That Movie You Always Rented on VHS?

Tools    

And though I didn't get my first player and discs until 1991, am I still the only person here in MoFoland who had a library of LaserDiscs? Owned many hundreds of them (still do), and rented hundreds more.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	LD.gif
Views:	704
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	7643  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Once again, you are misinformed. Clue was released theatrically in 1985, many years after VCRs had become commercial, which began in the 1970s, and really exploded and became commonplace in the mainstream in the early 1980s. For trivia sake, the first title commercially produced for home distirbution on VCRs wasn't even in the United States, it was the South Korean movie The Young Teacher in 1976. I believe my family got our first VCR (again, a BetaMax) in late 1981 or early 1982. I'm relatively sure we didn't have to wait three years for titles to rent.

But you were very close with a movie released in 1985.

*1978 magazine advertisement
Seriously stop posting crap on my threads and trying to start an argument. You're a loser, we all get it. I was merely paraphrasing something I heard on a special featurette about Clue. My point was to confirm the previous poster's belief that VHS tapes were at one point $90. I was born in '86 so no I don't know the exact history of VHS tapes and I certainly don't give a crap about some South Korean movie that you only knew about because you live on the internet. I don't search Wikipedia before posting like you just to win a fictional argument, I speak from my personal experiences. Get a life. Go talk to a girl.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't think you really know about how broad the MoFo Family is. We have people in their 60s here. You want to tell them all to get a life? Holden has written and posted humongous critical essays on different directors, genres and other topics and posted them here for anybody who cares to see and enjoy. These are exactly the kind of things you've posted here that you don't expect from this site. I think you need to show us a bit more respect and be less condescending in your overall attitude because this "message board" isn't what you think it is.

While you're at it, maybe you can check out my threads about the films of Alain Resnais, Michael Powell, Frank Capra and Persona. As I said, many people have written many serious publication-worthy "posts" here. We've been doing it for quite a long time too.

I don't think you really know about how broad the MoFo Family is. We have people in their 60s here. You want to tell them all to get a life? Holden has written and posted humongous critical essays on different directors, genres and other topics and posted them here for anybody who cares to see and enjoy. These are exactly the kind of things you've posted here that you don't expect from this site. I think you need to show us a bit more respect and be less condescending in your overall attitude because this "message board" isn't what you think it is.

While you're at it, maybe you can check out my threads about the films of Alain Resnais, Michael Powell, Frank Capra and Persona. As I said, many people have written many serious publication-worthy "posts" here. We've been doing it for quite a long time too.
You're parsing words again, I never said for all of them to get a life. This specific user, no matter how many posts he's made or how "respected" he is here, has been stalking my threads with smart-alec comments. He backs up anything he says with a generic Wikipedia search to sound intelligent and try to put me down. There is no reason for his attacks except that he believes I'm wrong about one unimportant portion of a comment I made. It's a waste of time and prevents real on topic users from posting which is what he's trying to do. He wants to discourage me from participating by being a jerk and make himself look cool on the internet. That is a loser and that kind of person needs to get a life. I just want to talk about movies without smart-alec comments. Everyone move on!

Ernest Goes to Jail and Ernest scared Stupid, Classic

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Back when VHS came out, it cost about $90 (to the public - a little cheaper for video stores) to buy because they were originally intended to be just rentals. It's only when they got massively-produced that the prices fell. I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of stupid things are true.
If memory serves me correctly it was the release of Forrest Gump offering copies for sale @ $15 that slowly turned the tide.

I can remember all to well having to cough up $96 for a replacement copy of Eddie Murphy's Delirious that i inadvertantly left on the front seat and it got cooked in the sun while i was at work one summer.

A days pay back then, that stung.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Seriously stop posting crap on my threads and trying to start an argument. You're a loser, we all get it. I was merely paraphrasing something I heard on a special featurette about Clue. My point was to confirm the previous poster's belief that VHS tapes were at one point $90. I was born in '86 so no I don't know the exact history of VHS tapes and I certainly don't give a crap about some South Korean movie that you only knew about because you live on the internet. I don't search Wikipedia before posting like you just to win a fictional argument, I speak from my personal experiences. Get a life. Go talk to a girl.
Crikey man, take a chill pill already.

