October Movie-A-Day: Halloween / Horror Movie Club

Tools    

that's what she said...
these are ones listed by some of you members already (too lazy to quote atm):

1. The Fog
2. House on Haunted Hill
3. Universal Monsters (I cheated that's 6 movies not counting the sequels)
4. Dracula (1958 Hammer)
5. The Monster Squad
6. The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
7. Friday the 13th Part 2
8. Terror in the Midnight Sun
9. The Haunting
10. PsychoI'll go along with that, too.

1. The Sentinel (1977)
2. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
3. The Believers (1987)
4. The Changeling (1980)
5. Phenomena (1985)
6. Dolls (1987)
7. Susupiria (1977)
8. Brain Scan (1994)
9. House of the Devil (2009)
10. Phantasm (1979)

1. Let The Right One In
2. REC
3. Drácula (the 1931 spanish version)
4. The Devil's Backbone
5. Frontier[s]
6. Fear[s] Of The Dark
7. Shutter (original Japanese version)
8. Calvaire
9. La Horde
10. Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (since A Nightmare Before Christmas covers both the yuletide & horror theme, I figure why not mention this flick too.....)

and here are mine to add-
1. Grave Encounters
2. Pandorum
3. The Crazies
4. Gothika
5. Insidious
6. Jeepers Creepers
7. The Burrowers
8. Cujo
9. Bats
10. House of 1000 Corpse

( I should add The Reef since I watch it today lol )

Just suggest 10 movies and I guess I'll have to pick the final choices since no one is voting on others picks.

Just finished The Fog. I loved this movie growing up and still love most parts of it but it's easier for me to pick out what I don't like. I do like the build-up to the scares but the scares themselves are cheap (the priest lunging after Janet Leigh's character... why was he there and why didn't he say anything?). The story was lacking in any explanation. No explanation of why everyone assumed fog was deadly, etc. Also kinda goofy how Barbeau could give a street by street account of the fog's progress from her lighthouse so far away. Adrienne Barbeau's voice = Mmmm. Nancy Loomis = Mmmm. By the way, is
Nancy Loomis Kyes too? I still think the first night is the best part of the movie even though I like the creep factor when they go out to the main part of the church and all the ghosts are standing there already. Twice. I remember seeing the remake when it came out and didn't like it but I think I'll try it again. I believe this is one movie that possibly could benefit from a (better) remake. Not that the original should be thrown out, I just like the synopsis and would like to see it made again.

Official Selection Week 1 (October 1-8)
October 1st -
The Fog (1980)
October 2nd - The Haunting (1963)
October 3rd - Salem's Lot
October 4th - Dawn of the Dead (1978)
October 5th - The Brood
October 6th - Suspiria
October 7th - The Invisible Man (or any Universal sequels)
October 8th - Rec. / Paranormal Activity / The Blair Witch Project (Your Choice)

I didn't watch it, but I love The Fog. As with most horror films I love, it's the atmosphere it creates for me that makes me love it so.

I've never thought that the film was scary. In fact, even in the I know it's supposed to be scary but isn't way it failed for me. But I don't, and never have, watched horror films to be scared because they don't scare me, so what I love is the atmosphere. Obviously, the very nature of The Fog helps with this. The fog, the darkness, the use of light and shadow, the framing, the loneliness and isolation, both of the town and Adrienne Barbeau. All of it goes into creating a great atmosphere, IMO.

those list in on my checklist now... thanks for sharing

I've somehow never seen The Fog, definitely going to have to change that soon.

Pirate, I like the concept of the thread but I can't say I really understand what you're trying to suggest. If it was more a Movie Club situation, where we voted (in a poll) on films then had a clear one to watch, then maybe go through the list throughout Halloween, it would work better? One a day is a tough commitment for a lot of people