Good star or filmmaker biographies

Tools    

It's always interesting for me to read books about the film industry and I was wondering if there were any recommendations for good biographies or autobiographies. I'm more interested in filmmakers than stars, but any recommendations would be appreciated.
I have to say I've read Bruce Campbell's "if chins could kill" and found it hilarious. Especially his hijinks with the Raimis as a kid and the insight into the shooting of "evil dead". So any other good ones?

It's not something that I've read much but, of the few I have, I'd recommend

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-drugs-and Rock 'n' Roll Generation Changed Hollywood by Peter Biskind

The Kid Stays In The Picture: A Hollywood Life by Robert Evans (Great documentary too)

New Hollywood Cinema: An Introduction by Geoff King

There was also a good book about Samuel Goldwyn, but I can't remember what it was called or who wrote it. Sorry.

Probably the best written bio on a cinema figure I've read is Simon Callow's two part (of a proposed three) on Orson Welles. The first volume covers his childhood up to Citizen Kane and is titled The Road to Xanadu. The second installment, which covers the Kane fallout through his self-imposed artistic exile to Europe in 1947, is titled Hello Americans. Both excellent reads that cut through some of the myth of the man (much of that having been woven by Welles himself, starting as a lad in school) as well as what he actually accomplished on stage, radio and screen.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Some of these I've actually come across and will reconsider with a now more personal recommendation!

Ian Holm's autobiography Acting My Life is very good – he's not somebody I've seen much of outside his performances so it was interesting.

Ray Winstone's Young Winstone is about 70% social history and the rest about his early life and the first stage in his career, so quite uncommon as autobiographies go.

Nice thread!!! I love autobiographies,although im a bit the other way around though-prefer the movie stars

Cool a Sharon Tate fan The only thing I've seen her in is The Valley of the Dolls (1967), have you seen that one? Have you seen her in other films? She didn't make many before being murdered by the Charles Manson cult. I did see her portrayed in a film about the killing.

Yes ive seen most of her movies I know,she was kinda like marilyn,on the verge of getting some serious work to turn her career around and then her life is cut short. although i dont know if she would have been able to follow up on it as roman pretty much controlled her.
Did you like the movie? was it focused on the mansons?

ive had obsession with her for years,but it was only recently that i realised she was only 26 when she died. 2 years younger than me now. which for some reason i find so odd because she seemed so grown up compared to me.
and its only now that im in my 20s that i realise how young 26 actually is...

Errol Flynns behavior went beyond any rock star, athlete, or movie star that has indulged in fame & power. Beyond any! Flynns autobiography "My Wicked, Wicked Ways" was a fluff piece to the point of fiction.

Written by one of Hemmingways best friends, of course it ends on a sad note.