Oscar vs Pixar

Tools    

1995 - I'm not a fan of either, but I definitely think Toy Story was the better film.

1998 - Again, not a fan of either and I consider A Bug's Life the weakest Pixar full-length feature. On the other hand, I believe Shakespeare In Love to be the worst Best Picture Winner of those I have seen. So I guess I'll go with A Bug's Life, but it's definitely not an enthusiastic vote.

1999 - While I don't think American Beauty is quite the masterpiece that others do, I felt it was a pretty strong movie and certainly more deserving of the win than the first of Pixar's sequels.

2001 - I quite enjoyed both movies, but I think Monster's Inc had a more original premise and is a much more fun watch than A Beautiful Mind.

2003 - There's no contest here. I hated Lord of the Rings. Finding Nemo FTW.

2004 - I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, but that's by choice. I don't care about boxing, I don't like Hillary Swank, and the only Clint Eastwood movie I've ever liked was A Perfect World. So it would come as an utter shock if I were to watch the movie and actually like it. So as unfair as it may be, I'm going to vote for The Incredibles.

2006 - There's no contest here. Unlike a lot of other people, I actually really love Cars. However, The Departed is a truly fantastic film. I went into it fully expecting to hate it and instead was completely blown away by it. I can't recommend it enough.

2007 - Another non-contest. I hate No Country For Old Men. I couldn't connect with a single character and the ending just irritated me. On the other hand, Ratatouille is by far my favorite Pixar film (though I don't actually consider it their best film, for the record). The vivid colors and attention to detail are breathtaking, the characters are memorable and engaging (even the villian was endearing), and the rats were adorable.

2008 - I haven't actually seen Slumdog Millionaire, but from what I know about it I doubt I'd like it if I watched it, but mainly that's just my aversion to most live-action films that can be described as "heart-warming." Wall E on the other hand was endearing and beautiful to look at.

2009 - I haven't seen The Hurt Locker, but it's a rare occasion that I actually enjoy a war movie so it's one that I've intentionally avoided. Up, on other hand, is in my opinion the greatest Pixar movie ever made. The first few minutes - that love story - are absolute perfection. I don't think I've ever been so moved so quickly in any movie I've ever seen. And the rest of it, too, was an incredibly well made action/adventure.

There wasn't a single animated film on that list I'd sooner watch than its live-action competitor, excepting the overrated Slumdog. Most of them (the animated films) were mediocre even when not directly compared to those live-action films, but I think most american animation is "meh" anyhow.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I've never got that into Pixar. I can appreciate the quality of the animation but don't have as strong a feeling about their films as I do about Disney (anything pre-Mulan).

I do really like A Bug's Life though.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Great question!! Here are my opinions

1995 Braveheart vs Toy Story: Both are great movies and both are filled with exceptional story telling and action but Braveheart just takes it by a tiny margin. An epic movie is every sense of the word.

2001 A Beautiful Mind vs Monsters, Inc.: Monsters Inc. gets a lot of love but I was never a fan. 'Mind is a good movie that didn't really deserve an Oscar but it's better than Inc.

2003 The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King vs Finding Nemo: the Two Towers is still my favourite LOTR movie but Return has some of the best battle scenes ever committed to film. Finding Nemo had heart and was Pixar's attempt at telling us stories which involved loss and heart break (matured with Up) but it can't take the crown from the King.

2006 The Departed vs Cars: Cars was a wreck. Barely entertaining, whereas I've always thought of The Departed as Scorsese's best movie since Goodfellas.

2007 No Country For Old Men vs Ratatouille: Absolutely loved the bonkers Ratatouille but No Country was such a surprise success for me that I've gota vote for it. I saw trailers and just did not expect the movie to be as good as it turned out to be.

2008 Slumdog Millionaire vs WALL-E: The latter part of the last decade saw Pixar "grow up" and really start taking risks. Wall-E is a speechless robot with the movie being silent for the best part of 45 minutes. And yet, the emotional connection felt with such a character was mesmerising while Slumdog Millionaire is a bit of feelgood throwaway fun.

2009 The Hurt Locker vs Up: I liked The Hurt Locker but I loved Up. There are no words for me to describe the beauty of such a movie. It's better than a large chunk of live action movies which I've seen in recent years.

1995 - Braveheart vs Toy Story

Both are good films but I always think that Braveheart is slightly overrated by some, Toy Story had the bigger impact on me and will always remain a part of my childhood.

1998 - Shakespeare in Love vs A Bug's Life

Haven't seen Shakespeare in Love, A Bug's Life is a decent film but one of my least favourite from Pixar.

