The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Hmm, is this multiplayer of the single player campaign you're talking about? Sounds like MP, in which case it might not matter because, as unusual as it may be, I usually get a lot out of the single player stuff and in this case I might not bother with the MP. I don't like playing online unless I have the time to really get good at it, so I only bother with it for a few select games.

In the Beginning...
Well, the Sngle Player component will certainly be great too (and funny!), but there's no question that the majority of the developer's focus falls on Multiplayer. Rest assured that the Campaign will be longer than Modern Warfare, though... and from what I'm hearing, far better.

The greatest thing about the Battlefield MP is that it's almost entirely objective-based, and streamlined to a meticulous degree toward that aim, so that you rarely get the frustrations of random deathmatch like spawn-killing, running-and-gunning, etc. No one player can bring about a win alone; you HAVE to work together.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Geez, White Knight Chronicles is dull.

Every JRPG cliché in the book and, by gad, they're so tired by now. It'll be getting traded for FFXIII on the 9th...

The Heavy Rain box is nice and shiny, for that's as far as I've got with it.

Geez, White Knight Chronicles is dull.

Every JRPG cliché in the book and, by gad, they're so tired by now. It'll be getting traded for FFXIII on the 9th...

The Heavy Rain box is nice and shiny, for that's as far as I've got with it.
That's disappointing. I was looking forward to White Knight Chronicles.

A system of cells interlinked
The JRPG genre has gone right in the dump, it seems. Aside from the excellent MegaTen stuff (not for the impatient) and the wonderful Dragon Quest 8 on PS2, I just haven't had as much fun with the more traditional JRPGs lately. Sure, Persona kicked MUCH ass, but I can't really call that a straight up RPG. That's still in the Megaten universe anyway...

I haven't been compelled to stay up playing until the wee hours by a story in an RPG in quite some time. I think the last Final Fantasy game perhaps...

Man, I miss Chrono Trigger

Good to see you back around, Justin!

I agree with you on Dragon Quest 8, in fact one of the reasons I ignored the largely negative/nonplussed reviews for White Knight Chronicles was because it was also made by Level 5.

If FFXIII and FF Vs XIII are no good then I'm proclaiming the genre officially dead. DS and PSP have a few decent ones (and they're largely Final Fantasy sequels and remakes) but nothing on the main consoles this gen has been anything other than average. Lost Odyssey is still the pick of a mediocre bunch for me.

Where are this gen's Xenosagas and Suikodens? On the DS, it seems, and that's a real shame.

Heavy Rain is very good. Not brilliant but very good.

I'm getting a bit sick of wiggling the controller for EVERY ASPECT OF EVERY LITTLE THING the character you're in charge of is attempting - it can be an interactive experience without having to shake the DS3 horizontally and then vertically when a guy is brushing his teeth, fer frig's sake.

I do enjoy the overall tone and the subtlety of the decision making, though, and it's nowhere near as short as I was expecting.

There's some pretty gratuitous female nudity too, which is bound to shift a few copies among the sweaty classes once word gets around.

You ready? You look ready.
I popped in Bioshock 2 last night and played for about an hour before my eyes gave out (it was late and I had to sit closer to the tele than I would have liked). Should have it beat by the end of this weekend as I get pretty wrapped up in games like this one.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You ready? You look ready.
Alright, I'm about half-way through Bioshock 2 and all I can say is it's just as fantastic as the first one. I'm going to sit down and finish it today.

Finished Heavy Rain this afternoon and I'll stand by what I said about it being very good but not great.

As a game it's got clunky controls and far too many quick time events but an excellent story, graphics (apart from a few noticeable glitches) and voice acting.

As an interactive movie it's got a pretty hackneyed serial killer plot, TV Movie directing and just about adequate voice acting.

All aspects are a lot better than Fahrenheit and it's a significant step down the road to a destination I'm not sure I really want to visit. I'd rather watch movies and participate in games...

...Although you do a heck of a lot of watching in Metal Gear Solid 4 and I love it, and there are gonna be large amounts of thumb-twiddling in FFXIII next week.

The JRPG genre has gone right in the dump, it seems. Aside from the excellent MegaTen stuff (not for the impatient) and the wonderful Dragon Quest 8 on PS2, I just haven't had as much fun with the more traditional JRPGs lately. Sure, Persona kicked MUCH ass, but I can't really call that a straight up RPG. That's still in the Megaten universe anyway...

I haven't been compelled to stay up playing until the wee hours by a story in an RPG in quite some time. I think the last Final Fantasy game perhaps...

Man, I miss Chrono Trigger

Good to see you back around, Justin!
It's good to be back.

I agree with you though. It's been awhile since I've really looked forward to a RPG, which used to be my favorite genre to play. Nearly every recent RPG follows the same mundane archetype, it isn't exciting anymore.

And yes, Chrono Trigger was great.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A friend finished the game and told me that while playing it he was constantly frustrated with it. BUT, looking back at his experience, he really liked the game.

Suspect's Reviews

Not sure how far I am into Heavy Rain, but I'd say it's giant leap from Indigo Prophecy (Farenheit to you outworlders). The QTE parts of Heavy Rain are damn fun to play, unlike the really poorly animated ones of Farenheit. Choice making has never been nearly as dramatic in a video game either.

The minute I get my hands on a PS3, though, I'm still playing it.
Oh yeah, it's well worth owning and I'll definitely be giving it a complete playthrough (as opposed to replaying individual chapters) to see what different choices accomplish. Dunno quite when that will be, though.

The PS3 finally seems to have hit its stride with developers getting their head around the thing's power and how to code for it.

Registration of the trophy information could not be completed. The game will quit.

Sony fails today