100 Years... 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Thanks!

I must leave now, but I do aim to post this thing tonight. It may be late tonight, but it's a goal.

Anymore beats on what the number one film, or the top ten films are?

I'll take a stab at the top ten...

In no particular order:

The Evil Dead (1981)
The Thing (1982)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers' (1978)
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922)
Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
The Shining (1980)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
The Exorcist (1973)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Halloween (1978)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am looking forward to this list. I don't know about you guys, but I usually find that, on a list like this, the picks from around 30-70 are the most interesting and, often, the ones that I really like.
You really think those from 30-70 are more interesting than those from 130-170?
On a top 100 list? Yes, yes I do.

Again, no order

The Exorcist
The Thing
Dawn of the Dead
Halloween
Psycho
A Nightmare on Elm Street
American Werewolf in London
Bride of Frankenstein
The Fly (Cronenberg)
The Shining

I'm thinking the sci-fi elements may have put some people off including Body Snatchers and do hope that Psycho isn't in there

I don't know how much the earlier posts about what should and shouldn't be included altered anyone's choices, but I'd expect to see Alien (and possibly the sequel) in the top 10, even though I wouldn't like to see it there.

The Exorcist or The Shining should be very very near the top, but that doesn't mean either of them will be.

See the trailer here:

I'm getting curious about the list.... do you still think you'll be posting it tonight sometime Ðèstîñy?
It will be very late, but I don't aim to go to bed until I'm done. I want to finish this part of it. I'm no longer positive on how much of the list I'm posting right away. I just had an idea, while looking at the list. There are too many ties, but I came up with a way to solve that problem. At least I hope it will.

I haven't worked on it yet this evening. That's why it's not done yet. My evening was crap, but oh well . . . ***** happens.

It will be very late, but I don't aim to go to bed until I'm done. I want to finish this part of it. I'm no longer positive on how much of the list I'm posting right away. I just had an idea, while looking at the list. There are too many ties, but I came up with a way to solve that problem. At least I hope it will.

I haven't worked on it yet this evening. That's why it's not done yet. My evening was crap, but oh well . . . ***** happens.

It's no biggie if you don't get it posted tonight 'cause you should take a break once in a while lady...

Re: the genre stuff. I struggled with that, too, but there's really no good definition, to my mind. I'd include Alien, for sure, and I'd include The Silence of the Lambs, even. Heck, if they scare you, why not? I really can't come up with any definition that excludes all non-horror elements without excluding some films that I feel should be, well, included.

Happy New Year from Philly!
To me Horror always implies the supernatural. That's why I don't include slasher/serial killer movies unless they have a supernatural element. Psycho is not on my list. I consider it to be a thriller, not horror.

A fine line, no? I mean, Saw isn't supernatural, but it has to be considered horror. And Psycho absolutely has to be on any horror list, I would think. I put it #1.

I think the main problem is that we're defining these films based on how we react to them, largely. What thrills one person may inspire horror in another. I try to allow for both by including almost anything that actively tries to scare you, though I'll be the first to admit that there really isn't any grouping that doesn't leave some genuinely great, genuinely scary films out.

My life isn't written very well.
I'm sure Psycho will be number 1.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I did not include thrillers like Silence of the Lambs, or sci/fi like Aliens or The Things.

Suspect's Reviews

I find that it's very difficult to separate out sub-genres of horror. If it scares me, it's horror.

If you cut out Silence of the Lambs, then I think you'd also have to leave out many of the Vincent Price/Roger Corman collaborations, and I think by any measure The Pit and the Pendulum is horror. If you don't consider The Thing or Alien as horror films, does that also mean you leave out Frankenstein?

I'm not saying that doing so is wrong; I'm just giving my reasons for including all of the above films in my list.