The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
That entire post was great Golgo 13 .

@FW

I think that enjoying the game despite your criticism of it, says a lot. People that can't say anything bad, or don't have any vices are the ones I trust the least.
Yep, exactly. And as a counterpoint I hope I don't sound like some unhinged cheerleader.

My main gripe about Phantom Pain, and it's an objective one, is the save system. I understand why they went for a checkpoint system and not individual save slots because it'd be far too easy to save-scum your way through but sometimes you die at the end of a mission and have to traverse half the map to get back on track.

golg - Yep, that was my big problem with Ground Zeroes. Peace Walker was a bit iffy in that regard too but, thankfully, Phantom Pain seems to be dealing with things with a bit more class.

That said, Quiet's portrayal is pretty out there and Kojima's big statement about us understanding why she looks the way she does once you know her backstory is, now that I know her backstory, a load of toss.

He's still a massive pervert but thankfully it's not as bad here as with the B&B squad in MGS 4, who he originally wanted to appear naked throughout. One scene in particular with Quiet manages to appear both exploitative and charmingly innocent.

Qui(e)te a feat.

Call me Doberman Dave.

I'm surprised that you weren't a fan of 3, I thought that was arguably the best one. I think what helps it was that besides the main game, I have fond memories of the Ape Escape-themed side missions.

I can understand the first one having aged quite considerably. Did you ever play the remake Twin Snakes for the Gamecube? The cut-scene they made with Gray Fox is quite possibly the best Metal Gear cut-scene ever. Bad-assness times 1000!

Oh and regarding MGS5—just want to say I hope expressing my criticisms didn't make it seem like I wasn't enjoying the game, because I definitely am. It still has the classic Metal Gear substance that I've been a fan of for so many years. I guess I just need a little more time to adapt to the changes this time around.

2 and 4 were also great, by the way.
I've got the HD collection and they've put the Subsistance version of MGS 3 on there. It plays a lot better but I just didn't have the time to play through it properly before 5 came out.

I flat out loved MGS 4 (aka Fan Service: The Game) but think the reason I find 5 so refreshing is that Kojima really couldn't have topped 4's level of melodrama, or even approached it without, to me anyway, getting a bit stale. I played through 4 again for the first time since release only a few weeks ago, once I'd finished Witcher 3.

It's held up really well but is a game I couldn't recommend to anyone who's not already a fan of the series. I got a friend of mine to buy 5 a few days ago who's been telling me for years that he hates MGS.

He's put about 20 hours in and thinks it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Finally, I'd love to try Twin Snakes but never owned a Gamecube. Emulation on PC seems decent, though, so it might be worth seeking out a cheap used copy.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Haha thanks Cheers for all the intriguing posts about it! I think me and this game are gonna get along . The mix of well-oiled and gleefully-clanky aspects promise to be a lot of fun

golg - Yep, that was my big problem with Ground Zeroes. Peace Walker was a bit iffy in that regard too but, thankfully, Phantom Pain seems to be dealing with things with a bit more class.
I was wrong. It seems like an Easter egg but I've just had the whole thing brought up again in excruciating detail.

The horrors of war ... blah blah blah.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I hear ya S-rank, must have fell into that one.

I wish I could articulate through the keys like you do. Your insights carry a lot of water with me. I'm too busy worrying about my poor grammar and writing skills to focus on what I'm saying.

I am save scum, but from the reporting of my gameplay...that can be expected. Whenever I die or get alerted on (guess they didn't get all the bugs out ... ...), I always back out to the title screen and reload.

Life is much better tho. I shaved off some of that mountain of GMP for the rubber bullet machine gun. Very satisfying. What could be worse than being submitted by rubber balls, only to then be sent on a one-way, wedgie ballon ride. Obviously, followed up some crazy as fudge brain-washing. How else does one go from trying to kill me one minute, to being overly appreciative of my 4 piece combo, chokeout, body-slam, the next?

@FW

I think that enjoying the game despite your criticism of it, says a lot. People that can't say anything bad, or don't have any vices are the ones I trust the least.
To be honest it was your post that reminded me to say more positive things about it, because I did find my previous posts more negative than I intended it to be. Thanks!

I've got the HD collection and they've put the Subsistance version of MGS 3 on there. It plays a lot better but I just didn't have the time to play through it properly before 5 came out.

I flat out loved MGS 4 (aka Fan Service: The Game) but think the reason I find 5 so refreshing is that Kojima really couldn't have topped 4's level of melodrama, or even approached it without, to me anyway, getting a bit stale. I played through 4 again for the first time since release only a few weeks ago, once I'd finished Witcher 3.

It's held up really well but is a game I couldn't recommend to anyone who's not already a fan of the series. I got a friend of mine to buy 5 a few days ago who's been telling me for years that he hates MGS.

He's put about 20 hours in and thinks it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Finally, I'd love to try Twin Snakes but never owned a Gamecube. Emulation on PC seems decent, though, so it might be worth seeking out a cheap used copy.
Oh yeah totally agree with MGS 4 melodrama, the ending was insane in that regard.

Also, I really don't know how someone could hate Metal Gear, at least your friend finally saw the light with Phantom Pain!

