Lilo and Stich

→ in
Tools    

It was an awesome movie!!!!!

Now With Moveable Parts
-------> when one smilie isn't enough.

What a review!!
The amazing revelations that poured forth from your in depth analysis of the film!!

Want to add anything else there, Noddy?

no it was just great......

see this movie and shut up (for people that didnt see it and are complaing about short reviews )

ITS GREAT! THE FUNNIEST DISNEY EVER! BETTER THAN EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Originally posted by mecurdius
see this movie and shut up (for people that didnt see it and are complaing about short reviews )

ITS GREAT! THE FUNNIEST DISNEY EVER! BETTER THAN EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE!

Amen buddy !!!

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
I kinda was hesitant to see the movie, the only reason i got to see it was so i got a parking space when i went to the drive in's to see Scooby Doo. But, the movie was awesome, i laughed so hard to some of the actions in the movie.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

I want to see this film now.

After a few recent failures (Neverland and Atlantis) Disney comes back strong with an animated feature like they've never had before. Lilo & Stitch, is creative, fresh, and definitely has a lot of heart. Although the storyline borrows a lot from the Iron Giant (a non-disney animated film from a few years back) the plot has enough of its own creative nuances to stand on its own. The animation is absolutly beautiful, reminding you how wonderful handdrawn animation can be without the "benefits" of computer technology. Also, the film is set in Hawaii, and although many of the culture peeks are stereotypes, it's still an admirable step towards diversity by Disney.
The real heart of the story is about family and the bond between two sisters trying to put their lives back together after the death of their parents. Meaty subjects, for a disney children's film. However, the script handles it with craft and precision, and there are several moments that really squeeze your heart. This is a film that children might want to see with an adult, becuase there are many touchy issues that children will wonder about. Also, the violence in the film could become an issue for some. Stitch is an alien built to destroy everything, but at the same time he is made out to be funny and likable. Could be misunderstood by some kids.
Overall, Lilo & Stitch has a good heart-warming message, it is filled with laughs, the plight of the older sister is heartfelt and real, it will definitly choke you up a bit. Great Disney movie, the best in years and I hope that more adult oreinted and serious issues are tackled by future animated films and less based on fairy tales and fantasy. Although, Treasure Planet looks damn cool. Bottom line: Go see this film if you haven't already.

PS I would also STRONGLY reccomend renting the Iron Giant, which is in my opinion, possibly the best animated children's film ever.

Okay, call me slow, but I just saw this movie tonight. Just finished watching it in fact.

Now, keeping in mind that I just saw Treasure Planet a few weeks ago, I have to say that Lilo & Stitch just didn't work for me-- neither as a feel-good Disney film, or a worthwhile animated feature in its own right.

Having said this, L&S did have its moments. Not many of them, but it did have them. Mostly they concerned funny things that 676 aka Stitch did or said. Even so, I thought most of the comedy value in this film was physical / slapstick or situational (i.e. timing).....there wasn't a whole lot of thought or wit behind the humor. I'm not saying I expect witty dialogue from a Disney film; just that I felt this film was trying to be funny, and anytime I get the sense that a film is trying, that's usually clear evidence that it's failing.

As for the visual style of the film......I've heard people say that this film has some of the best animation in recent years. Well, I was just recently spoiled by Treasure Planet. I saw L&S on DVD, Treasure Planet in the theatre.....and L&S simply doesn't hold a candle to the more recent film. No, their visuals styles are not remotely similar, but even accounting for that, L&S is just not as impressive in any respect.

As for the message or thematic thrust behind the film: ironically, I felt that both L&S and Treasure Planet spoke to the idea of broken homes, but L&S just talked about it explicitly a lot (I think I heard "a family means nobody gets left behind" at least a half-dozen times) while Treasure Planet just illustrated. L&S told, Treasure Planet showed.......and Treasure Planet was a lot more elegant within its chosen modality, I thought.

Finally, I thought I detected a little bit of Pocahontasitis in this film.....it bothered me how the voice actors' "Hawaiian" accents faded in and out. That didn't strike me as terribly authentic, and when they were obviously present, they seemed overdone.

Bottom line: a few cute moments, but too much forced humor, over-the-top sentimentality, and a meandering plot. Not even pretty visuals could save this one, because it didn't have any. When it comes to Disney films, if you have a choice between seeing this and Treasure Planet, don't waste your money on this one.

My life isn't written very well.
After having watched Disney's "Lilo and Stitch" and Dreamworks "Spirit-Stallion of the Cimarran" in the same week, I have noticed that Disney movies are becoming more of what you'd expect from Dreamworks, and vice-versa.

