The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I'm hooked on The Last of Us right now. I love the interactions between the characters while playing, and Ellen Page did a terrific job with the voice acting.

BioWare has officially announced the fourth game in the Mass Effect franchise. It's called Mass Effect: Andromeda, and it takes the series to a whole new set of locations in the game universe. Some of these locations are teased in the trailer.

BioWare offered up a few details on the game:

"While we aren’t ready to go into too many details just yet, as you saw in the trailer and can tell by the name, this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy. You will play a human, male or female, though that’s actually not the character you saw in the trailer (more on that later). You’ll be exploring an all-new galaxy, Andromeda, and piloting the new and improved Mako you saw. And through it all, you will have a new team of adventurers to work with, learn from, fight alongside of, and fall in love with.

"We are thrilled by what we’ve already been able to achieve in bringing Mass Effect to Frostbite and by putting our entire focus on PC and current gen consoles. With the time remaining in development, we’re excited about the possibility to push things even more."
Mass Effect: Andromeda is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC. It won't be released until the holiday season of 2016.

Source: Geektyrant

The People's Republic of Clogher
Final Fantasy 7 remake?
Last Guardian?
Shenmue effin' 3?!?
Actual gameplay of No Man's Sky?
Media Molecule going buck weird?

I'm only half way through the Sony presser...

Mutha****in' SHENMUE!

It'll probably be awful...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oo, lots of woo about

Glad this is gonna flap into the daylight . I imagine they've been spending as much time making the core game & level design work as on solving tech probs as claimed. (The visuals don't look any different from the previous E3 . Stuff like the grass & model lighting almost looks a touch dated now, but sod it, it's another one where design and vibe is king )

Liking the apparent 'tell your naughty giant dog where to go' mechanic. Feels like it goes hand in glove with previous 'Come here ICO' & horse companion mechanics, which were solid and intuitive but involved an NPC that felt very much their own boss at times. Lots of telling-by-showing physics puzzling too. It's old school, but I'll be glad to see it if done right

Now... will it ever come to PC...
(If not looks like we'll have to settle for Ashen )

---

Arg, I do want this pulp in my life . (And for Elite to expand their more stark/neon version too). Good time for space exploration/survival 'sims' it seems

I still don't get how the procedural words will record the destructibility etc. I can only assume they'll only track it temporarily (which would be a shame for re-visits, or setting up a home world. I guess they might just store it client side. Not a huge biggie if others don't see it if it's not really about shared multiplay).

---

And yet I seem to be growing up. This didn't really excite me at all...

Maybe it's just I expected them to hit these notes. It looks pretty damn fine for an alpha E3 build (UI aside). I think possibly I'm just bored senseless of 'capture the flag / base' variants, even with the Battlefield fluid-vehicle-use approach. (Didn't help that the valley run looked really forced. Why bother, unless the flight height is capped crazily low?)

---

Loads of other intriguing stuff about too. Does look like Microsoft have got their house in order a bit this year. Back-catalogue is definitely a good move. (What a world, where we need market forces to deliver old functionality ). Mods too, mods are a great move. They really should make more use of the potential for PC crossover. I imagine lots of indie titles could be converted to controller use fairly painlessly.

On silly future stuff, I guess the 'hololense' schtick is intriguing. Can't see many people sitting round in Tron masks as long as it's in novelty land though, which'll be for quite some time I suspect.

Haha, Shenmue 3 hit it's 2mil kickstarter already

Haven't played any of the originals but like what they've done for open world gaming. (Although perhaps open worlds should go back in their box for a bit. After Fallout.... )

Really couldn't care less for Battlefront either. Mirrors my feelings about the movies, really.

Man, that Sony conference was an exercise in fan service. Actual exclusive new games? Very few.... possibly why they decided to go all out at heart string tugging. Shenmue was neat at the time, mainly because there was nothing quite like it, but when I tried to play Shenmue 2 again a few years ago I realised that it was a load of nonsense.

Nonsense that I'd probably take another chance on, however, but I'd rather someone like Swery was involved - Has Yu Suzuki still got a grasp of what's going on? In the last decade his name has only been attached to a few phone games.

