Am I the only one who hates Avatar????

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010

My main issue with Avatar is that it's too long, by the time that the tree was attacked I just wanted it to end and was losing interest.
The main issue with Avatar was that it sucked.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I've always thought that should be "at least half a brain." Otherwise it means the opposite of what it means, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, I think it was pretty bad, yeah, but I done used my words to explain why. It's important enough that its suckiness must be elaborated on and defended, especially since a lot of smart MoFos (Sedai, OG-, PW, Gol, Sleezy, Iro, and a handful of others) liked it alright. Most of them offered up caveats like "yeah, it's predictable and kind of goofy, but fun and gorgeous," but I wouldn't dismiss it too casually. I would dismiss it very, very formally.

I agree with some of the others, that it's main selling point was the visuals. That being said, I still enjoyed the movie, and enjoyed it on blu ray when it came out too. If any of you remeber the movie Ferngully, it is basically the same thing, same storyline, different setting and a little less animation.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I saw it in 3D, didn't see any excitement in it. Watched it again when it came out on Blu-Ray and still thought it was ok. I own it, but I own a lot of movies that I think are just ok. I don't see a need for a sequel, or for that matter, a trilogy. I think the story was told, the best way it could (which isn't saying much).
Whether the story warrants a follow-up treatment is less a consideration, than say how many mountains of moolah did it make.

See Pirates of the Carribean for example.

I've always thought that should be "at least half a brain." Otherwise it means the opposite of what it means, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, I think it was pretty bad, yeah, but I done used my words to explain why. It's important enough that its suckiness must be elaborated on and defended, especially since a lot of smart MoFos (Sedai, OG-, PW, Gol, Sleezy, Iro, and a handful of others) liked it alright. Most of them offered up caveats like "yeah, it's predictable and kind of goofy, but fun and gorgeous," but I wouldn't dismiss it too casually. I would dismiss it very, very formally.
Its def. what i refer to as a "Rubber and Glue" sorta movie. By the time i iwent to see it at the IMAX theatre here in town (I resisted going to the theatre), pretty much everything had been said, good bad or indifferent.

Avatar tripped a switch that transported me back through time and space to the 9 year old kid watching Star Wars -(Episode 4), and totally getting swept up in that universe.

If i was 9 today, I no doubbt would have cut lawns and cleaned out garages, chopped wood..whatever it took to scrounge up the dough to go see it again.

I'm not 9, so in all likelehood once was enough, though buyer of movies that i am, I'll no doubt aquire a previously viewed DVD just the same.

It's dazzling and beautifully designed. James Cameron always intends to deliver to a more widespread audience, and that's why this film was a success. The fact that the story begins with the "every man's man" twin telling the story instead of the educated scientist brother speaks volumes on that alone. I even read somewhere where he said that Neytiri, "has to have t-ts." He designed her to be anthropomorphic enough for us to identity with her as sexy and attractive... to make Jake Sully's attraction to her more plausible. I thought that was sort of sexist and annoying... but at the same time, it makes sense if you want to make a movie "look good."

The hype surrounding the film is irritating--of course, the hype surrounding anything is--and can serve as a huge turn off for just about anything. (Expect much worse from cosplayers if you ever visit a convention.) When I first saw the trailer for Avatar, I scoffed at it and thought it was going to be yet another cheese-tastic, CGI-fest with a superficial story line... much like many of the big Blockbuster films released lately.

When I read the ratings were really positive, I thought I would go see it. I actually fell in love with it. It's the only film I've seen as an adult to make me feel in awe like a little kid again. I honestly think that's what it's for--to dazzle, to look beautiful, and to deliver a simplified story that many people can relate to. Many of those aspects do ring superficial.

However, the parts of the story that appeal to me personally is the allegory; One technologically advanced race subjugates a more primitive race that lives in an undeveloped world in order to obtain their resources. I found it to be culturally and politically relevant to western history and today's issues in the Middle East, and that spoke to me. Some of Cameron's past work has made subtle commentary on corruption in corporations--original? Not really... but it's relevant to me.

The smaller plot (a la Dances with Wolves) is the part there to allow audiences to identify with the main character as he delves into the alien world--including his link, a female of the other race. This was the most predictable and least original portion of the film.

The originality in the story is the literal representation of "all life being connected" with the bio-neurological tendrils that transmitted electrical impulses of information from one living thing to the next. The "Ewya" tree stored the information--which I thought was a rather fascinating concept bringing together spirituality and science--where their afterlife is potentially their neural energy (memories/souls) being stored in a tree as a bank of biochemicals.

I'm also a huge tree-hugger--horticulturist/botanist, so it's obvious why I'm going to identify with the film on an emotional level, but I leave room for criticism as well.

Another thing I thought was interesting, was it's one of the rare occasions that alien life (excluding Star Wars, because this is in respect to people from Earth) are less technologically advanced than humans. It's the flipside of the norm, and here humans invade an alien planet for resources.

So with that, the movie appeals to the senses beautifully, aspects of the story line touched my heart and had a huge emotional impact on me, but I would never go as far as to hail it the best film of all time. It was, however, surprisingly more than I expected it to be--and as a blockbuster film, it definitely had more substance than most I've seen from Hollywood these days.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I'm so sick of the marketing companies leeching onto any successful endeavor so fast, and with so much fury, that the essence of a great movie, book, song, etc. dissipates quickly into a multi-tiered selling frenzy with tie-ins to McDonalds, Apple, Mountain Dew or Toyota. It really cheapens any work of art. Marketing considerations affect creative works before they are even conceived now. It's sad. Everything has turned into the Macarena. I'm putting my Blue 3D glasses on and going to sleep now.

[EARL STEPS OFF SOAPBOX, PAN TO PRODUCT SHOT OF MOUNTAIN DEW ON TABLE.]

i refused to see avatar because of its false advertising, up until about a week before it was released in theaters the only commercials for it on tv had no shots from the actual movie and instead showed only the title in the same font used for Avatar the last airbender, which on a side note was also a terrible film.

People Need To Re-Read **** Twice on Here
no , the movie is a piece of crap..
id rather watch the titanic a billion times in a row then watch avatar once.

"There's No F***ing Ice Cream In Your F***ing Future"

Not me

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I liked Avatar, probably because I am a big fan of all of Cameron's work. It is visually dazzling, well-directed and Zoe Saldana does give a solid performance as Neytiri. But I can see why people would not like it. While all his films are great, I feel Cameron has a problem with sentimentality. My movie buff cousin who hates James Cameron believes Cameron's only good film is The Terminator because it is a virtually emotionally, tech noirish, scary sci-fi experience. She believes Avatar is too sentimental for the Na'vi and their surroundings. This is a valid point, even though I don't care because Avatar is too fun to notice.

I think its a avergage movie really, abit overated, not on here but from what friends and family have said, also reviews everywhere praise it.

Avatar is really good, yes overhyped but is still the bee's knee's.

I didn't see it, so I can't actually comment on whether I liked it or not. However, I can say I didn't like the graphics from what I saw and as far as story goes, I couldn't get into Lord of the Rings, Avatar didn't seem any more appealing to me.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My girlfriend hates this movie....

She's never seen it.

Suspect's Reviews

very disappointing for me

Haven't read the whole thread yet but, no, you're not the only one. Horribly overratted. I don't see any difference in technology between this and Davy Jones in the Pirates movies. Actually, Davy Jones looked better. Just cause it's shot in 3-D doesn't mean jack. Or Jack.

I did not like it either.But its not that bad, I would give it a 5 out of 10

A system of cells interlinked

Says the guy with the avatar from a Rob Zombie film...

/facepalm