1999 - American Beauty vs Toy Story 2

I really enjoyed both films when I first saw them, both I think are great although I like American Beauty a lot less now then I used to where as Toy Story 2 is possibly my favourite childhood film and in my opinion the best of the TS trilogy.

2001 - A Beautiful Mind vs Monsters, Inc.

Not seen A Beautiful Mind but Monsters, Inc. is great

2003 The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King vs Finding Nemo

Tough one this, I think Finding Nemo is a great film that has kept up over several viewings but the LOTR are in a class of their own and I think all three are brilliant, particularly the last.

2004 - Million Dollar Baby vs The Incredibles

Despite being a huge Eastwood fan I've never seen Million Dollar Baby, The Incredibles I thought was great and it has actually improved upon multiple viewings, really love the comic book/superhero style, want to watch it again now.

2006 - The Departed vs Cars

This is pretty much a no contest isn't it? I don't hate Cars like some people but compared to the depth and effort put into other films this is a weak attempt by Pixar that was made mainly to please children, The Departed is great enjoyable fun.

2007 - No Country For Old Men vs Ratatouille

No Country For Old Men I think is a brilliant film, one of my favourite of the 21st century. Ratatouille I think is a great film too, but I've only really seen it once, need to watch it again.

2008 - Slumdog Millionaire vs WALL-E

I feel liking voting WALL-E here but that would perhaps be a bit unfair, I've only seen bits and bobs of Slumdog Millionaire and whilst it's a decent enjoyable film it's not Oscar winning material I don't think, also WALL-E is my favourite Disney film.

2009 - The Hurt Locker vs Up

Only seen Up and it's my second favourite Pixar film, really need to see The Hurt Locker.

1995 - Braveheart vs Toy Story

I don't see what people like in Braveheart. Could have been really good if it wasn't so one dimensional.

1998 - Shakespeare in Love vs A Bug's Life

I don't particularly love A Bug's Life but I'd never want to see the former film again. A good date movie I suppose but I guess not theatrical enough for my liking, especially compared to Rosencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead, the writer's other Shakespeare movie.

1999 - American Beauty vs Toy Story 2

I like TS 2 more than the first but I surely do like American Beauty. Reminds me of my parents, which is kinda ****ed up.

2001 - A Beautiful Mind vs Monsters, Inc.

I don't really remember either of these well...hmmm

Could these be any more different? The disparity resembles watching Salo then reading Everyone Poops. It's a tie!

2004 - Million Dollar Baby vs The Incredibles

The Incredibles is pretty underrated, one of my favorites by Pixar. Million Dollar Baby is another Eastwood pseudo-serious exercise.

2006 - The Departed vs Cars

Yeah, that's how much I don't like The Departed.

2007 - No Country For Old Men vs Ratatouille

Ratatouille had a point. Plus the animation was insanely good.

2008 - Slumdog Millionaire vs WALL-E

I don't have much resentment towards the former like a lot of people do, which I can't really understand, it's a good enough movie. Wall-E is just immeasurably better in every way.

2009 - The Hurt Locker vs Up

Should read another run of the mill war film vs. one of the most emotionally complex animations ever made.

1995 Braveheart vs Toy Story
1998 Shakespeare in Love vs A Bug's Life
1999 American Beauty vs Toy Story 2
2001 A Beautiful Mind vs Monsters, Inc.
2004 Million Dollar Baby vs The Incredibles
2006 The Departed vs Cars
2007 No Country For Old Men vs Ratatouille - Difficult choice :/
2008 Slumdog Millionaire vs WALL-E
2009 The Hurt Locker vs Up

There wasn't a single animated film on that list I'd sooner watch than its live-action competitor, excepting the overrated Slumdog. Most of them (the animated films) were mediocre even when not directly compared to those live-action films, but I think most american animation is "meh" anyhow.
While for me Wall-E, Up and Ratatoille are not mediocre (but excellent movies) I agree that they are "meh" in the sense of lacking a visceral levels of drama and/or aggression.

Pixar always plays in more-or-less safe territory and is rather afraid to greatly innovate and transcend the traditional boundaries of US animation set by Disney in the 1940's and 1950's, due to commercial reasons: their movies cost around 150 million dollars so they need to make around 400-500 million at the box office to break even.

They would never have the guts to make a movie like Grave of the Fireflies, being afraid of bombing on the box office and traumatizing children, staining their reputation as producers of family friendly material, etc. So they never really try to make a truly serious and powerful movie.

I think it would be very hard for mainstream US animation to ever grow up outside of their genre guetto considering that the most talented studio in the country is perfectly locked-in the genre guetto as well as Dreamworks. Though, given the evolution of CGI effects, the tendency is for live action movies become more and more animated. Avatar is pretty much 80-90% animation already.