2010 Oscar Nominations

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
6/10 for Best Picture were on my top ten of the year.

Happy to see District 9 get some recognition.

As for Streep, her nominations, in my opinion, prove to me why the Lead Actress category is always lacking.

Suspect's Reviews

Seriously? Not a single nod for The Road?
I think The Road disapointed a lot of people. Let's face it, they've extended the Best Picture category to include 'audience friendly' nominations and it still didn't appear.

I agree; I think all four of the acting categories have heavy, heavy favorites; Bullock, Bridges, Mo'Nique (I can't believe I have to type her name that way...), and Waltz.
I agree completely, Yoda.

Is it fair for Avatar to be nominated in the category of best picture? Shouldn't films that are mostly animated be limited to Best Animated Feature Film?
I think that's a good point, GOM. Though its exclusion from the Best Animated Feature category obviously indicates how the Academy thinks of it. It does raise the question of what should be considered an animated feature and where the distinction lies?

Also, that Sam Rockwell was not nominated for Moon or Duncan Jones for that matter says it all. The Oscars are all hype. It's all about who has their money invested.
Didn't we all already know that, though. Politics and money play a far greater role than anything else.

And, although I forgot to quote it here, I agree with TUS about the reason that Streep gets nominated so many times, too. Julia & Julia only has one nomination and that's Streep's.

So, overall, I agree with Pyro when he said it's a pretty weak year. The problem is that, for me at least, there's been a few weak years this decade.

John Ford rocks!!!
No Watchman even in tech areas?! Grrr. I am glad to see Bridges, Bullock, Mo'nique nominated. She is probably a nice sweet person and so she deserves any success she gets. District 9 being nominated kind of make up for the Watchman snub. Watchman WTH?! Even the Road snubbed?! Huh? :0

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Before you start singling out the Oscars again for deserving bashing, they pretty much followed all the guilds and the BAFTA noms, so let's spread the crying around.

Also, Up is nominated Best Picture by the Oscars and rightly so since it's probably the best picture Ive seen released in 2009. I've always hated the ghettoization of animated films, especially since some of the most-creative and wittiest filmmakers ply their art and craft making them.

I am so sick and tired of always seeing Meryl Streep nominated.

What is it about her that really drives everyone wild? Sure, she's done a few good movies. I haven't seen Julie & Julia yet, or It's Complicated, but everytime I see that woman in a movie now, I just think, there's Meryl Streep again!
I know you're mostly just trying to stir things up Sexy, but c'mon man. She's done a few good movies? How many of her films have you seen?

And no matter what it is, she gets nominated. It feels like it's mandatory to nominate her. I hope this is the last time we get another Meryl Streep nomination. Nothing against the woman, I just cannot understand it. It is like some fetish by always having her nominated -- too many people must see her as a dominatrix figure or something, 'cause she's always dominating the awards!
Well, I guess you have a point but here's some food for thought. She may very well be the most nominated actress of all time (I may even look that up to be sure) but, you know what that also makes her? One of the biggest losers of all time too. She's been passed over for awards for decades. Decades! Longer than you've been alive even. So yeah, she's really good at her profession and I think she should keep getting all the attention she deserves. In fact, I'd really love it if she'd stop getting passed over so many times because she is so good. Which is what happens more often than not.

Does anyone really give any of the actresses nominated with Sandra Bullock a chance? I think this is her 'Julia Roberts' year. In other words, this is the one time they can give her an Oscar for all the money she's made for Hollywood over the years.
I do, I think its nice she got nominated but I'll be prety surprised if she wins. I think its between Gabby Sidibe and Carey Mulligan. I do need to see Helen Mirren's performance to be sure but yeah. Bullock got her Golden Globe and that's cool but it wasn't Oscar worthy. I think she may have only gotten nominated because of that win and that's fine too.

Seriously? Not a single nod for The Road?
I know you really loved that flick Johnny Mc but it truly was pretty average. I wonder how well it will hold up for you on repeated viewings.

Is it fair for Avatar to be nominated in the category of best picture?
As Holden already mentioned awhile back in the shoutbox, it's actually very common for the Best Picture Drama winner at the Golden Globes to also be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, especially given that there are ten this year. So, is it fair. Yes and there's a precedence that goes back many many years. So it is what it is.

Also, that Sam Rockwell was not nominated for Moon or Duncan Jones for that matter says it all. The Oscars are all hype. It's all about who has their money invested.
It's funny that now that the nominations are out a bunch of folks are all upset about this. I haven't seen that many folks here, or otherwise talking about what a great film this is. I liked it. But it wasn't a great movie, nor was Sam Rockwell brilliant, he did a fine job but it wasn't that great.

But this decade has only just started....
That's true. I should've put over the last decade. That said, this one hasn't started out too well so it may turn out to be true in 9 years time.

