Posting Proposal

Tools    

Due to the recent influx (or so it seems) of spammers and those one time posters who post a thread asking some stupid question I have an idea. Well, actually it's not my idea, I stole it from another board I am at. What if there had to be a number of posts for a newbie before they could post a new thread? Nothing drastic, but like 10 or 15. Then instead of getting annoying threads that are often very vague and trivial, there could be a thread specifically for those movie questions that could be pinned at the top of the General Movie Discussion section. Just an idea, but does it seem reasonable or am I just being irritable and annoyed:?
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Arresting your development
That is a good idea.

Only I wouldn't be able to see Holden give the right answer to the question and then watch him tell the n00b to go screw him/herself in a Holden kind of way.

Plus I think Yoda needs the lightsaber practice.

But I think it's a very good idea.

That's a pretty good idea. Now, it would lessen the site's appeal for people who have a question about a movie or a song, but then again, getting rid of those threads would certainly better for the rest of the discussions going on.

Anyone else feel like weighing in? I think this might be something worth doing, but could use a few more opinions.

Sounds like a good idea and it might even help cut down on some of the duplicate threads as well… but what about a sub forum where newbies/one-timers could ask their movie/song questions... (so Holden doesn't get rusty… )

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
but what about a sub forum where newbies/one-timers could ask their movie/song questions... (so Holden doesn't get rusty… )
Yeah!

When I read that, there was a beautiful musical hum in my head...honest.

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Only I wouldn't be able to see Holden give the right answer to the question and then watch him tell the n00b to go screw him/herself in a Holden kind of way.

Otherwise, it's a good idea.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I think it's a bad idea. I think it is retarded when a forum limits when a person can post. It turns it into a group of elitists, which is bull****. I needed to find an answer to a question yesterday and I knew a bunch of people at a certain forum would know what it was, but you had to be a registered member for 5 days. Screw that crap.

It doesn't take much effort to delete/ignore the problematic threads anyway and it reduces the amount of members who may only come to ask a question and leave and there really isn't anything wrong with that, in my mind.

Originally Posted by OG-
I think it's a bad idea. I think it is retarded when a forum limits when a person can post. It turns it into a group of elitists, which is bull****. I needed to find an answer to a question yesterday and I knew a bunch of people at a certain forum would know what it was, but you had to be a registered member for 5 days. Screw that crap.

It doesn't take much effort to delete/ignore the problematic threads anyway and it reduces the amount of members who may only come to ask a question and leave and there really isn't anything wrong with that, in my mind.

You take that back!

Just kidding... *running away*

OG-
you're so afraid your rights are being infringed apon...
it's endearing.

Let's not try to make this a political thing or I'm going to go have to stomp wildly on some babies.

It would basically discourage new involvement in the site. Hell, they couldn't even start their own introduction thread with that logic.

Originally Posted by OG-
Let's not try to make this a political thing or I'm going to go have to stomp wildly on some babies.
It was a compliment to your angst, not an invitation to turn this thread into a political hoopla. You know me better than that. pft.

One of these days dem babies are gonna' stomp back and yell, "Boo-yahhh!"

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I think it's a good idea. I don't think we really need newbies who are only here to post one question anyway. If they can't Google, who needs 'em? (I mainly said that to up OG-'s blood pressure.) It would slow down the sign-up rate, and if there are repercussions with that, that might be a consideration. And I like the sticky idea, and think GD is the best place, so that it is easily seen by the newbs.

It would also progressively reduce the traffic to the site, which will lower Chris' revenue from advertising. Now I'm sure it won't lower it drastically, but even in that scenario I don't see how it outways one of the moderators clicking a button once a day.

If you want to get rid of those posts without moderator intervention, maybe you (Yoda) could tweak it so that if say 5 people report the same post, it autmoatically gets deleted. That would make it easier for people to have a say in what gets deleted and encourage more poster involvement in the actual maintence of the site.

I only get a notification of bad threads maybe once or twice a month and half the time they come from Holden, so it seems to me like the majority of people are against the noobs in theory, but not in practice and such a solution of limiting when people can post is a scapegoat to a problem that doesn't even really exist.