Oh man, Twin Snakes was amazing, to be honest it just might be my favorite one. It is just the remake of the first game pretty much, but with the upgraded graphics the characters and the cut-scenes are enhanced so much, there's even some brand new cut-scenes that expand the original story like that Gray Fox one, which wasn't in the original game.

I hear ya S-rank, must have fell into that one.
That was my 4th or 5th try on the boss and I'd died on each previous run. The S rank is a total fluke/me realising for the first time what the trick to the battle was. Out of 33 missions I've S ranked about 4.

One more of the myriad facets of the game.

If you have a jeep, you can throw a smoker in it and joy ride through any base unnoticed. Gotta love the absurdity of stuff like this.

Another one is standing on a container before Fultoning it - It immediately exits you from the mission without paying for a chopper or sprinting out of a hot zone.

Fultoning trucks and tanks while they're still occupied is another fun one - You get metal AND manpower.

Cassette tapes also have uses beyond creating a fab 80s mix album but that's going to get spoiler-y unless you've already picked up the particular tapes.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Gah, PES 2016 was 55% off on CDKeys. I couldn't resist! Mother Russia now has my email & mobile number (the latter in a clearly needless confirmation process to get the download key), and I've got a fugly PC port which is about worth Ł18

Played the demo earlier and the actual game is is definitely fun. Mods should fix some of the graphical bluntness, and fill in all the proper team details down the line.

Turn off most of the assists and it dumps some of the ludicrous Hollywood-goal tendencies too and becomes a fun little tactical passer. Feels pretty damn close to controlling a game on the telly. Looking forward to making Spurs ever-so-slightly Mighty

I think I've worked out Phantom Pain's ending.

WARNING: "Spoilers of the Patriots ... but not really" spoilers below
Part was from watching someone else play through the opening and not excusing any oddness as 'Kojima being Kojima' and part from the easter egg conversation with Paz on Mother Base.

If true, it's a doozy but I'm at least 10-15 hours away from finding out for myself.

I'm spitballin here...

There seems to be too much coincidence with that shrapnel in your boy's head. Throw in the fact that it changes, according to how you play.

I don't remember any religious stuff from prior iterations, but this looks like it.

Oh my god the target practice mission on the R and D platform has me so effin frustrated!!! 3 times in a row I failed with only 1 target remaining, I get to the last one with like 1 minute left but for the life of me I can't find it! Then I tried the fourth time and while trying to rush through the beginning I fell off the platform and died. That's when I said screw it and gave up. Now it seems like the last hour was just a big waste of time...

It's just so frustrating because I want to beat it so bad but at the same time I don't want to waste anymore of my limited playing time trying to beat that dumb mission!

Both my attempts at target practice missions have ended same as yours, and one of them was with the help of a walkthrough. Unless there's some unique loot I've not heard about they'll all remain un-done.

The side missions are a reason I prefer Witcher 3 (different genre of game but both are miles ahead in my GOTY stakes) over Phantom Pain. On the face of it the Witcher ones are exactly the same kind of 'get this' 'kill that' side ops that all open world games have but each one has a perfectly crafted and memorable story attached.

The last training op I did was the worst. Couldn't tell you which platform, but the targets are nowhere close to each other and seem to have been placed by a bird that had eaten them a few hours prior.

Talking of birds, Stefanie Joosten ... err ... have you captured any yet? That's the one part of my zoo/ark that I've not bothered about.

I think a solitary crow's in there.

Talking of Stefanie Joosten, she's streaming the game on Twitch which is pretty cool (and she seems a lovely girl) even though she's probably being paid to do so by Konami...

Warning - Apparently Twitch chat is full of people posting major plot spoilers because, well, Twitch chat contains humanity lower than a snake's (see what I did there? ) belly.

Both my attempts at target practice missions have ended same as yours, and one of them was with the help of a walkthrough. Unless there's some unique loot I've not heard about they'll all remain un-done.

The side missions are a reason I prefer Witcher 3 (different genre of game but both are miles ahead in my GOTY stakes) over Phantom Pain. On the face of it the Witcher ones are exactly the same kind of 'get this' 'kill that' side ops that all open world games have but each one has a perfectly crafted and memorable story attached.
Yeah I agree with the Witcher 3 missions, great game but I actually still have yet to beat it. I stopped because, well, Phantom Pain came out. I'm planning on going back and finishing it though once I'm done with PP.

The last training op I did was the worst. Couldn't tell you which platform, but the targets are nowhere close to each other and seem to have been placed by a bird that had eaten them a few hours prior.
Yeah that was definitely the one I was stuck on. It's the only one that is even remotely like that. With the help of a YouTube walkthrough I managed to finally beat it. Not too proud of that but I'm very relieved that I finally finished it. Now I don't have to think about that stupid mission again.

Talking of birds, Stefanie Joosten ... err ... have you captured any yet? That's the one part of my zoo/ark that I've not bothered about.
I always stick em' in my pocket. I guess Boss puts them on his dresser at night with his change and keys.

I spun my wheels for a hour and half on the unlucky dogs side mission. I haven't figured it out...even broke down and used the cardboard box (you're so pathetic denim).