10,000 B.C.

→ in
Tools    

I get most of the complaints about Roland Emmerich, I do. I guess down deep I'm just a bad judge of film or maybe I'm not smart enough to only like good to great movies. Emmerich's latest foray into the CGI laden special effects movie brings us 10,000 B.C. I have no interest in trying to sway people here, I'll just share a few thoughts and you can either watch it or don't. First off I didn't "love" the movie but I didn't "hate" it either. I did want to like it more and sadly there just wasn't enough good stuff to out weigh the bad. I didn't think The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was good the first time I saw it either. But I did enjoy it a good deal more the second time. I may be just a "bad movie sucker".

I still enjoyed parts of the film, I love a love story no matter how bad the movie is and this flick did have one, sort of. Our Hero with his lovely white teeth spends a large part of the film in pursuit of his bride to be who was captured in a raid by "demons with four legs". If this sounds a little familiar, it is. Apocalypto is basically the same film except I would say that Apocalypto is really quite good and 10,000 B.C. is basically a rip-off.
Why? The little things I guess, like better acting and character development and oh I don't know maybe they could have tried some alternative form of "caveman" language. The outsiders seem to be speaking in a different tongue (with sub-titles) than our friendly little tribe that the film is centered around. And yet they (our tribe) speak perfect English, its a mild complaint and I certainly don't expect 2 plus hours of grunting like we get in Quest For Fire but maybe they could have at least tried it out. I think it would have given the movie its own "feel" if you follow.

Instead we get the CGI treatment and the vague prophecy references that we all know just mean that we are gonna receive a "happy ending" if we just stick with it. And most of the time for me that's fine, I'll watch this again sometime just probably not as often as Apocalypto, it needed more heart and less fluff. So, in closing this one goes on the shelf with Troy instead of next to Braveheart. But that's Ok too, the Sci-Fi channel needs movies too and this baby will be fine on there.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Why? The little things I guess, like better character development
:agrees:

nice to see someone agrees with me

*points down in shameless self-promotion*

I was torn after watching this film today: Did I just think it was okay or did it suck? I am somewhere in between I think. I did not think it was anything other than a popcorn flick before going in, but it was kind of like almost-stale-popcorn, you still eat it and the extra butter covers the flat taste so it works out. Until your stomach grumbles at you later. I would say wait for DVD or even cable, but in saying that I did not hate the movie, will probably watch it again.

Yea i found the plot foundation very similar to Apocolypto. 7thson I'm also in the situation with you. I don't know if it was bad or okay. It was a mediocre film that left me entertained in some areas but lacked a whole lot of...lets just call it substance. There have been some great movies released recently. I wouldn't call this one of them.

I did not think it was anything other than a popcorn flick before going in, but it was kind of like almost-stale-popcorn, you still eat it and the extra butter covers the flat taste so it works out. Until your stomach grumbles at you later.
I'd say that's an excellent analogy if ever I saw one right there.

Glad I read this. I wanted to see it, and I ignored what people were saying, but it seems that I can ignore the bad reviews no longer...

From when i first saw the trailer i thought, 'hey that's Apocalpyto with a load of cgi thrown at it'. Glad i seem to have been right.

well my full thoughts are:

10,000 B.C.

A prehistoric epic that follows a young mammoth hunter's journey through uncharted territory to secure the future of his tribe

Let me start off by saying that yes, this film throws history out the window. With that said, where were these people when they were reviewing 300, or any other caveman movie for that matter? Face it, Hollywood is a buisness, and busineses need to make money, moviees with foreign languages usually get trampled in the box office, therefore with english language = more money.

Now that I have said that, let me comment on the quality of the movie. First off, the script, there was some good dialouge, some just felt like they were trying to be too poetic. The screenwriters also wrote what I am now deeming the 'Golden Compass' effect, they would try to make you say "oh crap, he's gunna kill her, he's lifting his hand, jeez this taking a long time," then BAM a spear goes through them. Also regarding the people's death, I felt like they weren't spread out enough, in the end we see at least 5 main characters die, much like 'The Patriot.'

Now for this movies bread and butter, the CGI, it was probably Mr. Emmerich's best, you can record me by saying that at the Oscars it will come down to this, and the upcoming Iron Man for the win. Although, I must say that there wasn't nearly enough of the animals as I would have liked, they give up most of it in the trailer.

As my second favorite man (in a hetro way) Roland Emmerich's direction, it was poor. He liked to use what I call the 'Rambo' effect, it cut off alot in the action scenes, so all I knew was that birds were coming and alot of screams. As for the camera movement, it was okay, like the rest of the movie, some good, some bad.

The acting in this movie played the cards they were given, sadly. Nothing stood out as good or bad. Even their characters were bad, for as important as Evolet's backstory was, we were given none. We saw her for maybe five minutes when her and D'Leh were about twelve.

Rating: Not enough to recommend it, but I had fun seeing it.
found here: http://www.movieforums.com/community...305#post419305

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanx

after watching I am LEGEND , AND JUST RECENTLY APPOCAOLYPTO , this movie 10,000 bc , was dissapointing , the acting sucked , horrible job , hell the best parts everyone has seen they where on T.V commericials , i can say this, they got me again what a wasted evening , all those special effects what a waste , it was horrible i rank it a 6 , out of ten , now that one movie was much worse . cloverfield oh my god i give it a one , some body should kick that gays ass , well im outta here

after watching I am LEGEND , AND JUST RECENTLY APPOCAOLYPTO , this movie 10,000 bc , was dissapointing , the acting sucked , horrible job , hell the best parts everyone has seen they where on T.V commericials , i can say this, they got me again what a wasted evening , all those special effects what a waste , it was horrible i rank it a 6 , out of ten , now that one movie was much worse . cloverfield oh my god i give it a one , some body should kick that gays ass , well im outta here
What's APPOCAOLYPTO?

Close enough...
I know, I'm just jabbing him, plus him giving Cloverfield a 1 out of 10 I don't like

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hi, rott! I know you ain't (*looks around*) no Nazi dog. How about you share some movies you like with us, but...please...(wait a)...don't...(sec)...bite...my...(try to control)...retractable...(your...)...equip...(self!)...whoa, that was close.

So, welcome and, if possible, let your love shine!

Thanks for the review pussycat May wait for this to come on DVD

I think I will rent this movie one day.
I keep thinking of Planet of the Apes for some reason.
And Raquel Welch too.

Historically 10,000 years ago, is a long time ago.
You know what's weird?
For each of us to be here, we had to have ancestors living 10,000 years ago.
Struggling to survive.

Not good enough to recommend seeing it but but you enjoyed the experience. So I'll see it online or at the matinée.. Probably matinée I want it to be big when i watch it. I feel like in this case size matters

I have just got back from this film. It was really expecting a great film especially with all the hype and the huge budget of the film. However, it was terrible. Less of the budget should have been spent on special effects and more on actual actors. The historical accuracy is non-existant. The film makers seem to think that put dreadlock hair on a load of supermodels makes them tribes people. Even if you are curious i would not recommend seeing this film.