Shyamalan's Best Film?

Tools    

Which is your favorite of Shyamalan's widely-released films?
21.54%
14 votes
The Sixth Sense
26.15%
17 votes
Unbreakable
38.46%
25 votes
Signs
13.85%
9 votes
The Village
65 votes. You may not vote on this poll

What do you guys think? Most people would say The Sixth Sense. Many of his diehard fans go with Unbreakable (which might be my favorite). And there's certainly a strong case to be made for Signs. Vote in the poll above for your favorite!

For me, it's an Unbreakable/Signs coin flip. The former blew me away; the cinematography, the pacing, the fantastic tale brought down to earth as realistic fiction. It was painstakingly deliberate and just as patient.

Signs, on the other hand, pushed all my emotional buttons. It was genuinely scary and, yes, even genuinely moving. James Newton Howard reached new heights with the film's score, and it was refreshing to see a more human-oriented take on the alien invasion angle we'd seen so often in the past. It felt personal and epic all at once. When all was said and done, I'd seen it four times in the theaters, often going back just to see the reactions of the people I knew who were seeing it for the first time.

If forced to pick, I'd probably go with Unbreakable (which was my choice in the poll above), if only because I feel it has more value in repeating viewings. Ultimately, though, it depends on my mood.

Which is your favorite Night film?

Unbreakable.

I said Unbreakable though Signs and The Sixth Sense are very close by. The village put me to sleep.

You ready? You look ready.
Wow, this is a pretty close tie. Interesting.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

For me, it's a tie between Unbreakable and Signs. I loved both of them. My parents thought it was a horrible movie and they couldn't keep up with it. They didn't watch the whole movie when we saw it Saturday. I though it was really entertaining and some what funny. Signs was an emotional movie for me also. It showed what some people go through in life...with out the aliens though. I love all of his films and I am a big fan of Night.

There is no doubt the Sixth Sense was his best movie,for me that is.Signs had some scary moments and The Village didn't impress me at all.Still haven't watched Unbreakable and maybe i should watch it

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by B-card
There is no doubt the Sixth Sense was his best movie,for me that is.Signs had some scary moments and The Village didn't impress me at all.Still haven't watched Unbreakable and maybe i should watch it
For me I go back and forth between Unbreakable, which is my favorite to watch, and The Sixth Sense, which I feel is technically his best screenplay, and the most well played. Unbreakable is also exceptional on a technical level, and has one of my favorite scores of all time throughout. Signs is just behind those two films for me, as I love it, too! Gibson pulls me out of Signs sometimes with his over-reliance on his stock bag of acting tricks. The rest of the film is top notch.

I had to vote for The Sixth Sense, as i just rewatched it and was blown away, even though I have seen it almost a dozen times, just not in a year or so. I am different now, so the film was different this time around.

1. Unbreakable
GRADE: B-
2. The Sixth Sense
GRADE: B-
3. Signs
GRADE: C-
4. The Village
GRADE: D+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'd like to say that M. Night is by far my favourite director/screenwriter in the industry today...there are many reasons of course, but the one that stands out the most is his defiance to dissappoint...every movie, to me, is well acted, well shot, well written...well everything is well done

Unbreakable would be his best film in my opinion...

Horrorphiliac

Best line ever in a movie...
Like everyone else... toss up between Unbreakable/Sixth Sense and for me Signs/The Village.

The Village is getting a bad rap, though. I watch it now everytime it comes on HBO/Stars/ShowT whoever it is playing the thing now. But, when I saw the Village opening night the suspense that built toward seeing "those we don't speak of" was tremendous. We tend to forget that, after being disappointed by the hoax, I think. (Well, I shouldn't say disappointed... but the let down that the monsters weren't real.) I thought it very suspensful... and once I saw how it played out I found myself wishing I was apart of the Village, you know escape to the un-business and simplicity of their society that must have once used to exist.

