Martin Freeman Reacts to Outrage Over ‘Miller’s Girl’ 31-Year Age Gap

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Where was the controversy when Jennifer Lawrence portrayed a 30 something year old who was payed to seduce a 19 year old in No Hard Feelings?

Where was the controversy when Jennifer Lawrence portrayed a 30 something year old who was payed to seduce a 19 year old in No Hard Feelings?
That was a comedy, though. And some of it was pretty funny!

No Hard Feelings SPOILER:

They did f....
....find true love?

Figures. Netflix gives me something good to watch when my subscription has expired. (It is good though that they let you see & add to your wishlist even though the account has expired. Not every streaming vehicle does this.)

That was a comedy, though. And some of it was pretty funny!
So no matter how grisly the subject matter is (underage sex, e.g.) so long as it’s “funny” it’s okay?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Fiddle-diddle.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

So no matter how grisly the subject matter is (underage sex, e.g.) so long as it’s “funny” it’s okay?
Well, Kubrick's Lolita is considered a classic... so what do you think?

Well, Kubrick's Lolita is considered a classic... so what do you think?
Never made it through the entire movie. Is it a funny movie?

Never made it through the entire movie. Is it a funny movie?
It is an extremely good example of black humor in cinema, in the opinion of many

Even without seeing the film, as long as she is of age and consents, it isn’t anyone’s business about any age gap. I say this as someone who knows more than a few married couples with large age gaps, ranging from 10 years to a couple over 20 years.
One married her college professor after graduation, who was in his mid forties, (which did raise a few eyebrows over his job ethics, but I don’t recall if he was actually ever her teacher in a class or not). Over 20 years later, still married.
Anecdotal, sure, but not irrelevant either.

I agree with you, but I think a movie like May/December kind of highlights that, just because a relationship born out of an unequal power dynamic, and with a large age gap, leads to a lengthy marriage....it doesn't negate all the bad things that can lay beneath.

No, those were good deletions.
I miss all the fun!

As to the subject at hand, I am tired of movies that feature a huge age gap and power dynamic and the ...plot twist... the younger person is actually the instigator and/or villain. Please spare me that nonsense. It is just a titillating fantasy for creeps. There are very few Amy Fishers and a lot more Elizabeth Smarts or Vili Fualaau (Mary Kay Letourneau's "boy"friend.

I miss all the fun!
Both Crumbsroom and FilmBuff had some of their bickering post removed. Just spilling over most likely from the MST3K thread.

As to the subject at hand, I am tired of movies that feature a huge age gap and power dynamic and the ...plot twist... the younger person is actually the instigator and/or villain. Please spare me that nonsense. It is just a titillating fantasy for creeps. There are very few Amy Fishers and a lot more Elizabeth Smarts or Vili Fualaau (Mary Kay Letourneau's "boy"friend.
Mary Kay Letourneau was from my state she was on the news alot here. She ended up being ordered to stop having relations with Vili who was a minor at the time. She violated her parole and seen him again and went to jail. When he was an adult they married. They seemed happy for awhile but ended up divorced. Mainly what I remember was that Mary Kay was very pretty and Vili at the time looked a lot older than one would think.