Westworld

Tools    

My operating theory with the Man in Black is...

WARNING: "Westworld theories" spoilers below
...that he's basically done everything there is to do, so he's kinda messed up (Cenobite-style), and has convinced himself that the "real game" is dismantling the world, or disrupting it, or whatever. Maybe with something more specific in mind, or maybe just out of pure delusion.

My operating theory with the Man in Black is...

...that he's basically done everything there is to do, so he's kinda messed up (Cenobite-style), and has convinced himself that the "real game" is dismantling the world, or disrupting it, or whatever. Maybe with something more specific in mind, or maybe just out of pure delusion.

WARNING: "westworld" spoilers below
I can see that. Especially when you consider the song "Paint it Black", maybe he wants complete control. My theory isn't fleshed out or anything, but it's basically that he's not actually a bad guy. I think we're meant to be thrown off, because he's killing what we associate to be innocent people. I'll admit the scene with him taking Dolores in the barn kind of derails my theory because even though we don't actually see him raping her, what he says could cement that assumption. But for example, when it's mentioned that she's been around for a while and The Man in Black has had multiple run-ins with her, I think he's actually a key element into her changing and starting to "wake up". What if the violence he imposes on the hosts is his way (albeit twisted) of waking them up? Remember it's said that there was a failure 30 some odd years ago and he mentions he's been a regular for 30 years. I really believe he's trying to help them. Given, it's only the first episode, so I could be completely off. Yet I can't shake the feeling that The Man in Black isn't our antagonist.

This reminds me of when he says "it's good to be back". I wonder where he was. Any theories?

Another thing is...

WARNING: "more westworld theories" spoilers below
When he says "I didn't pay to have it easy, I want you to fight" or something similar. What if he means paying by sacrificing something in the previous amusement park. What if he was an older model from the malfunction of 30 years ago ( that he may have caused) and due to the new system he's not seen as a robot, so he can go unharmed. What if he means he wants her to fight in order to prepare her?
Okay, I'll stop now, ha.

Watched the first episode. Solid start it has my interest. I wouldn't say i'm completely hooked yet but i think it has the potential to be great and i'll keep watching.

Welcome to the human race...
Another little detail I noticed is that one of the two bandits from the early scenes is Trevor from GTA V. An interesting choice of that-guy to go with the very videogame vibe of the whole thing.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Another little detail I noticed is that one of the two bandits from the early scenes is Trevor from GTA V. An interesting choice of that-guy to go with the very videogame vibe of the whole thing.
I think he's also in The Walking Dead.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
Average start. Some cheesy swashbuckling action. That English sounding guy (Simon Quarterman?) was doing some spectacular overacting. Horrible character.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I thought the first episode was excellent. One of the best pilots I've seen in a good long while in terms of instantly drawing me in and leaving me wanting more. Just felt and looked like a really classy production with some great performances in there. Lots of moments that worked really well in terms of creepiness and foreboding. And I loved the final image of her swatting the fly given what was said earlier.

I also found it to be strangely sad and affecting at points; Dolores and Teddy being destined for tragedy for example or her father being replaced. Or the old, retro android with his jerky movements zipping himself into a body bag as he went back to sleep

Oh and I know it's greedy given that it's only just started but I'm already wondering if the show will ever visit Medieval World or Roman World at some point, or any other worlds they come up with for that matter

For anyone who already has the Westworld bug and can't wait until its TV airing, the second episode has been made available on HBO Now, HBO Go and HBO on Demand. As a non-US resident I don't know how common any of those are to have but apparently you can get a free month trial of HBO Now by downloading an app or something

HBO has apparently done it as the episode will clash with the second Presidential debate

i havent read through this thread as i havent watched the show yet and didnt want any spoilers as of yet-
however i just watched the trailer and i looks like i have just found myself a new obsession
what an impressive cast i may add.

ive always found evan rachel wood to be so underrated

Yup, watched it last night. I'll wait to talk about it in here until Sunday comes and goes, though.

