The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've only seen half of Reservoir Dogs, I really ought to finish it because I liked what I saw. I figured it would be up next, no way it got higher than seventh.

Well, if you had cut out the first two thirds of Reservoir Dogs and joined it with the whole My Neighbor Totoro, then it would be one of my favorite films, I would just have to fast forward until the Totoro part every time I watch it.

I like Reservoir Dogs a lot... good film. Have seen it completely through a few times, have caught parts of it more often....

I just personally feel there are too many better movies for this high on the list. Good movie? Yes... Top tenner? Not for me. I'd have been happier seeing it somewhere between 20th to 15th place.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I don't care for Reservoir Dogs. I think it's ridiculously high. It's the only Tarantino movie I can't get into. There's good reason, I feel, why this movie didn't launch his career, but Pulp Fiction did.

For anyone who can't wait, I'll tell you what the #1 movie is:

WARNING: "#1 Movie of the '90s" spoilers below
Pulp Fiction

I don't care for Reservoir Dogs. I think it's ridiculously high. It's the only Tarantino movie I can't get into. There's good reason, I feel, why this movie didn't launch his career, but Pulp Fiction did.
But it did launch his career. The reason Pulp Fiction was so anticipated was because we'd all seen Reservoir Dogs and loved it. Hell, I seem to remember The Guardian newspaper having Tarantino in the top 10 directors of all time on the strength of Reservoir Dogs alone. I loved the film, but even I thought that was nuts. However, there's no way Dogs didn't launch his career.

Reservoir Dogs is kinetic and driven and, despite borrowing heavily from other films, was groundbreaking and game-changing. Tarantino could still write great dialogue in those days. I don't know which Tarantino movie is his best, but it's one of the three he made in the 90s- Pulp Fiction is the most fun and imaginative, Jackie Brown is the deepest and most rounded, and Reservoir Dogs is the purest and most viscerally thrilling.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Reservoir Dogs is great. #8 on my list, definitely deserves its top ten spot. It was never going top beat Pulp Fiction in this list, but to me it's the better movie. Pulp Fiction is flashier, but I just really, really liked Reservoir Dogs. It's got tension, interesting (if psychotic in some cases) characters, and it doesn't have the tendency to ramble of some (all) of Tarantino's later films. And whoever said it hasn't got cool, you're so wrong.

Titanic isn't on this list because not enough people put it high enough up on their lists, if they included it at all. This really shouldn't come as a surprise. I thought there was a slight possibility it might make the lower end on the list, but it was never going to be high up. It might have been one of the big blockbusters of the 90s, but that's not what people are voting for here. Don't get me wrong, I actually like Titanic. Not in the way I liked it when I was sixteen and actually took it seriously, but I do still have some affection for it and I think the detail that went into it and the underwater scenes especially are impressive. But it still didn't make my final 25. And if you haven't noticed that most people on this forum think Titanic is something to scoff at, where have you been? I know it's hard to believe that people think Titanic is nonsense and yet manage to vote for Braveheart with a straight face, but it's suffered a backlash in recent years of, um, titanic proportions.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I haven't seen Titanic, but strangely I can't imagine it not being a top 100 film. Same with Dances with Wolves. After all Wolves was 72 on the top 100 in 2010, Titanic was 81.

Titanic is a good movie and was a phenomenal success at the time, but I think a lot of people are finding that, in retrospect, it isn't Top 25 material (or, if it is, it's on the low end of 25). Either that or they're like you, younger members who haven't yet seen it.

I'm very sad about the exclusion of Dances With Wolves though. I had it quite high on my list.

I imagine Titanic is missing due to the fact that it wasn't very good. The ship was lavishly presented, the sinking was impressively done, and the rest of it was rubbish, all bad dialogue and acting so wooden that you would have imagined everyone would have easily been able to float.

acting so wooden that you would have imagined everyone would have easily been able to float.
Good one.

I think it's a great film, but it just didn't make my list because there are many other films from the '90s that I like a lot more.

Reservoir Dogs is easily my favourite Tarantino film. I had it at 12 on my list and i think it's the 12th from my list.

My final prediction

1.Pulp Fiction
2.Goodfellas
3.The Big Lebowski
4.Fight Club
5.Shawshank Redemption
6.Se7en

I am kind of hoping The Big Lebowski pulls of an upset and manages to win, I am actually starting to think it has more chance of second spot than Goodfellas, but I am probably talking rubbish