You ready? You look ready.
I know you really loved that flick Johnny Mc but it truly was pretty average. I wonder how well it will hold up for you on repeated viewings.
We will see when it hits DVD, but I foresee it holding up very well. I've held off on adding it to my top ten until I can see it again. But the fact that it didn't get a single nod in any category is just...crap. Normally, I'm never able to make a judgment on the adapted screenplay as I don't read the books...but The Road was a fantastic adaption.

I'm sticking by my guns on this one. The Road was definitely one of the top films of 2009, and I honestly don't see what's "average" about it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Well, that's cool daddy-o, but how many of these other flicks have you seen? I think the majority of the movies up for awards are very deserving.

I know a lot of folks are going to bitch about Avatar and perhaps its justified. I don't know. I mean, I spent a lot of time complaining about The Dark Knight last year (and I still say it was the best film from last year by the way) but it didn't even get nominated! So what do I know?

You ready? You look ready.
Well, that's cool daddy-o, but how many of these other flicks have you seen? I think the majority of the movies up for awards are very deserving.

I know a lot of folks are going to bitch about Avatar and perhaps its justified. I don't know. I mean, I spent a lot of time complaining about The Dark Knight last year (and I still say it was the best film from last year by the way) but it didn't even get nominated! So what do I know?
I've seen a fair number of the nominated films this year. The ones I haven't were ones that either didn't show where I live, didn't interest me (The Blind Side being the only one that comes to mind), or I was strapped for cash and had to pick and choose what to see (big hindrance this year).

I'm not saying The Road should sweep the Oscars and win bunches of awards, as I wouldn't give it Best Picture myself (favorite, but not best). I just can't dig the fact that out of all the possible categories it could have been nominated for...it wasn't. I dunno, maybe The Road sucked arse and I just couldn't see it.

Well, maybe Avatar is only a 85% animated movie. From my POV this is not film. It is animation.

I think Moon is one of the best films I have seen in last ten years; both in film craft and in acting. But when your movie only cost $5 million to produce, is makes others look bad, so they dis you.

I am really kind of curious why Avatar is nominated. I guess how much your spend on you FX determines how good a movie is?

The story, acting, and directing for District 9 was complete trash. That movie was well produced, aside from that it sucked. Weta rocks, you must admit. The movie was garbage. Nominated for several Oscars. Go figure.

I think Moon is one of the best films I have seen in last ten years; both in film craft and in acting. But when your movie only cost $5 million to produce, is makes others look bad, so they dis you.
Well, like I said, I liked it too. And I was under selling it a little. It made a bigger impression on me when I tabbed about it a few months ago. I think I'd still give it a solid
, which means its quite good. Is it really getting dissed simply because it isn't getting nominated for an Oscar though? It was up for awards in the London Film Critics awards I believe, along with several other very good to great films so I don't think its gone completely unnoticed.

I am really kind of curious why Avatar is nominated. I guess how much your spend on you FX determines how good a movie is?
Like I said above, it was nominated because it won Best Picture Drama at the Golden Globes. It was also a very entertaining film. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

The story, acting, and directing for District 9 was complete trash. That movie was well produced, aside from that it sucked. Weta rocks, you must admit. The movie was garbage. Nominated for several Oscars. Go figure.
Completely disagree. Great story. Very interesting film and I hope there's more sci-fi movies like it in the future. I can't understand how you can think Moon is so brilliant and not also think District 9 is cut from similar cloth.

I thought Disrict 9 had great direction. I loved the story and the cast. I really enjoyed it.Its Much different then the norm for sci-fi. Thumbs Up
I didn't like Avatar at all but I can see why it was nominated it won the Golden Globe and its Hollywood.

Interesting, not sure on the ten Best Picture noms yet. Personally I like A Serious Man the most but it ain't winning so I'm pulling for The Hurt Locker. I'll post my choices and predictions here in a bit, still have a few flicks to watch. Haven't even seen any of the Best Actress films.

Others should share as well. Or maybe someone can start a thread where everyone posts their predictions (not favourites), and the winner gets...I don't know? Bragging rights? Rep from everyone else participating? A cash prize from Yoda? I would think that if you were to participate then you would want to wait until as close to the awards as possible before you post your selections, as editing a post should be grounds for disqualification.

Am I just talking to myself, or are others down with something like this? Might add a little bit more excitement to the annual Mofo Oscar Live Chat...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Oh yeah, definitely Mr. Lime. Holds usually starts up a bunch of threads so we can get our prediction on. I imagine he will when he gets the time. He's a bit of an Oscar freak. As you can see, I think he started this thread like, two seconds after the nominatons were announced. I kinda like 'em too.

But if for some reason he doesn't, I'm sure we'll get something going.