I saw that in a movie, so I had to do it too

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
how many of ya'll have watched a movie that spoke to you in a deep and profound way and then, as a result, you copied something from the experience?

for example, back in college, i watched Reign Over Me and one, cried like a baby, and two, promptly went out and bought a copy of Shadow of the Colossus and downloaded a copy of The River. i hid away from the world for a few weeks playing that game and listening to that album on repeat.

to this day i can neither play that game or album without thinking about that time in my life. and jesus it is so depressing to me.

i still listen to that album a LOT; i don't think i ever would have given it the time of day had it not been for the movie. and i am glad that i did because that album is now in my top five
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I do remember back in the late 80s and early 90s the kids at school all got into skateboarding and eating nothing but pizza because of TMNT... and I remember, even though they were Scottish, they all started talking with Californian stoner accents because of Bill and Ted
--

Personally I got into studying history because of Young Guns.

My fascination with the movie I started studying the war itself, which then lead me into studying the history of government corruption and the effect of media influence on the public's shared consciousness.

Eventually through that, history as a general subject became a thing and then became combined with Jurassic Park's pre-history subjects which lead me to more science-y stuff like the principles of palaeontology, the study of weather phenomenon with meteorology, paleoclimatology, and eventually astrophysics and planetary physics, and the effect of Earth's orbit on the weather through studying the history of Earth's formation and early existence compared to the other planets in our solar system and their respective orbits.

Basically, in a weird way, Young Guns made me an amateur historian and very amateur astrophysicist

When I was a kid I read (and saw) Jurassic Park and then almost immediately sat down and started to write my own version of the same story. I got several pages in and it was a total rip-off. I was like maybe 10.

how many of ya'll have watched a movie that spoke to you in a deep and profound way and then, as a result, you copied something from the experience?

for example, back in college, i watched Reign Over Me and one, cried like a baby, and two, promptly went out and bought a copy of Shadow of the Colossus and downloaded a copy of The River. i hid away from the world for a few weeks playing that game and listening to that album on repeat.

to this day i can neither play that game or album without thinking about that time in my life. and jesus it is so depressing to me.

i still listen to that album a LOT; i don't think i ever would have given it the time of day had it not been for the movie. and i am glad that i did because that album is now in my top five
I always wanted to live in America & I think movies influenced me to do that though I couldn’t be more specific.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
My best friend loved Indiana Jones so much he took archaeology for a year in college. But quickly discovered he was bored and archaeologists don't make much money, so he dropped out.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Oh, that reminds me, my uncle loved Top Gun so much he (allegedly) tried to join the Air Force.

That's where he screwed up - should have joined the Navy.

When I was a kid I read (and saw) Jurassic Park and then almost immediately sat down and started to write my own version of the same story. I got several pages in and it was a total rip-off. I was like maybe 10.
You didn't call it Billy & The Cloneasaurus, did you?

Watched Way of the Dragon. Made a really janky set of nunchucks. Promptly racked myself in the nuts. Am childless to this day.

I did the same with Evil Dead. After a few pages, I scratched the supernatural (and ripped off) elements, and tried to make it more original (something slasher-like, I'd remember). I don't remember if I finished the story or quit after "act I" (I wasn't thinking in such terms, obviously, as I was maybe 9 years old).

Explorers made me want to dream about visions of a city on an alien planet. I pretended to have a dream like that and made drawings like Ethan Hawke's character's drawings. If only I had kept them...

I remember in Weird Science watching how they used computers to hack into the cities power grid on their personal computers and then make a pretty lady.

I didn't really want to hack into anything or even make a pretty lady, but I remember when one of my friends got a Texas Instruments PC, spending many hours typing into the command screen "Please listen to me", in all sorts of different and unconvincing ways, when the computer wouldn't do any of my bidding.