Really couldn't care less for Battlefront either. Mirrors my feelings about the movies, really.
Ach, I've still got a big soft spot for the first three flicks and their rustbucket fantasy aesthetic. Just not sure it's gonna be enough to get me back into the point capture circle-jerk. The multi-layered vehicular whizz-bang might draw me back, with the new trappings, I'd just like to see some new modes out there in shoot-face land

I know you're not into that world though. (Otherwise I'd rag you and the others more to form up a Battlefield Z-Team )

*EDIT*

Dammit, now I've watched the co-op vid and that's worked for me a bit more. Even though it's a wave mode (bleh, bleh, blehhhh), it just had some little glimmers of teamwork, some nice particle effects (for some reason I find temporary vision impediment effects in shooters a really interesting aspect - being reduced to some very basic cues at a moment of high tension etc), the jetpacks in useful action. The CoD-esque storifying might be fun for a bit in that setting too. Just glimmers anyway...

Ach, I've still got a big soft spot for the first three flicks and their rustbucket fantasy aesthetic.
Same. I still get a rustle in the belly when I hear that music pick up. I'm still a sucker for anything which can make that happen.

Love that they're doing another South Park game, and trying to make it a little more gamer-y (though the original was absolutely on par, writing-wise, with the show. I liked it and so did Golgot and mastermetal777). And switching to superheroes is a fun idea, too. I dunno why, but it never even occurred to me they might do another (and I kinda checked out from E3 after the F4 stuff), so this was a nice surprise.

Oh, and since it's been awhile...

I've been playing The Long Dark again. Same super-long run that I was posting about before. Around 480 days, and I think we're all good after that snafu with one of the auto-updates.

I stopped playing long enough that my time would no longer get me on the first page of the global leaderboard, but I'm still in range if I stick it out a bit longer. Which might be tough because now there's freakin' bears around my base. Like, often enough that I'd probably have chosen another base if I were to do it again.

I'm out of antiseptic and have only a few bandage dressings, so pretty soon I'll have to start rolling with it after wolf fights and hope I don't get infected (1-in-4 chance, though I have a few antibiotics if it happens). Then I'll be down to using my last three bullets. All in all I think, if I can avoid any bad luck (and the bears) I might be able to get into the ~520 range currently necessary to make that leaderboard.

It'll be a relief, in part because they added more cool stuff with these updates that I can't really check out until this run is done. It'll be fun and freeing to start clean and just try stuff for awhile.

This is just one of a handful of game things (like finishing GTA V and Crimes and Punishments) that I absolutely must have done before the Fallout 4 behemoth comes along and takes over my PC time.

Oh, and (triple post!): Green Man Gaming has (had? Not sure) a coupon for Fallout 4 that knocked the price down to $45--they send you a Steam key closer to release. I pounced on it. Not gonna get cheaper than that anytime close to release, I wouldn't think.

There's a tiny chance this'll preclude me from preloading it and launching at midnight and all that fun stuff, but for $15, I can live with playing the next afternoon.

Same. I still get a rustle in the belly when I hear that music pick up. I'm still a sucker for anything which can make that happen.
All I can think of is dead-eyed Lucas merchandising vehicles and there was no bigger Star Wars fan than me back in the day. 'The day' being before he released the Episode IV remix.

The only actual Star Wars games I've liked were the old 80s arcade game and the KOTORs.

Also, I've pre-ordered stuff from GMG before. They usually release their keys at least 24hrs before the game goes live.

EDIT - Don't see any specific offers for Fallout on GMG right now. Was it a specific code or one of their general 20%-off ones? There always seem to be 15 or 20% coupon codes floating around.

Gah, I'll try to find it. The code was on another site. But yeah, I wonder if their generic coupon will do the same thing. I'll let you know if I figure out where on earth I saw it.

Don't sweat it Chris. Waaaaaay to early for me to order it so I probably ignored the GMG email - I've seen them do that before for big releases.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Well damn, Attila TW on 33% on daily deal, third game in a row I wanted getting weak discount...That sucks, at least Rome II was at 75%

I literally had a nerdgasm watching that Fallout 4 gameplay footage
I liked a lot of it - VATS now not pausing the game, the mobile app PipBoy etc. The one thing that jarred was the facial animation.

Bethesda have never been a graphical powerhouse but, boy, this looks dated now. Flick back and forth between conversations in what we've seen of Fallout 4 and what we've got in Witcher 3 and it's like looking at two different console generations.

In other news - Just Cause 3 coming in December, the FFVII remake is still a thing (and I'm kinda nonplussed by it) and Lara Croft actually gets to raid tombs again, which they specifically addressed in the Squeenix presser.

Best reveal from it, of course - New Deus Ex... early 2016.

EDIT - Neir 2 also announced. I liked Nier...