The one disturbing aspect to me though are the kids who didn't know that the council was scaring the crap out of them. It must have been torment laying down at night knowing something that scary (potentially) and unknown exists just outside your playground.

I'm sticking up for the Village... I love it!

I'd say Sixth Sense is his best but that doesnt make it a good movie

everything after that was bad escpecially The Village

I really enjoyed Signs, but I also really liked Unbreakable. The other two were definetely nowhere near on par with those two.

Originally Posted by Yoda
What do you guys think? Most people would say The Sixth Sense. Many of his diehard fans go with Unbreakable (which might be my favorite). And there's certainly a strong case to be made for Signs. Vote in the poll above for your favorite!

For me, it's an Unbreakable/Signs coin flip. The former blew me away; the cinematography, the pacing, the fantastic tale brought down to earth as realistic fiction. It was painstakingly deliberate and just as patient.

Signs, on the other hand, pushed all my emotional buttons. It was genuinely scary and, yes, even genuinely moving. James Newton Howard reached new heights with the film's score, and it was refreshing to see a more human-oriented take on the alien invasion angle we'd seen so often in the past. It felt personal and epic all at once. When all was said and done, I'd seen it four times in the theaters, often going back just to see the reactions of the people I knew who were seeing it for the first time.

If forced to pick, I'd probably go with Unbreakable (which was my choice in the poll above), if only because I feel it has more value in repeating viewings. Ultimately, though, it depends on my mood.

Which is your favorite Night film?

I personally liked how you made the point about M. Night's stories portraying such things like and alien invasion or a man becoming a super hero in a more human-oriented way. This is especially what I most enjoy from his films. The way he tells them. Many filmmakers can show a flying saucer in the sky or a crowd of people running in terror from aliens carrying plasma rifles. What Night does is tell the story from certain people and the way it effects them. We can focus on the way they react to such an event. We're not thrown around from point of view to point of view.

I personally voted for "Signs" for many reasons. To keep it simple I'll just state the main reasons. For one I think the purity of how it was portrayed was genius. How each character was affected by the impending invasion. An example would be the scene where they were going to eat what they thought might be their last dinner. Another reason why I chose this film was because of the powerful message it had. The possibility that everything happens for a reason. Most people were disapointed thinking there was no twist in this story. Most of those people also didn't understand the story in the first place. I am not surprised they didn't understand the twist.

Even though I chose this film over the others, I still feel all the films are no better or worse than eachother. Each film has it's own unique story, style, and message. I felt the message from Signs was the most engaging for me.

Originally Posted by Terminator734
I'd say Sixth Sense is his best but that doesnt make it a good movie

everything after that was bad escpecially The Village
IF you dislike his films so much, why waste your time telling people who are not only fans of his work, but also don't care at all what your negative opinions are?

I'm sure their are plenty of other forums you can visit to express your opinions with others that feel the same way.

Lost in never never land
Unbreakable.

I haven't seen Sixth Sense yet, but Signs and The Village, I was not all that impressed with. Unbreakable was much more unique in its plot then either Signs or The Village, both of which I guessed most of the suprise twists right away.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Originally Posted by B-card
Because of this thread I've watvhed Unbreakable yesterday and along with the Sixth sense those are his best movies.
I start re-watching Unbreakable today, too. Ironically enough, my first copy of it broke (no joke), so I had to open a second I had lying around.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I start re-watching Unbreakable today, too. Ironically enough, my first copy of it broke (no joke), so I had to open a second I had lying around.
Hah. Unbreakable indeed.

(Sorry, sorry)

For what it's worth, i loved the concepts, twist, and execution in Unbreakable. But i ain't seen the others

(And my excuse? I was in another country when the first two came out - and the plots/twists were swiftly ruined for me on my return. And then The Village got ruined for me on MoFo . I think perhaps this is one flaw you could point out with Nighty. His all-important-twist can be exposed in the blink of an eye. Execution not withstanding)

A system of cells interlinked
Oh, would that be the copy you had for the contest a couple of years ago?