Your take on downloading movies

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
I know I'm awesome. You don't have to tell my twice.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The problem with illegal dvd downloading is that it is just so easy. Kids these days see it as an easy alternative to obtain things via the internet rather than spending money they might not have.

Yes there is still individual blame for the person who downloads a pirate copied movie, but surely the sheer scale of people doing this reflects something? Society is so consumer driven now that people have to have EVERYTHING now. There just isn't enough floating around for people to get all the eye candy that is on offer. So they take an option which is easier and there is little chance of being caught. They just download and burn a movie.

Its frigging easy to do...anyone can do it. This site for example: How to burn a dvd movie tells a complete noob how to "backup" a dvd. Should that be illegal??? Should the ISP be prosecuted? Should the movie industry invest more in copy protection?

Film Fan
Here's a question. Once we buy a DVD, do you think it is morally right to use questionable software to rip the DVD for our computer viewing or portable device? {iPod, iPhone, etc.] ?

Because it seems that studios have started including that Bonus Digital Copy to combat this very thing.

Movies I have on my iPhone;

The Dark Knight [Copy came with Blu-Ray]

Here's a question. Once we buy a DVD, do you think it is morally right to use questionable software to rip the DVD for our computer viewing or portable device? {iPod, iPhone, etc.] ?
Yep! Once I buy it, I'll watch it on whatever item I own, that will play it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, I don't have a problem with this. Reminds me of the days we used to tape our vinyl albums to cassette to listen to them elsewhere.

I figure that, as long as that movie is still only being watched one time at a time (since it's always me -- either on the DVD player or the iPod), then it's not depriving anyone of any money. I'm just choosing to watch it at a different place.

But if I were ripping it to the computer so that I could watch it on the computer WHILE someone else is watching the DVD elsewhere, then that's depriving the company of money because two people are now watching it at the same time.

Film Fan
Personally, I think that since I have triple-dipped on Oldboy, literally. I have bought the single-disc SD edition (20$.), the Ultimate Collector's Edition SD (60$), then the Blu-Ray (25$), I have earned at least being able to turn it into an MPEG-4 and put it on my iPhone... anyone know how to hardsub a DVD rip/MPEG-4?

My life isn't written very well.
Not sure if this applies. But around the internet I've found that some sites give you the option of just watching it (a movie, usu. a still-in-theater movie) on a stream, then of course there's the other option of downloading.

Is just watching a movie on a stream illegal?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Most of the stuff I like I can buy for 5 bucks or less either at a retailer or on amazon. I like my DVD collection, I like the cases, the extras etc and I like not feeling guilty about ripping someone off no matter how far removed I may be from them.

The only thing I've ever copied from the internet is documentary and or television that isn't available on DVD. Mostly it's true crime stuff from the 60's, 70's & 80's.

So yeah, I don't download movies illegally. I do download legally from public domain though. Lots of great stuff out there that no one owns the rights to anymore.

Not sure if this applies. But around the internet I've found that some sites give you the option of just watching it (a movie, usu. a still-in-theater movie) on a stream, then of course there's the other option of downloading.

Is just watching a movie on a stream illegal?
Aye. A lot of people seem to have been taken in (I don't mean you) by technicalities like this. A number of sites have taken advantage of the loophole that allows you to link to pirated videos, so long as you're not the one hosting them. So, videos are uploaded to some second-tier YouTube clone based in a foreign country, and they post the links publicly, directing any MPAA complaints to the upload sites, I believe. The link posting isn't illegal, so the site itself isn't, but the uploading and viewing still is.

At least, this is my understanding of things. Each country has different laws. I have to imagine that this will be stopped somehow before long, though.

But if I were ripping it to the computer so that I could watch it on the computer WHILE someone else is watching the DVD elsewhere, then that's depriving the company of money because two people are now watching it at the same time.
If you're going to be that strict, then wouldn't you just never loan one out at all? Once you've loaned the movie out to others, those people will never have to spend money on renting them, or buying them. They can just check your's out.

im crap on computers and my friend taught me how to download dvd quality versions of movies that had only been out days in the cinema. Some had not even came out yet. Its is no wonder millions of people are doing it as u install a program which takes 2 minutes then go on one of about 30 websites that have every movie you can think of. And hey presto you have a full movie in 1 hour put on a 10 pence disc. I myself am against it and go the cinema to enjoy them but its not like the old days were the copies were awful they are like buying a dvd from the shops. Its scary how much bigger and bigger its getting and destroying the movie industry.

