Eddie Murphy?

Tools    

a

No, I think Murphy has lost all of the natural brimming talent that was so clearly on display very early in his career. He's one of those entertainers who was ruined by superstardom. It changed his perspective and sensibility, now he's just going through the motions in crud that doesn't challenge him or the audience in the least. Re-makes of Jerry Lewis flicks, this is what it has come to? Next up is a big screen version of "I Spy" (why?) and then yet another ridiculous re-make, this time of the '50s Sci-Fi staple The Incredible Shrinking Man (to be directed by Keenan Ivory Wayans, so you see how truly Sci-Fi it is going to be).

Bowfinger was the only work of his I've honestly enjoyed at all in well over a decade, and even that pales in comparison to "SNL", 48 Hrs., Trading Places and Beverly Hills Cop. And no, I'm not forgetting about Shrek...though I'd like to. I didn't find Shrek funny in the least bit either, but I know lots of folks love it (guh?!?). But even if I give you both Shrek and Bowfinger, that's still a whole lotta nothing since the '80s and none of it up to par with his best stuff.

I definitely do NOT think Eddie Murphy still has "it".
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Eddie Murphy always has, and always will, bust me up. His role in Shrek was funny, but the film's appeal, IMO, lies elsewhere. He was indeed hilarious in Bowfinger, and as far as I'm concerned, he deserves some sort of special achivement award for the roles he played in The Nutty Professor and its sequel, The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.

I also thought he was solid in Dr. Dolittle, which was, well, everything it wanted to be.

I think he's as funny as ever...he's just doing a different brand of comedy. I think he's capable of the same laughs he used to draw, but has conciously gone in a different direction. I'm very much looking forward to The Adventures of Pluto Nash, too.

"Hey man...don't be puttin' no banana in my tailpipe!"

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Not a big fan of the Eddie Murphy. He was hilarious on SNL, and I did like Bowfinger, but that was more Steve Martin's movie. I just think he's not very funny anymore. I totally despised both of the Nutty Professor movies because the original, starring Jerry Lewis was just so weird that they pale in comparison. No, I'm not crazy or French, but Jerry Lewis in The Nutty Professor was abolutely brilliant. He used the movie to rip on his public persona as a goofy man-boy, and to savage Dean Martin's image as a self centered mysoginist. There is a lot of dark subtext to this seemingly stupid movie, and that's why I didn't like Eddie Murphy's take on it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Well, that's perfectly fair and reasonable if you're comparing the two, but the film isn't meant as a remake per se. It's just taking the concept, and running with it. I don't think of it as a remake...it's not trying to modernize the old flick...it's trying to be its own "thing," and it is, IMO. I found it hilarious.

Back in the day, people told me that The Nutty Professor was a must see, the funniest movie out there. When I finally saw it, it was a massive let down, because I simply didn't find it funny. I haven't even been bothered seeing it's sequel.

And I hated Shrek.
It wasn't funny either. Eddie Murphy talking real fast isn't funny.

Whad'you know?
Raw and Delirious were hilarious ( hehe a rhyme), the latter especially so. Maybe it was the stardom that changed his perspective, but he also seems a whole lot funnier in an unrestricted environment.

He seems to be one of the few guys who can make gratuitous profanity work. Even when he just says motherf*cker really fast, it cracks me up.

Originally posted by Gigolo Joe
He seems to be one of the few guys who can make gratuitous profanity work. Even when he just says motherf*cker really fast, it cracks me up.
Exactly! I have trouble holding back a smile just THINKING about Murphy saying "motherf*cker" all fasted and pissed off. I hate to say it, but some people, like Chris Tucker or Eddie Murphy, can say something kinda funny REALLY quick, and for some reason, it completely busts me up.

His role in Shrek was funny
thats an understatment, he had me laughing in Dr Dolittle and he had me on the floor laughing in The Nutty Professor, Eddie will make people laugh for many years to come in whatever movie he starres in next, sometimes i will go and see a movie because i know he is in it. I just cant wait to see his next big hit (because i know that there will be another one ) Eddie will not stop making people laugh from his movies, until after my grandkids are born.

crazed out movie freak
pike you hit the nail right on the head. eddie lost it a long time a go. just goes to show how a little money can change someone.he just lost his comedic edge and now just drifts through his movies like a drone robot. not even close to being funny anymore.

crazed out movie freak
yeah but i think it's more the name rather then comedic abilities. I mean David Spade is hilarious, but you wouldn't rush to the box office to see his films. Where as Eddie murphy you hear his name and get right over. Just on the sheer fact that it is an Eddie Murphy film.

There's a lot to that. It's the name, and now the family-oriented reputation. Eddie's a bigger star now than he ever was in the old days, and that's a shame.

I thought Shrek was both smart and funny, all the way around. A damn good movie. I'm finding that I dig more on Murphy's latest animated work than I do on his recent live-action stuff, aside from Bowfinger and, strangely enough, Dr. Dolittle II, which was miles and away better than the first--and I'll take Steve Zahn in any incarnation. I laughed at The Nutty Professor, but wouldn't touch the sequel with a ten-foot-pole. I'm curious about Pluto Nash, but it's a rental.

And as long as I have any of his older stuff, I'm still gonna watch it and laugh my a*s off. Maybe he's lost "it," but we've still got "it" on video, thank God.

crazed out movie freak
I agree about the Tom Green thing he sucks. Anywhoyes he established his name as an on the edge comedian. Then when he hits the point where people go to see his movies just because it's him in them he totally changes his style, and thats the shame

Hey...so happy to find a chat about Eddie Murphy's latest work...he has been so great in his comedic performances lately.....Shrek is my favorite so far!! But I really am looking forward to"PLUTO NASH"....I am sure he will be hysterical...and from what I have read about it I think it will just be a fun and entertaining movie that is a good break from all the action and violence going on in all the other summer movies - during my summer vacation I just want to laugh!!!!!

Here are my Eddie Murphy favorites :

Movies -

Showtime
Shrek
Dr. Doolittle 1 & 2
The Nutty Proffesor
The Nutty Proffesor 2 : The Klumps
Bowfinger
Beverly Hills Cop
Beverly Hills Cop 2
48 Hours
Another 48 Hours
Harlem Nights
Coming to America
The Golden Child
Eddie Murphy Raw
Eddie Murphy: Delirious
Trading Places

Misc. -

Saturday Night Live
"Remember the Time" ( his character Pharaoh )
The P.J.s

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the list of what I do not like:

Best Defense
Boomerang
Distinguished Gentlemen
Beverly Hills Cop 3
Vampire in Brooklyn
Metro
Holy Man
Life

crazed out movie freak
Thanks for the lists but now back to the point at hand. Eddie the sellout(kinda)

"Sellout, Lisa, or grown-up?"

Seriously, though--people often change their priorities as they get older and get the kids and the wife. I think at least part of the Eddie Murphy Make-Over was because of that kind of lifestyle change.

crazed out movie freak
I'll agree with you there. Wives can be very persuasive. (not like I got one.)

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
This guy is talented. I just watched Coming to America last night, and he doesn't age. I mean his hair did but the man keeps getting funnier and funnier. Unce, Tice, Fee times a maydy. Oooh, ahh, get in the hot tub, should i get in, is it gonna make me swetahhh?

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS