Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Good grief, Arsenal don't make things easy do they?

I watched the match with a morose Man Utd fan (about to head off to Brazil for the World Cup, jammy sod) who kept saying "Even Bruce would have been better than Moyes" for 120 sodding minutes.

Has Steve Bruce eaten Danny Graham?
I was thinking something similar. Where did that come from?

I've heard a few people wondering aloud what it would've been like with Hughes or Bruce in charge of United this season. I might've gone with Hughes, considering his time at City, but I think, this time last year, I'd have plumped for Moyes of the three. Obviously now I'd go for either of the other two.

The People's Republic of Clogher
He was always a big bloke, even when he was playing, but he seems to have ballooned in the last 12 months.

Embarrassing post match interview too. Shame, I usually find him quite a good guy.

He was always a big bloke, even when he was playing, but he seems to have ballooned in the last 12 months.
You're not wrong. I don't remember hin being that big even 2 or 3 months ago. BTW, how long do you think it'll take Rooney to overtake Maradonna and Ronaldo as the fattest ex-footballer once he retires? I'd say about 6 months at most.

Embarrassing post match interview too. Shame, I usually find him quite a good guy.
I didn't see it. What did he say?

Basically that Arsenal's first goal wasn't a free kick (it kinda was) and the corner which resulted in their second was actually a goal kick (which it was, but no shame in the ref missing it).

Did you see the footage of Dean Windass getting Hull promoted at the start of the coverage? I'd forgotten how fat he'd become in his last few seasons - He's a hefty bloke now but seems thinner than when he was playing.

No, I didn't see any of the coverage. I was all ready to watch the game and then just did something 'for 5 minutes' which meant that I turned the game on just before Arsenal got their freekick which lead to their first goal. So Hull were already 2-0 up. I've still not seen their goals.

I was thinking the other day about players that'd struggle to have a career now because of their weight. Le Tiss, Windass and Quinn were the first that sprang to mind.

Even though Robbie Savage is the biggest arse I've seen on a football pitch, Colin Clarke had the biggest arse I've seen on a football pitch. Sadly, for comedy purposes, he's not morphed into a Bruce-style Michelin man.

He's coach of the Des Moines Thunderhumpers or something.

Decent player in his day. Massive arse on him though.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Let us never talk of this again...

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
PSG have bid 50m for Luiz.

Wow, that is shocking. He's not worth anywhere near that amount.

I might have to watch that film, if only to see if it's possible to sit through.

I saw that PSG are said to've offered £50m for Luiz, but as I haven't heard the sound of Mourinho's teeth severing PSG's arm, I'm assuming it hasn't happened.

My only concern for the summer is are United actually going to buy anyone before the WC? Or am I going to have to hear multiple stories every day about who we are/aren't buying? Save us from the close season.

I'm not too bothered about Kroos not coming to United for £40m, but I'm gutted that he's not coming for £20m. I think that pretty much covers all the stories about his coming to United/staying at Bayern. Never expected Muller to turn up, regardless of how little he's played this season. I wonder if Van Gaal doubted his attitude and how he'd adapt to working with him.

I'd like James McCarthy to come to United. Fancy Fellaini and £5m, Everton? You might laugh, but apparently we're offering Tom Cleverley in part exchange. Yeah, now you're liking the sound of Fellaini, aren't you?

The papers say that Arsenal are looking at Schneiderlin for £12m. £12m! United, get your chequebook out and offer £12,000,000.01. Seriously, though, I think he's quality and I'd like to see him at United. Especially for that money.

I'd like James McCarthy to come to United. Fancy Fellaini and £5m, Everton? You might laugh, but apparently we're offering Tom Cleverley in part exchange. Yeah, now you're liking the sound of Fellaini, aren't you ?

Seriously?

Well, maybe Martinez will play Big Screech in his best position - bombing forward from behind the striker. It always mystified me that he was seen as a holding/ball-winning midfielder when his best spells seemed to be playing as a younger, thinner Lampard.

The Cleverly to Everton rumour seems to be doing the rounds. Can't see it - They've already got Darren Gibson, and I've seen him pass the ball forwards.

I think it came from Moyes buying him as a cental midfielder and having to use him up front and him being successful as a deep lying attacking midfielder (I think that sums up where he played) the problem was that we didn't need that at United and, if Moyes used him that way, then that meant leaving out a more traditional player in that position and Moyes never had the confidence or, IMO,the backing for making a decision that big. What we did/do need is midfield, so that's where he went. Sadly, and it wasn't helped by his injury or the lateness of his arrival, he just seemed completely overawed at United.

He just seemed a weird signing from the outset, even weirder when it was his old manager doing the signing. My Man Utd fanatic cousin and my stepdad (who's actually from Salford so I don't rib him about it) both think the signings this summer will be less than stellar.

Players who will get them top 4, basically. The really good guys will come in summer 2015.

I admire their confidence.

I think similar to them. I'm not expecting 4 or 5 top signings, but I'm expecting 3 or 4 good signings, around £15m-£20m. Maybe another one or two depending on who leaves.

The one expensive signing I think might come off is Luke Shaw. I thought he was nailed on for Chelsea and, with Cole looking like he's off it'd make sense, but some of those saying he's going to United seem to be saying it with more confidence than bluster. We shall see.

Unless Evra is staying because VG's not looking at anyone at Left Back, then I think those two battling for the same spot should do Shaw's development a great deal of good.

I like the Daily Mirror's story about Liverpool's "surprise" £10m bid for Emre Can at Bayer Leverkusen. Is this the same "surprise" deal that's been mentioned in a few of the papers this week? If so, then it's also the same "surprise" deal that I hadn't heard anything about until last Sunday... When I heard Raphael Honigstein mention it on BT's European Football Show. I'm sure BT will be pleased to know that Fleet Streets journos are watching. Unless I'm mistaken, I think he also described it as a "surprise". Do these journos not own a thesaurus?

Athletico. So close. So very, very close. Just like 40 years ago, except this time they didn't have to wait a few days before being hammered.

QPR are back as well. I think Bobby Zamora is a bit like the playing version of his manager.

I don't mind that Real won. It's a bit like the cup final last week, although I wanted the underdog to win, I had no problem with who won. Especially Arsenal last week. Not something I'd usually say.

I was pleased to see Bale score the winning goal (I don't get this winning goal being the last goal unless it is the winning goal) after the chances he'd missed, especially the first one, with Athletico scoring so soon afterwards.

So, Spurs fans, what do you think? I think Pochettino is a good manager, but I don't know that he'll do any better than AVB. The players that were bought last season have now had a season to bed in, so you'd hope to see more from those that stay.

I don't know anything about Jordy Clasie and Bruno Martins Ind, to my shame, except that VG seems to really like Martins Ind. A little reading makes it sound like I'll like him, too, especially when people start to throw around the name Jaap Stam, possibly my all time favourite centre back, around about him. We desperately need, at least, one centre back at United this summer and I'm all for the big dominating, no nonsense kind.

I was hoping that VG would look to his extensive knowledge of the young Dutch players to bring to United and this looks like something we might see continue. If there's any truth in it, of course.