I hear this aXXo guy is the man for pirated movies. There's even a documentary coming out titled 'Searching for aXXo' as his identity is unknown. Some say the authorities know who he is but are waiting for him to turn 18 so they can deliver harsher penalties for his pirating. The things is that he has found a way to compress movies into approximately 700mb to be uploaded onto torrent sites, maintaining their usual quality. Personally playing these movies on my computer sucks because I need a video card, and I don't know how to convert these to a format that can be burnt onto a DVD and played on my player. Until somebody tells me how to do this (hint hint) I don't download movies, just a whole lot of music.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I hear this aXXo guy is the man for pirated movies. There's even a documentary coming out titled 'Searching for aXXo' as his identity is unknown. Some say the authorities know who he is but are waiting for him to turn 18 so they can deliver harsher penalties for his pirating. The things is that he has found a way to compress movies into approximately 700mb to be uploaded onto torrent sites, maintaining their usual quality. Personally playing these movies on my computer sucks because I need a video card, and I don't know how to convert these to a format that can be burnt onto a DVD and played on my player. Until somebody tells me how to do this (hint hint) I don't download movies, just a whole lot of music.
Sounds like a lot of bs to me. THe divx codec has been around for a good 10 years and its developers are widely known. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX

If you want to watch a divx film on your standalone player, all you have to do is burn it as a data disc with nero. Most newer players support divx.

Oh and you don't have a video card on your computer? Does it come from the 90's? *unsure*

Since we seem to be using wikipedia of all places as a reference, here you go:

aXXo is the Internet alias of an individual allegedly harassed by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) for copyright infringement. aXXo became popular for converting commercial DVD movies into media files that are then uploaded on the Internet for free download. The resulting files are easily distributed via the Internet and can be viewed on a personal computer.
aXXo files are popular among the file sharingg community using peer-to-peer file sharing protocols, such as BitTorrent. Eric Garland, the CEO of download-tracking firm BigChampagne, found that 33.5% of movies downloaded, during a random sampling, were aXXo torrents. The aXXo files gained popularity due to the fact that aXXo produces files of comparatively small size and consistently good quality. File sizes are approximately 700 MB – the same size as a Compact Disc. Because of aXXo's reputation for re-encoded quality, the aXXo name is sometimes faked as an identifying source by a variety of imitators.

But I don't really give a *****, I just saw a little clip on CBC here in Canada about it the other day at my brothers. As for the video card, I have no clue if I have one or not, I come across certain things sometimes and I'm not about to explain how or why on here. I know jack about computers, but I do know that movies don't play too well on my computer, I have an old monitor, and I hate Nero.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The music industry is still here. Everyone thought it would be the end because of Napster. Nope. They still make millions

how many people thought the radio would be over because of TV? Or that seeing a movie in the theatre would be over because there was now home entertainment.

Downloading will not end movies. The problem will be how long till they adapt to the new medium.

Suspect's Reviews

I have a hunch that the intraweb will effectively put most Newspapers out of business but who cares right? Nobody reads anymore anyway right?

Oh, and I may never buy another DVD as long as I live. Except for those lovely blank ones that come in packs of 100 for about 40 bucks. Now that is a bargain.

I've never done it, not because of some moral reasoning, I just don't have the patience.

...uh the post is up there...

Yeah, the newspaper is the one thing I see dying out.
With the recent invention of electronic paper, it will just be a matter of downloading the very latest news and reading it where you want to. There are always places that will be boring where reading a newspaper is good, like on public transport, going to work.

I've never done it, not because of some moral reasoning, I just don't have the patience.

u have not got the patience?? it takes 2 minutes to click on it and open up with u torrent. Then 45 minutes for the download. then put it on a disc. I was astonished at how easy it was when shown by my friend. He showed me with "paul blart mall cop" weeks before its theater release and it was as clear as a dvd from the shops. U can now even get blu ray copies.