If memory serves me correctly it was the release of Forrest Gump offering copies for sale @ $15 that slowly turned the tide.
What? VHS tapes didn't start getting cheaper around the time Forrest Gump came out. I got VHS tapes all the time when I was a kid in the 1980's and they were always $20 max.

By the way, sometimes I feel really bad about giving up most of my old VHS tapes. I had a lot when I was a kid. I see them now on sale for $1.00 (used copies) and I think they all look wonderful... most of them with covers that matched the movie poster (unlike DVDs that often use generic images) but their quality SUCKS... and frankly, I don't know how I was able to grow up with that kind of entertainment. It's surreal now. High definition movies are so amazing and it's weird to think that they weren't always around.

Originally Posted by Dex
I can remember all to well having to cough up $96 for a replacement copy of Eddie Murphy's Delirious that i inadvertantly left on the front seat and it got cooked in the sun while i was at work one summer.

A days pay back then, that stung.
You can get a DVD of it now for $6 or less. You can find it on the internet for free somewhere.

If only you had waited twenty-thirty years.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I bought some VHS tapes for $15 in the mid-1980s, but they were the more popular titles, an example being The Apartment. If you wanted a "rarer" tiitle back then, it could still cost you a lot. I have many tapes from back in the day which still have the original price tags from Warehouse and Video Giant on them with all those ridiculously high prices. I got them pretty cheap though.

it had to be coming to America

And though I didn't get my first player and discs until 1991, am I still the only person here in MoFoland who had a library of LaserDiscs? Owned many hundreds of them (still do), and rented hundreds more.

This may sound a bit weird to you and everybody else here on movieforums, but, when I had the smaller TV that I'd received for my birthday at least 13 years before moving into the place where I presently reside, I used to periodically rent a VCR from the Hollywood Express video store that was in the plaza across the highway from where I lived, hook it up to my TV, and watch a video of West Side Story that a friend of mine had given to me as a present.

All of that ended, however, when my little TV went on the fritz and the Hollywood Express video store nearby where I presently reside moved out of the plaza, and I eventually got a new HD LCD TV, which was much larger, and can't have a VCR attached to it. Oh, well. I make up for it in other ways.

Halloween. Yearly tradition that I watch it on Halloween after treat or treating. I was a weird youth.

You're parsing words again, I never said for all of them to get a life. This specific user, no matter how many posts he's made or how "respected" he is here, has been stalking my threads with smart-alec comments. He backs up anything he says with a generic Wikipedia search to sound intelligent and try to put me down. There is no reason for his attacks except that he believes I'm wrong about one unimportant portion of a comment I made. It's a waste of time and prevents real on topic users from posting which is what he's trying to do. He wants to discourage me from participating by being a jerk and make himself look cool on the internet. That is a loser and that kind of person needs to get a life. I just want to talk about movies without smart-alec comments. Everyone move on!
In other words, you're jealous of people who are more intelligent and knowledgeable than you and insecure about your ignorance. Rather than acting like an overly sensitive drama queen, you should thank the guy for providing historically accurate and insightful information. I learned quite a bit from his post and you probably did so as well, but you just can't stand being corrected.

And there's nothing like some clown telling someone else on the Internet to "get a life" and "go talk to a girl" while you're posting on the Internet, too. Stop projecting your insecurities onto others and if you're really twenty-five, you shouldn't be acting like an immature fifteen-year old.

Goonies every frickin' time, it felt like!

I don't think I rented any film more than once. I've been to the cinema multiple times but chances are if I want to see that film again after seeing it on DVD, i'll just buy it. The only film I rented more than once Clueless, had to get my mum to rent it as I was underage when it was released into the video shop (it was a 12) and I think I only got her to rent it a second time so I could show my mates at school how hot Alicia Silverstone was

Billy Madison. When it first came out.

Holy crap, actually Mortal Kombat (1995) had that one beat! Could've bought 30 copies with all the money we put into renting it.