of the movie was relatively neat premise, then just dove off a deep end in the 3rd act. Maybe it was just because it wasn't what I was expecting at all. Just seemed a bit silly to me. Too ambitious I thought.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Insidious.

I think the first half of the film is rather creepy and the story idea felt quite fresh considering it was released when the "found-footage" films were still being churned out off the back of the success of the Paranormal Activity franchise, but towards the end it seemingly turns into a childrens movie with the monster looking like a mix of both Freddy Krueger and the devil from The Powerpuff Girls. I just feel it loses its edge about halfway through and suddenly I can't take the story seriously anymore.

Must be doin sumthin right
The Place Beyond the Pines - I thought the first half of the movie was relatively neat premise, then just dove off a deep end in the 3rd act. Maybe it was just because it wasn't what I was expecting at all. Just seemed a bit silly to me. Too ambitious I thought.
This was spoiled for me before I saw it so I knew the structure of the movie going in and I was still let down by the third part after being knocked out by the first hour or so. I admired it more conceptually than I did in the actual follow through

Three movies come to mind immediately as movies whose endings left a bad taste in my mouth:

TITANIC

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

JOHN TUCKER MUST DIE

Just thought of another movie that deserves mention here...the 1980 comedy Private Benjamin really works up to the point where Judy decides to stay in the army but falls apart after that.

In the Beginning...
The Mist
I share most people's anger over Frank Darabont's ending. Honestly, I can see why it's actually a successful ending, given that it draws out a pretty emotional response from most people. Problem is it's a straight up sucker punch. I doubt I'll watch it again.

The Ring
Pretty good ghost story up until the end. I just don't like surprise "twists" when they're woefully unrealistic and illogical, given the story that's been set up. It ruins the experience for me.

Identity
Similar to the above, this was a pretty decent thriller until the surprise "twist" at the end (when the real "killer" is revealed). Again, terribly illogical and tacked on to serve as a "gotcha!" for the audience. Lazy writing. :/

The Departed
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've written at length on this site about how much I hate the ending. The film is so tense and gritty and real, but the end betrays all that. It's a cartoon. It's silly. It makes no sense.

Films that start well and end terribly:

-Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn part-1
-Green Lantern
-Fantastic Four.