The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Didn't know that. Makes sense... though I sometimes am sad that the Cyan/Obduction folks never seem to make it on lists I see of upcoming game releases. Or, at least, sites that are listing upcoming releases they're *excited* about. Apparently I'm the only person excited about it... and maybe you and your brother.

Still... exciting to see they've hit that point finally!

Hey, I am into Hearthstone now and I wanted to know if there is someone who would like to have some duels, I don't promise to play good as I barely have cards but yeah, I would love to play against a MoFo. Also I am buying a custom PC so I will need your recommendations for games Mofos!!

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Somebody beat the Witness in less than a half-hour. How hard is that to believe?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Not that hard. Combine a photographic memory for puzzles (or really just a photoset of their solutions in order) with a good route and it seems entirely possible. I don't think it means anything to be able to do that, because you're basically doing the least interesting part of the game. Some speed runs are interesting, this one is very boring.

Also, I've now completed all of the known panels in the game (meaning I have as high a total count as is known to exist)

Yeah, the fact that you can technically access high-level areas early on is part of the game's brilliance: the only thing stopping you from waltzing right through 90% of what's just sitting there is the knowledge you've yet to acquire. Once you have the knowledge, you can go anywhere. Which I'm pretty sure is a deliberate metaphor and commentary about life outside the game.

The People's Republic of Clogher
My time with Elite may be coming to an end, at least for the moment.

It's my 'podcast game', y'see. Something I play while listening to podcasts, and a game which superseded Euro Truck Simulator 2 in that regard. It's a legit great game and miles better than those other menial job simulator games which seem inexplicably popular in Germany...

American Truck Simulator has now been released!

i gave into temptation and pre-ordered Xcom 2 (I usually never pre-order games), I know i'm weak. The reviews are saying it is really good, coupled with the fact that the gameplay I saw myself looks fantastic, I think it is gonna be incredible.

i gave into temptation and pre-ordered Xcom 2 (I usually never pre-order games), I know i'm weak. The reviews are saying it is really good, coupled with the fact that the gameplay I saw myself looks fantastic, I think it is gonna be incredible.
Yep, I did the same. I liked the XCOM reboot but didn't love it like so many did - Aliens headshotting you through walls got tiring after a while - but, by all accounts, XCOM 2 is better in pretty much every respect.

In other news, American Truck Simulator is fab. Bit disappointing that they've only included California and Nevada at launch but the game's just £14.99 and as their DLC is usually cheap or free I can live with it for now.

Great selection of C&W internet radio stations built in too. Rubber duck!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Tatty
My time with Elite may be coming to an end, at least for the moment...
It's definitely superior to Quarry Master Extreme, and Chance Encounters in Iceland (2002)

Yeah I'm about to set it down again until the next update, unless some juicy planetary goals crop up, or the alien storyline starts picking up. (Which given it's currently about 'barnacles' and perillous metals seems unlikely )

Exploring has been very purty in the meantime at least...

Have got caught up trying to smuggle my way to the next Fed rank back in the bubble, but rep chasing is probably a sign it's time to step away

---

Elsewhere I'm still stuck in a concrete box in an alternate dimension. I've stuck a wizard's tower on the top of it though, so feeling slightly happier about it

I think I'm about 35% rep with the Feds, and 5% with the SDP-Liberal Alliance but that's only come about because of ding more stuff in federation systems.

Bought my first rig in American Truck Simulator!

It's basically a Sidewinder and isn't very good at going up hills with a full load. As a car driver, I'd hate me the truck driver.

At least you don't start off towing a caravan

I don't even need the rank, is the silly thing. Was only upping it initially to get the Assault Ship, but then they released it at the wrong rank by mistake . Supposedly the military missions are getting storified this Season, but there ain't no 'soon' in 'supposedly'. Or storified for that matter

Don't do many missions, and the ones I attempt are mainly out of curiosity to see if they've gotten any better. Even the 200k ones aren't worth it any more as I can make twice that in half the time trading my Leestian Evil Juice to Wang City's Irish Centre.

There are about 50 male and female avatars available and each one looks like a different brand of murderer.

No lot lizards, though, which is probably a wise move.

Don't do many missions, and the ones I attempt are mainly out of curiosity to see if they've gotten any better. Even the 200k ones aren't worth it any more as I can make twice that in half the time trading my Leestian Evil Juice to Wang City's Irish Centre.
One day... one day they'll get them right. Supposedly the Spring update will have the next big assault on them. The 'personalisation' stuff sounds solid. Missions that reflect the state of the system better (war footing, famine etc) alongside the faces and persistent characters. Dealing with different characters if you piss them off. They sound like good convincers. Now... to see if the actual content changes stack up ...

One day... one day they'll get them right. Supposedly the Spring update will have the next big assault on them. The 'personalisation' stuff sounds solid. Missions that reflect the state of the system better (war footing, famine etc) alongside the faces and persistent characters. Dealing with different characters if you piss them off. They sound like good convincers. Now... to see if the actual content changes stack up ...
Thanks for the tip about rail guns, by the way. They're fantastic for whittling down shields or finishing guys off.

They are properly evil aren't they, even in diddy form . Felt I could take on anything mid-range even in the Asp.

(Plasma Accelerators on the other hand, are just a targeting tap-dance too far for me. Must be properly satisfying to eventually land a shot though )

Finally sat down for some quality time with Rise of the Tomb Raider tonight.

From the standpoint of it being an actual TR game rather than Uncharted-with-boobs, things look promising with actual tombs and stuff. Not the best running game in the world though - I get 80-90fps with everything maxed out but occasional massive stutters to 10fps. Dropping the texture quality down a notch seems to fix it and, to be honest, I can't tell the difference in detail.

Very High textures - 5.8GB VRAM used (my card's a 6GB monster so it should be ok).
High textures - 2.8GB VRAM, which is still nothing to be sniffed at.

Unless it gets patched, the only people who can max this game out and have a smooth experience are Titan X owners or the 6 people who've bought those new 8GB AMD cards.

It'll get patched. TR2013 had dodgy performance for anyone on Nvidia cards in the beginning and it's now a great port.

The game runs fine for me with texture resolution turned down to High - 100fps everywhere fine.