I'll just say...

The Adventure Starts Here!
For anyone who already has the Westworld bug and can't wait until its TV airing, the second episode has been made available on HBO Now, HBO Go and HBO on Demand. As a non-US resident I don't know how common any of those are to have but apparently you can get a free month trial of HBO Now by downloading an app or something

HBO has apparently done it as the episode will clash with the second Presidential debate
It's not entirely impossible that they'll do this every week. Starz was putting each weekly episode of "Outlander" on their Starz Play app and On Demand at midnight of the night before the weekly broadcast proper. I usually watched the week's episode at midnight Friday night rather than wait till 9:00 on Saturday.

Episode 2 has come and gone. I really liked the pilot ... but this second episode was even more intriguing. Asks more questions than it answers, which is a good thing.

And then I realized the last time I felt this way about a show this early on was ... Lost. That show asked a lot more questions than it answered, too. But I have a feeling this is going to avoid those mistakes because it's clear the writers already know where they're going, and they're going to pace themselves in getting us there.

It's totally working for me so far. I won't say anything more specific until tomorrow.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Are we wrapping stuff in spoiler tags after the second ep has aired?

Anyone think the little kid is young Hopkins?

Much like the words/phrase to put them to sleep, it's clear now the violent delights have violent ends could be a trigger to "awaken" or make the hosts self-aware?

Now that we also have proof of hosts operating outside Westworld, the chances that some people in the lab are also hosts is pretty evident.

Are we wrapping stuff in spoiler tags after the second ep has aired?
I'd say we don't have to, but I'll be careful.

Yup.

Much like the words/phrase to put them to sleep, it's clear now the violent delights have violent ends could be a trigger to "awaken" or make the hosts self-aware?
Yeah, my wife said the same thing the first time the father whispered. It's like a signal. Or a disease, if you prefer, spreading from one to the next.

Now that we also have proof of hosts operating outside Westworld, the chances that some people in the lab are also hosts is pretty evident.
Hmmm, is this reference to the kid? Are we sure that's outside of Westworld, rather than at the edge of it? I assumed it was the latter, but now that you mention it, I'm not sure.

I'm hoping they don't go all "WHO'S A CYLON?" with the people in the lab being hosts. That's been done. A little bit is fine, but it shouldn't become the centerpiece.

Operating theory after that last episode:

...Hopkins is going to start a religion based around him.

Yup. Dressing the kid the same way and giving him a British accent seemed too obvious.

And I think Hopkins is retelling something that happened to him at that age, something he's never gotten over, and is reenacting it, but with possibly better outcomes. Or to prove to himself that there wasn't anything he could do. I dunno. Just seems like Hopkins is scripting *something*.

And no, I didn't think they were outside of Westworld. It's clear Hopkins was still inside Westworld (controlling the snake). As for the Man in Black and the man in the noose, yes, he didn't realize that place was there (for 30 years), so the place is either huge, or it's just changing. I suppose it could be outside of WW proper, but right now I don't think so.

It's already a little fun/creepy that I'm never quite sure who is another guest and who is a host... but I agree with Yoda that I don't want to start having to guess if anybody's part of the Final Five.

The obnoxious young guy writing the new narratives is a bit over the top. And if Hopkins can nix an idea so fast, why would he even *let* this guy get so far along in his narratives (he's already got characters finished and ready to go) before READING it or talking to him. Seriously, wouldn't his grave theme- and philosophy-errors get caught in the editing stage?

Still, though, very intriguing. Unsure why the little girl just spits out stuff about the maze so easily, though. And am curious how the Man in Black knows which hosts to target in order to get information out of them. And how the people behind the scenes know he's allowed to get anything he wants... and yet now he seems to want too much (as far as we know, anyway). Is HE a host? the first rogue host, perhaps, and Hopkins is allowing him to go as far as he can to see where it will lead?