In "Lilo and Stitch", Disney has abandoned those pop culture references, inserted into the "side-kick" dialogue, for the adults' amusement, and transplanted very profound emotional dilemmas instead. Whereas "Spirit", albeit a wonderful film itself, was at times as saccharinated as a diet cola. Wha' happun?

"Lilo and Stitch" is a well made animated movie that doesn't insult your child's intellegence. Have you noticed that kids are smarter these days (My 4-year-old niece can comb through the internet like she combs through her Barbie's hair)? In fact, your five-year-old is probably going to get the deeper meaning of the jokes inside the film quicker than you will.

But, this film is not about jokes. The emotion of an outcast little girl from a broken home, living on an island, goes way beyond metaphor and strikes you in the heart strings. However, there are some genuine comedic moments too, mostly involving Stitch, an outcast alien whose primary goal in life is to destroy everything he touches; including a VW Beetle. The true heart of the film is when you get the connection between the two main characters:

If Stitch is programed to destroy everything, will he also destroy Lilo's already broken home after she adopts him? Will Lilo ever get the connection that Stitch is more alone than she, and when she grows to love him, realize that people love her too? Heavy stuff for Disney huh?

The animation in this movie combines the traditional hand-drawn technique with the new computer animated generations we're becoming used to. And it is a brilliant blend of old meets new. The sound (DVD edition) is crisp, and those of you with 5.1 will not be disappointed.

So for those of you that can't relate to the content of the film, or have never experienced being an outcast, rent it anyway for the young ones because they will probably get more out of it than you do. And for those of us that have tried to fit in at some point in our life, you will understand the line most often said in the movie, "...nobody gets left behind."

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

It was alright, I guess.

What happened to the Disney that made Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin? Their last great movie was The Lion King, which was 5 or 6 years ago, right?

Alice in Wonderland, greatest Disney movie ever. Though I think I am alone there.

No, not entirely alone. I thought Alice was superb. Although you have to consider the fact that the source material they had to work with was superb. Same goes for Treasure Planet.

Disney seems to be at their best when they are retelling good stories-- it's what they've built their legacy on. But more often than not it seems they really fall down when they try to pastiche together a creative and original story that has the same charm and beauty as one of "the classics".

And don't even mention Toy Story / Monsters Inc.....those stories were written by Pixar.

Originally posted by Sullivan

And don't even mention Toy Story / Monsters Inc.....those stories were written by Pixar.
Yes, Disney still nails a few great movies down every once in a while.

But every movie they put out used to be superb. Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, the list goes on and on.

My life isn't written very well.
Well, "Lilo and Stitch" is one of those "creative and original" (emphasis on "original") stories "pastiched" together that really works for Disney. Besides aren't these movies meant to ultimately entertain kids? I mean they're made for kids really.
We're not talking "Heavy Metal" or "Fritz the Cat" here fella's.

I have not yet seen "Treasure Planet" but most of the reviews I've read say it's trying to be "Star Wars". Is this true? Write a review.

Agreed. It seems like they just up and lost their consistency somewhere between Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dam.

At least now we have companies like Pixar and Dreamworks to give us some more variety and make up for the quality gap left by an apparently-ailing postmodern Disney.

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Well, "Lilo and Stitch" is one of those "creative and original" (emphasis on "original") stories "pastiched" together that really works for Disney. Besides aren't these movies meant to ultimately entertain kids? I mean they're made for kids really.
We're not talking "Heavy Metal" or "Fritz the Cat" here fella's.

I have not yet seen "Treasure Planet" but most of the reviews I've read say it's trying to be "Star Wars". Is this true? Write a review.
You do have a point about the intended audience. For a children's story, I will admit that L&S is a great piece of work. When I evaluate it as an adult, it sucks......but when I put myself in a child's mindframe, it rocks. I just have this problem with evaluating a certain variety of children's films on a level that is appropriate to the intended audience. Maybe my inner child is being stifled.

Treasure Planet as Star Wars? Hardly.....TP is not a galaxy-spanning epic space opera. It's merely a good, solid treasure-hunting yarn with a real heart of gold, and that "merely" accounts for a lot.

I did write a review of it and submitted it........I think it's still being spellchecked

Originally posted by Sullivan
Agreed. It seems like they just up and lost their consistency somewhere between Lion King and The Hunchback of Notre Dam.

At least now we have companies like Pixar and Dreamworks to give us some more variety and make up for the quality gap left by an apparently-ailing postmodern Disney.

Feel the same way. I think Disney forgot that their movies weren't just for kids. Dreamworks and Pixar both realize that it is very possible to entertain kids, teenagers, and adults in one movie.